Allergies caused by a leaky gut?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD has several food allergies.  Are food allergies caused by having a leaky gut?

#2 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It's part of the equation.  If the gut isn't permeable, the proteins can't get through.  Dr. Fasano has done a lot of research on Celiac disease and while I know the two are different, the mechanism of the proteins getting through into the blood. That said, there are genetic and autoimmune issues at work as well.

#3 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I'm trying to understand it all. So if her gut is permeable then that means she could be more susceptible to toxins? I'm wondering if I should hold off on getting her vaccines...

#4 of 15 Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM

I can not answer this with any authority but I don't think it really matters for vaxing.

My thinking  is that vaxs are given into the muscle tissue.  That would bypass the stomach completely so while a leaky gut may lessen overall health and the child may be more "permeable" to injury because of it, the actual vaccine won't go into the stomach at all.

#5 of 15 Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

I can not answer this with any authority but I don't think it really matters for vaxing.

My thinking  is that vaxs are given into the muscle tissue.  That would bypass the stomach completely so while a leaky gut may lessen overall health and the child may be more "permeable" to injury because of it, the actual vaccine won't go into the stomach at all.

I would agree with this.  Even if the allergies are not caused by hyper-permeability of the intestine, the fact that her immune system is already overstimulated would make her compromised for fighting off the vaccine like she should and could put her system in a state of such overstimulation that other conditions can arise.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#6 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Right so if I'm reading the research correctly, it seems evidence shows that toxins within the vaccines injected into the bloodstream will eventually find themselves in the organs inside the body, one being the gut since the gut is 80% of the immune system this would make sense.  So if the toxins can eventually lead to the gut and if having allergies means she has a gut thats leaky cant these toxins be released back into her system...?  And if her liver can not regulate these toxins as it seems its not doing since she cant tolerate certain foods then isnt she even more susceptible to toxin exposure? I'm trying to make sense of it all.

#7 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM

If you read the pamphlets for some of the vaccines it actually says one of the side affects can be gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach and small intestine). Here's the one I was reading http://www.prevnar.com/

If someone already has a compromised gut I would not think taking a vaccine that causes inflammation would be good. This is just my opinion.

#8 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

That is very interesting, she got the prevnar shot at 3 months old and it was 2 days after that that I took her to her ped to get Zantac cuz she started having reflux then after that is when I noticed her allergic reactions and had to put her on formula. I wonder if that shot had something to do with it... I do think however that she had a gut problem before that because she and I had a bout of thrush when she was an infant. 

#9 of 15 Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph9000 View Post

Right so if I'm reading the research correctly, it seems evidence shows that toxins within the vaccines injected into the bloodstream will eventually find themselves in the organs inside the body, one being the gut since the gut is 80% of the immune system this would make sense.  So if the toxins can eventually lead to the gut and if having allergies means she has a gut thats leaky cant these toxins be released back into her system...?  And if her liver can not regulate these toxins as it seems its not doing since she cant tolerate certain foods then isnt she even more susceptible to toxin exposure? I'm trying to make sense of it all.

You have it somewhat right.  The stress on the body alone can cause hyperpermeability of the gut.  The toxins in the vaccine could land in ANY organ, but yes, also the gut.  Whether those toxins will land in the gut and then cause hyperpermeability is another story.  If partially digested proteins slip through a compromised gut wall, they float around the body and are unrecognizable to the body--which launches an immune response; but that can happen even in unvaccinated children because the gut wall can be compromised by any number of factors.

Since the toxins are injected directly into the bloodstream, I'm not sure that the state of her gut will affect the level of toxicity she feels from the shots; but perhaps someone else knows more certainly about this.  I'm just following logic--not research.

And the vaccination will stimulate her immune system.  Allergies are also a reaction of the immune system.  If you have a kid battling unresolved allergies (or battling unrecognizable, partially digested foods that have slipped through a leaky gut into the blood stream), then their immune system is already working overtime (or rather, harder than just being "at rest").  It's not exactly the kind of environment you want to further burden with a vax.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#10 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me out :) I will not be giving her any vaccines until her allergies are cured.

#11 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me out :) I will not be giving her any vaccines until her allergies are cured.

You can't cure an allergy.  Avoidance is all you can do for most allergens.  There is some research going on now with oral immunotherapy but it isn't being done in many places and I would assume your child is much to young anyway.

#12 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I guess what I meant to say if/when she grows out of her allergies.

#13 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I guess what I meant to say if/when she grows out of her allergies.

thumb.gif Just being cautious :)

#14 of 15 Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not all allergies are caused by leaky gut. Our DD has multiple ones but they change because she has leaky gut. We are now trying to heal it. But she had no reactions on her IGE test, meaning no permanent allergies yet. Frankly, the whole thing is confusing. We did do some vaccines, but very slowly and only started later. Beware of DTaP. We did one dose of that and she had a bad reaction. No permanent damage, but we stopped after that. We will begin again soon with just the Tetnus and eventually Diptheria, but that's because we travel to places where it is an issue.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#15 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Is that because it has casein in it!

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page