Cat allergy--food too? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Our two year old son has recently been getting red blotchy hives the instant he puts his face on our cat...he has just begun to love the cat and wants to snuggle it...

So, I think the cat has to go but I am wondering if a cat allergy could mean he has food allergies too.  Also wondering if we could keep he cat but keep DS away from him.  We have had the cat for 18 years.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

It doesn't necessarily follow that a cat allergy means he has food allergies.  I mean, you could start paying attention for a bit and see if there is something subtle you are missing, but I would treat it just as simple observation just in case,  not intense sleuthing (my writing is a bit sluggish this morning and these were the words that came to mind.  I hope you understand what I mean.)  The fact is, you haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary up to this point, so the chances you will find something out of the ordinary are slim.

As for the cat, keep him out of the bedroom if you can, and try to teach your son not to bury his face in the cat.  "Hives the instant he puts his face on the cat" is pretty severe, but perhaps you can teach petting and then hand washing right after.  Keep his pajamas and lovies out of the reach of cat hair, too.  When my sister had a labrador, I had to wash all clothes and lovies and give dd2 a bath after our visit.  (BTW, that daughter has no food allergies, I've even tested because of tummy aches and a family history of allergies, and nothing.  Tummy aches went away, no problem, not allergy related.  Nothing new yet at 5yo.)

At 18, your cat won't be with you for much longer ;( and hopefully as long as you keep your son off the cat his symptoms will be mild.

This advice is a bit on the unalarmed side (again, sluggish writing!) and maybe someone will chime in with more urgent advice.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Are there any other symptoms you've noticed, besides hives when near the cat? When kids are very young, they typically develop food allergies before environmental allergies/intolerances, but the one I've learned from DS1 is nothings typical wink1.gif I have a severe cat allergy & was diagnosed with it at 2-ish, along with a dairy allergy. The cat allergy has gotten really bad over the years & if anything, the dairy allergy is an intolerance. Based on my own personal experience, I'd say get rid of the cat, simply because I don't think it's worth all the effort to try to have it around. When my son was 2-1/2, he was diagnosed with a dog allergy & the allergist told us all the ways to clean & keep the dogs, but we got rid of them, it was very hard but felt like it needed to be done for the sake of his health. The one thing I don't understand is if your diagnosed with a food allergy, you're given extensive info on cutting the food 100% from your diet, but if it's
a pet allergy, they tell you how to wash your pet weekly, vacuum, sweep, air purifiers, etc. Seems kind of contradictory, IMO...who knows wink1.gif

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin907 View Post

The one thing I don't understand is if your diagnosed with a food allergy, you're given extensive info on cutting the food 100% from your diet, but if it's
a pet allergy, they tell you how to wash your pet weekly, vacuum, sweep, air purifiers, etc. Seems kind of contradictory, IMO...who knows wink1.gif

I get it.  Because pets are part of the family, especially ones that have been around 17 or 18 years like my cat and the OP's.  I was still in my 20's when my cat was a kitten.  We've been through many adventures together and no way would I consider actually getting rid of him unless it was clearly the only option left.

Sometimes, if the allergy is not so severe the advice is "avoid it" and not "cut it out 100%".

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I get it.  Because pets are part of the family, especially ones that have been around 17 or 18 years like my cat and the OP's.  I was still in my 20's when my cat was a kitten.  We've been through many adventures together and no way would I consider actually getting rid of him unless it was clearly the only option left.

Sometimes, if the allergy is not so severe the advice is "avoid it" and not "cut it out 100%".

In our situation, the allergy was severe, but still it definitely wasn't an easy decision, the dogs were very much part of our family & my parent's got rid of theirs, too. But as hard as it was/is, his health was our priority. I think if it was a minor allergy, it would've been a different situation.  

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List