I need your thoughts & experiences on balancing the gut and alternative therapies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 16mo DS is allergic to a whole host of foods. He vomits/hives to Milk, Eggs, Peas and gets contact hives from Wheat, Soy, and Dog and TONS of other unidentified foods. He has positive prick and/or IgE tests also for Peanut, Almond, Coconut, Corn and Pollen. He is 60-80% breastfeed, and I do not restrict my diet. He has asthma (episodes when sick), chronic runny nose, and very mild excema (under control right now). 

My doc says to feed him foods that he can tolerate eating, even though he gets hives when the foods touch his skin. She says that it will help him eventually to become tolerant. She does not want to test him for anything except what makes him vomit and environmental allergies. Is this normal advice?

I was thinking about giving him more raw foods while avoiding Milk, Eggs, Nuts, Tree Nuts, and All Grains. He eats meats and fish. 

I have been researching the immune system, balancing the gut, chiropractic care, and other alternative therapies. I am curious to hear if anything besides prescription medication has helped you reverse or manage your child's allergies and asthma.

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Yes, removing all offending food from my baby's diet and my own diet while I was still breastfeeding reversed all his eczema and stopped the diarrhea. We have environmental allergy here as well and it was possible to improve this situation by making changes to our house and the way we clean it.

I think that was lousy advice, though pretty common advice. what most doctors fear is that the parents will restrict food without looking for alternatives, resulting in malnutrition.

But an allergist will not tell you to give food that can provoke a reaction simply through touching it. This is highly allergic, the child should not eat that food at all until the reactions start to come down as he gets older.

The desensitization programme is immunotherapy, and it is done in a very specific way. Reintroducing food at home depends on the degree of reaction, and allergists will only tell you to do it if the reaction is very mild. You will still have to observe if the item triggers a flareup or diarrhea. I just would NOT give my child any food that that is so highly provocative to the immune system, including in my breast milk. First hand experience that it does affect the child.

If you really really want to give some of the food to your child, please standby antihistamine, and make sure the doctor is available that day. But I will just change doctor. And I would test for fish.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 AM

Oh besides changing doctor, a good cookbook or a stack of safe recipes really help!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts. I feel like I should go with my gut here and go Dairy, Egg, Pea & Grain free, which I feel I can do without ill effect to his health. Luckily fish and shellfish were no reaction. I realize now that this doctor is just another medication dispenser and is not willing to get down to the root of the problem. Thanks deminc!

Momma to a weaning nursling DS1 (8/10) and expecting #2 pos.gif (EDD 9/12). DS1 currently Milk, Soy, Egg, Peas, Peanut, & Tree Nut Free (hives/vomiting).mdcblog5.gif lactivist.gif

Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Personal pet peeve: they did an allergy test on a child under 2yo which are NOTORIOUSLY UNRELIABLE because their immune system is not yet stable (it's a 2yo milestone--when maternal antibodies are completely cleared from their system).  banghead.gif

A great allergist would've told you that the best thing you could do is to remove the suspect and look for a reaction.

We did it.  The results were profound.  That being said, only soy produced a skin reaction when it would drop on his skin.  We didn't have hives/vomiting otherwise.  His reactions were profound developmental delays because of how the proteins sat on his nerve endings.  In our case, a lot of the problem was ultimately resolved by removing the allergens until the digestive tract healed and the reactions weren't nearly as debilitating.  That started at 5mo with dairy (and a suspicion of cerebral palsy) and he just turned 8yo (and presents like most neurotypical 8yo boys ;) ).

And although I would definitely change the doctor, it's fair to say that MOST doctors are just NOT fluent in this stuff.  :/

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List