Is it possible that bulk rice from our HFS is contaminated with ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-21-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we had been on a fairly good stretch for her (few days) with dd2's poops like formed ish. Which was really an improvement from not formed at all sourish explosions. Last night she insisted on having some of the fresh brown rice I had just cooked. So I gave her less than 1/4 cup of it. This morning around 8am she pooped and it was not as nice as before less formed and there was obvious rice grains in there. Then at 6pm she had a not formed at all explosion with obvious whole rice grains in it. When I looked back in the food diary this has happened before. One time just a few hours after eating the rice. 

I don't think the problem is rice exactly because when she had the good poops she was eating rice noodles (tinkyada). 

Could the rice bin be contaminated or something? We have never given her gluten but I am intolerant and her sis reacts emotionally/tantrums.

On a side... we had for the longest time been giving her puffed rice and puffed millet as a snack (arrowhead mills/natures path), which she loved. And in a effort to figure out the exploding poops I cut them out. They both do not say certified gluten free.

We also for a short period were giving her gluten free rice cakes (she didn't really like them though since they are pretty hard). 

I want to say after taking those things out things (poop) got better. Not overnight though. So I added back rice noodles since she was very jealous watching sissy eat them. 

So the noodles seem to be ok but the whole grain does not? 

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 AM

Ds2 has that explosive poop thingy sometimes. I've noticed that too much fibre can be a problem. Puffed ride and rice noodles are more broken down and could be easier on the stomach. Maybe you can try doing half brown rice and half white rice and see if it makes a difference? Also make sure she really chews her food.
#3 of 5 Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM

I would be very careful using bulk food. The chance from cross contamination is very high. I have seen stores put gluten free and non gluten free flours right next to each other. People always switch the scoops around in those bins also.

Also if they didn't sanitize the bin before refilling it, who knows what the previous product was, trace could be left behind.

My daughter is very sensitive to even small amounts of gluten, so I avoid the bulk bins, to risky. HTH

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

#4 of 5 Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3monkees View Post

I would be very careful using bulk food. The chance from cross contamination is very high. I have seen stores put gluten free and non gluten free flours right next to each other. People always switch the scoops around in those bins also.

Also if they didn't sanitize the bin before refilling it, who knows what the previous product was, trace could be left behind.

My daughter is very sensitive to even small amounts of gluten, so I avoid the bulk bins, to risky. HTH

If it were cross contamination, would it be gluten?  I have never given her anything with gluten. She did get it through my milk in the first weeks of her life. Until the point where she had mucus and juice for poop. This went on for months and months. It eventually got better, but I had taken out a lot of foods and I'm not sure what was exactly causing the mucus. 

I guess once her poops get better I could try it to see if she does react by just giving her gluten. 

The other weird thing about this poop drama is that her poop is loose yet she has not had any allergy ring around her bum hole for quite some time. So confusing to me. 

She is also teething now for sure. Chewing on her fingers a lot. This can cause loose poop, I have no idea exactly, but I've read that. 

Sigh.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#5 of 5 Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM

Started to reply earlier, but lost my electricity! LOL

It could be gluten or it could be something else. My experiences is with gluten. But if you are trying to figure out what is bothering her, you need to be very careful with cross contamination and reading ingredients. The only way to determine what the problem is, is to very carefully monitor her food intake and keep a journal.

Even if she can handle rice pasta, she may not be able to handle the whole grain. My daughter  can eat products made with corn, not excessively but in moderation even popcorn. But even a few kernals of whole corn and she is in pain. She is also lactose and casein intolerant. But can handle small amounts of dairy in baked goods.

So sometimes even the form the food comes in can be a problem. HTH

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page