Eczema relief suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My seven month old son was recently diagnosed with eczema by our Ped. She gave me Dermasmoothe for it. After reading the ingredients I decided that there was no way I was going to put that on his delicate baby skin! 

He is fully breastfed and he didn't eat many solids before, but now I have not given him anything for about two weeks for fear of an allergy.

I'm wondering if something I am eating could be a problem for him. 

Also, I have been giving him baths with the Aveeno Baby eczema oatmeal bath and stopped using soap on him. I have been slathering organic unrefined coconut oil on him 2-3 times daily and after baths. With our drier weather it just seems to be getting worse!

I feel so bad for him, he is so fussy and claws at himself whenever I undress him. I'm even considering putting that chemical nastiness from our Ped just to try to give him relief. Is this normal for eczema? Does it go away on it's own? What have you used for itch relief?

(I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but I didn't see anywhere better.)

Thank you for your help!

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.giftreehugger.gifribbonpink.gifgoorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Most eczema isn't food related.  Something like 80%.  You could try to eliminate things and see if it helps but it very well may not.

We have been dealing with eczema for over a year now.  We even went to a ped. derm with nothing helping.  We tried everything "natural" with nothing helping.  We tried daily allergy meds.That didn't work either.  What is finally seeming to help is keeping DD's finger nails cut at all times, bleach baths and Vanicream.  Not "natural" but I also don't have a scratching herself till she bleeds kid any more.

I love all natural.  I love healthy more.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also do coconut oil, Vanicream (Aveeno had oats, which was a no-no for us). Also, we do weekly Vaseline baths (or you can buy Un-petroleum jelly). Slather on the Vaseline, and let baby soak in the tub for 5 minutes in warm water. This helped a lot with the eczema

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List