Best way to give 8 month old probiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd doesn't take a bottle, what is a good way to give her probiotics? I tried mixing some in a little carrot puree but it doesn't dissolve well and from her facial expression I could tell it was bitter. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#2 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 AM

A little messy but put some on you before you nurse
#3 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 PM

I'd suggest applesauce but if carrots weren't good, I'm not sure that'd work either. I used to pump a little milk & mix that with my sons probiotics, just a few sips worth, does she refuse the bottle or just doesn't regularly take one?

SAHM to two boys & a girl. DS1 has eczema, asthma & is allergic to: dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, seafood, sunflower, yeast & garlic. 

#4 of 7 Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

She doesn't regularly take a bottle, but she sometimes has cool water in one for her teething comfort. I'll try to mix some with pumped milk and see if she takes it.

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#5 of 7 Old 01-15-2012, 09:35 PM

im not sure where you live, but in canada we have these AMAZING probiotic drops made specially for children/babies  they are called biogaia probiotics and they are in a small glass bottle, kept refrigerated at the health food store pr natural pharmacy. i highly recomend them. you need like 3-5 drops and i would just drop it right into my babies mouth while i was playing with her or changing her. i use them on and off now, but when she was tiny she had serious projectile vomiting issues and they cleared up almost immediately with these. my midwife suggested them.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM

If probiotic powder mixed into food or on your nipple doesn't work, you could make a little paste and swab it on the inside of her cheek. That would reduce contact with some of the more taste-sensitive parts of her tongue.

Good luck! :-)

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 AM

My son sucks it right off of my finger.  Ours isn't bitter though, it's sweet, I've tasted it.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page