fish oil, vitamin e and soy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm suspecting a soy allergy or sensitivity with my LO who has really horribly eczema (i gave in and put the steroid cream after she rubbed her face raw and oozy the other day :( 

she's clear now and i want to keep it that way. i've eliminated dairy, gluten and I THOUGHT soy, but apparently my vitamin e, primrose oil and fish oil all contain soy in it!! maybe thats part of the reason why she never thoroughly cleared up?

are there any fish oils or vitamin e that are soy free?? would this affect her?

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 13 Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM

I have yet to find a vitamin E that is soy-free, and I have searched! As for fish oil, the same unless you are open to fermented cod liver oil (Green Pastures), which is not the same exactly. There is also krill oil, which is not exactly fish oil either but similar and there are some don't contain vitamin e/tocopherol (NOW brand, for example).

I think it is entirely possible to be sensitive to soy in vitamins, though most mainstream doctors would say otherwise. I definitely am and so is my DS. I had to cut out multivitamin/prenatals while nursing him but he has a host of other sensitivities, including corn which makes finding safe vitamins hard (glycerin and ascorbic acid are usually corn-derived).

Do you eat other foods with soy in it as well, or is it just the supplements?

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#3 of 13 Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM

I have been searching too!!

I am trying to avoid estrogens (so soy) - I have been told vitamin E is good for you - I was using vitamin E oil as my face moisturizer but I just found out it has soybean oil so the full bottle went right into the garbage.

I have been looking for soy free vitamin E oil but can't find any :(  I was reading that in case you buy synthetic vitamin E oil you will need much more to reach the same amount of nutrients as natural vitamin E but who wants synthetic, right? 

Well, for my skin I think it's fine but I was also looking for the supplements.

If you have any luck in finding one please let me know as well!

Thanks!

#4 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 AM

I've occasionally found soy-free E, it's usually synthetic. You have to check the carrier oil, but you can find it in sunflower or safflower from time to time.  I also have to avoid wheat germ oil, which is another common source for Vitamin E/tocopherols.  

As for fish oil, I don't think I've found one with soy-free E.

For cosmetic use, try CVS, believe it or not.  I've found synthetic E in non-soybean oils there from time to time (store brand, bottle), but it always needs a call to doublecheck.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#5 of 13 Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 AM

hi, isn't it crazy how everything these days has some sort of Soy (estrogen) in it? So sad.

I'll def. check the CVS brand, I love CVS. Hopefully I'll find some vitamin E without soy some day ...!

#6 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

well, here's what I've found:

http://www.acgrace.com/unique-e-vitamin-e/unique-e-mixed-tocopherols-concentrate-120-softgels/

I'm using it. Havent noticed anything yet, good or bad.  The fish oil I am using is from ProThera. I talked to the rep and she said that there is soy, but all the proteins have been removed.  Still not sure with that. I've been giving it directly to DD, but her flare ups seem so random that I just cant tell if its the fish oil or not. If anything, it seems like its been helping her, so I dont think her flare ups are due to the oil.  Hope this helps!

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#7 of 13 Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM

They claim that the proteins are removed, but there are those of us who do react to refined soybean oils.  There are dozens of allergenic proteins found in the soybean and not all survive the oil production process and those that do are not the most common culprits in allergic reactions.  For those of us who *do* react to those residual proteins, soy-derived and soybean-carried Vitamin E can still be a big problem.  Same deal with soy lecithin.

#8 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 09:50 PM

OmegeBrite Kidz formula found here: http://www.omegabrite.com/products/liquid.html

I called and they said they do not have any soy in that product. I am very sensitive to soy lecithin or soybean oil found in vitamin e which of course if found in the fish oil. I did buy the OmegaBrite Kidz formula a couple of times and found no problem whatsoever with it. Well there was one problem however and that was the price. I find it a bit expensive for fish oil. 

I've done much research on this and have been to many different stores and have called around to companies such as Nordic Naturals, Country Life, etc, and OmegaBrite was the only company that told me that they have no soy in their Kidz formula. They do however have soy in the pill form of their fish oil. Other than that someone on these forums had posted that Krill Oil from NOW vitamins does not have any soy either, so i may give that one a try as well. 

#9 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM

OmegeBrite Kidz formula found here: http://www.omegabrite.com/products/liquid.html

I called and they said they do not have any soy in that product. I am very sensitive to soy lecithin or soybean oil found in vitamin e which of course if found in the fish oil. I did buy the OmegaBrite Kidz formula a couple of times and found no problem whatsoever with it. Well there was one problem however and that was the price. I find it a bit expensive for fish oil. 

I've done much research on this and have been to many different stores and have called around to companies such as Nordic Naturals, Country Life, etc, and OmegaBrite was the only company that told me that they have no soy in their Kidz formula. They do however have soy in the pill form of their fish oil. Other than that someone on these forums had posted that Krill Oil from NOW vitamins does not have any soy either, so i may give that one a try as well. 

#10 of 13 Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Did OmegaBrite reveal the source of the natural tocopherols in their kidz formula?

