Possible Apple Allergy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-10-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My second DD has always choked on the skins of apples. I mean it. Every time she eats apples, she chokes on the skin, or at least cannot breathe. I don't know if it's an allergy reaction, or if its something else. I haven't talked to her doctor about it, mostly because she doesn't eat apples all that much, so i don't usually worry about it much, but i'm asking this now because the other day my dd was home alone with a cold and was hungry, so she ate an apple. she couldn't breathe and had to force it out by herself. now she's terrified and refuses to eat apples now. of course, that's a good thing that she did, i guess, but now i'm wondering if its a reaction or not.

Raising three crazy girls in a loving home in IL. One notes.gif lil writer, bellyhair.gifActor (not belly dancer! Please!) and of course, our lil one says asl.gifgrouphug.gif "We're all in this together"... (high school musical-- EEP!).

#2 of 12 Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Take the skins off?  How old? 

I would not think it's an allergy.  Sounds more like a kid thing to me.  They can choke on things depending on the age.

#3 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 PM

I know a little boy who is allergic to apple skins. He does fine with peeled apples. Hope that helps!

#4 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM

Some people are sensitive to salicylates which are found in apples. You normally hear about it causing behavior problems in kids, but I think it can cause physical problems in rare people.

#5 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM

That sounds like my problem with milk from the time I was about 4 years old on. I opened a carton of sour milk and drank it and I pretty much had a physical reaction to drinking it ever since. I would smell fresh milk as a kid and feel like I was going to throw up, I think it was just the memory of getting sick the one time. If she has a big fear of choking on apples, she may well not eat them ever. However, I would say that in things like apple pie, its weird that she would choke on the skin.

Also, I wanted to add that when I saw this come up in New Posts, I spit my water all over the screen because your user name led me to believe that you were posting about having an allergy to Apple computer products. ROTFLMAO.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Apple skins are really, really tough to chew, aren't they?  I mean, even I find that I haven't chewed as well as I could and had an apple skin stick in my throat for a minute.  I would lean towards a mechanical problem first.  

How old is she?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 12 Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Here's an interesting little article http://www.ehow.com/about_5108205_signs-symptoms-apple-allergy.html

I just googled "apple skin allergy". According to this apple allergy is big for Oral Allergy Syndrome, which would make sense why it would affect her throat.

Maybe she is just associating it with choking and therefor not wanting to eat it again but...my girls have choked on foods before and it has never kept them from wanting to eat the food again.

Either way, I think you are wise to use caution. How does she do with cooked apples? Maybe you could try making some applesauce and see how she does with that.

#8 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Take the skins off?  How old? 

I would not think it's an allergy.  Sounds more like a kid thing to me.  They can choke on things depending on the age.

she is eight years old. and what do you mean by a 'kid thing'?

Quote:
some people are sensitive to salicylates which are found in apples. You normally hear about it causing behavior problems in kids, but I think it can cause physical problems in rare people.

Interesting. I actually think my daughter is allergic to that! I just googled it, and the symptoms sound a lot like what my daughter has/has had/had. Still, I'm not sure.

Quote:
That sounds like my problem with milk from the time I was about 4 years old on. I opened a carton of sour milk and drank it and I pretty much had a physical reaction to drinking it ever since. I would smell fresh milk as a kid and feel like I was going to throw up, I think it was just the memory of getting sick the one time. If she has a big fear of choking on apples, she may well not eat them ever. However, I would say that in things like apple pie, its weird that she would choke on the skin.

Also, I wanted to add that when I saw this come up in New Posts, I spit my water all over the screen because your user name led me to believe that you were posting about having an allergy to Apple computer products. ROTFLMAO.gif

That makes sense, too. That might have happened to her, considering her fear of apples and all that.

As a side note: when you said that about Apple computer products- that just brightened my entire day! It was funny, because I was skimming through my emails on my phone at work, and when I read what you said, I was laughing so hard that I started crying. And then my boss came into the room, and he gave me this look, like "What is this lady doing? Is she crazy or something?" and that just made me laugh harder! Thanks.

Quote:

Here's an interesting little article http://www.ehow.com/about_5108205_signs-symptoms-apple-allergy.html

I just googled "apple skin allergy". According to this apple allergy is big for Oral Allergy Syndrome, which would make sense why it would affect her throat.

Maybe she is just associating it with choking and therefor not wanting to eat it again but...my girls have choked on foods before and it has never kept them from wanting to eat the food again.

Either way, I think you are wise to use caution. How does she do with cooked apples? Maybe you could try making some applesauce and see how she does with that.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. But yeah, it makes sense, kind of. And yes, I tried applesauce on her the other day. She was refused to eat it. But then she got hungry and ate some, but not all of it. Her reaction was fine, so I'm not sure what exactly is happening here. Maybe I'll try calling her doctor next Mon. to see what's going on, but I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone!

Raising three crazy girls in a loving home in IL. One notes.gif lil writer, bellyhair.gifActor (not belly dancer! Please!) and of course, our lil one says asl.gifgrouphug.gif "We're all in this together"... (high school musical-- EEP!).

#9 of 12 Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

:) I was thinking little kid/not chewing enough/choking thing.  Not the case with her being 8 :)

OAS sounds reasonable.  It often doesn't happen when they are cooked so it could be.

Good luck!

#10 of 12 Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We have the same issue except dd has never stopped breathing. I was suprised when she complained about the skin even when given organic apples and thought it was another of her fussy fits. Now that I know i will be extra careful she doesn't eat it because her allergy to pistachio and cashew causes her to have breathing issues. Does ur dd have any other food allergies?

If I've done nothing wrong, and my attitude is well-meaning, a difficult situation is just a test for my ability to remain beyond the judgement of others ~ Unknown
#11 of 12 Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

We're not sure, but we do know she has eczema on her right hand, and her nose is ALWAYS stuffed up. but she is so used at this point to all of the above that she never really complains about it. we never did any tests to determine what allergies she has otherwise. Oh, and I forgot to add that we know she's allergic to perfume and the medicine Bactrim for sure. 

#12 of 12 Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks. We've never done an allergy test either. Dd's not vaccinated so we are holding off on it until she is more ready for a blood draw. But we know for sure about pistachio and cashew from her reactions. Since we became vegan in the middle of this year for health reasons we have eliminated dd's dairy too. I am not sure if it was the elimination that helped but this year her asthma (wheezing) was down to like 3 days in fall (change of season.) Last year she was on her emergency meds every night for several days, maybe a couple of weeks.

If I've done nothing wrong, and my attitude is well-meaning, a difficult situation is just a test for my ability to remain beyond the judgement of others ~ Unknown

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page