#11 of 13 Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM

The lady I spoke with about 6 months ago told me that the liquid (Omega3 Kidz) did not have any soy in it, but that the Gel caps did. I then ordered 2 bottles and did NOT have an allergic reaction.

Yesterday I called again just to double check. I spoke with 2 different people and they told me to check out the FAQ on their website which states . . . 

"What is OmegaBrite source of vitamin E?

We obtain our mixed tocopherol and Vitamin E from natural sources. The main source of our Vitamin E is from soybean oil that is identity preserved and non-GMO. The purification process removes triglycerides and proteins."

#12 of 13 Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Carlson Lab has one soy-free Vitamin E which comes from palm oil:

Tocotrienols

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/p-8-tocotrienols.aspx

#13 of 13 Old 12-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Jocelyndale's on the right track, Webeducation: the Omegabrite Omega3 Kidz liquid has "natural tocopherols" which means it’s from soy.

If a label says “vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol)” or “tocopherols” or “natural tocopherols” 99.9% chance that’s derived from soy!

Therefore: Of all of the fish oils recommended so far on this forum the only ones that don’t contain soy are the NOW Krill oil (btw, I’ve found there are numerous Krill oils that don’t contain soy! NOW is only one of many) and Green Pastures’ Fermented Cod Liver Oil (both recommended in Momo123’s post-- you go, Momo!).

I’m embarking on eliminating my sensitivities by rehabilitating my gut with the GAPS diet so for that I’ll be taking that Green Pasture’s Fermented Cod Liver Oil but I additionally need a fish oil with more EPA than DHA of a high concentration (like in the ballpark of 700 mg EFA and 500 mg DHA per serving based on the soy-containing, Nordic Naturals fish oil that Dr. Campbell-McBride recommends). All of the many Krill oils I’ve looked at don’t come anywhere close (they are around 100 mg EPA and 5o mg of DHA per serving).

The good news is I believe I found a fish oil that fits the bill!

Stronger Faster Healthier’s SO3 Omega-3 fish oil:

http://www.sfh.com/products/omega_3-oil/6oz_so3_omega-3_oil

At 2, 204mg EPA and 990 mg of DHA per serving—SFH’s oil blows Nordic Naturals’ oil out of the water! –and it doesn't contain soy in any form!

If I’m wrong please, someone, tell me but I think we’ve made a major discovery here, folks! I haven't called them yet to grill them but with no E in it, I'm very optimistic.

Because there were so many postings in this thread where people recommended fish oils that contained soy with the intention of recommending a fish oil that does not contain soy I will explain this matter in depth:

Most folks made this mistake simply because they didn’t know the bit about vit-E/tocopherols. I’m guessing the reason the knowledgable Webeducation was mislead by the Omegabrite operator is because s/he phrased the question inadequately. One can ask a company the seemingly direct questions: “Is your product soy-free? “ and “Does your product contain soy?” and they could say “No.”-to you even if that product has ingredients derived from soy.

I’m assuming companies can say something with ingredients derived from soy is “soy free” or “does not contain soy” for the same reason a company with product containing wheat gluten could say it’s “gluten free”—because labels like that are legal terms with strict definitions. In order to be “gluten free”, for example, you need to have fewer parts per million of gluten than a legal limit even though the parts per million adequate for a sensitive human body (eg. a person with celiac’s) to detect is more sensitive than the legal limit. It must be some similar legal loophole with the soy free label cause many of us can plainly see many fish oils on the market state they’re “soy free” while listing “vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol)” or “tocopherols” or “natural tocopherols” on their nutritional info or ingredients list. Based on my experience I’ve deduced that legally, “soy” must mean “soy proteins” and so a soy oil free of soy proteins isn’t legally “soy”.

I once reacted to one such oil (I believe it was Carlson’s liquid) and I called them and asked them what was up with their “soy free” labeling. They told me that because the vitamin E which was derived from soy did not have any soy proteins it is considered to be free of the allergenic component of soy. Considering that allergy is an entirely different physiological problem than a sensitivity for those of us with soy sensitivity this legal distinction doesn’t help us at all and it puts us at risk. Contrary to popular belief sensitivities aren’t less serious than allergies. Many sensitivities are worse than many allergies. There is much less known about sensitivities, however. So the law doesn’t account for sensitivities as far as I’ve seen.

The way to ask to get around these legal loopholes is to ask if the product “contains any ingredients derived from soy” and if the product “is processed in the same facility as” soy (if they say “yes” to the latter question but you really don’t want to disqualify the product try asking if the product “is processed using the same equipment as” soy-- though, of course, even if not there may still be risk of cross-contamination if it's processed in the same facility). Since the phone operators are only human, it’s important to grill them awhile to make sure they’re not making a human error as they answer your question. For ex. I’ll ask them generally and then I’ll go on to ask that question about all specific ingredients in question. Sometimes companies will not know what the source of the ingredient in question. Only thorough questioning can ensure you’re not gonna fall through any cracks.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page