Celiac baby with loads other food sensitivities - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My wonderful DS weighed 8lb 10oz (75th percentile)after his wonderful home water birth but now he is 17 months weighs 19lb 5oz and is in the 1st percentile that is only 1 % babies lighter than him here in Ireland. He was a very colicky baby but around 4 months I discovered that if I didn't eat gluten he was much better so since then I have been mostly gluten free though he seemed to be ok if I had something with gluten once a week or so. My doc tested him for celiac (only because she wanted me to give him gluten foods to put on weight as she didnt belive me that he reacted to it from bm)couple weeks ago and even tho he himself has never eaten gluten the test came back as a positive 7. Doc said that adult would need to be 20 to be classed celiac but as he never ate gluten and only got antibodies through BM that a 7 is very significant and so he is celiac. (i really expected a neg test result as usually people have to eat gluten every day for 6 weeks before test and as i say i had max once a week, does anyone know if this could mean that he has a severe form of celiac. I have a cousin that would be in bits after eating even a crumb of bread whereas my dad also celiac can handle eating the odd cake or guinness:) . of course now I am totally off gluten but reading now that a lot celiac babies also can't tolerate dairy or soy and we are all vegetarian and he gets cramps and wind from potatoes beans garlic and egg white and lots other things which I can't pin down.Also he gets patches of excema on his face but haven't pinned down this either tho possibly the garlic. Tried writing down foods he ate over a week but didnt help much but maybe I should do for longer. He is still very cranky alot of the time. He is also very fussy with what he will eat. I really feel like going crazy with trying to get calories in to him especially as he's been sick a lot this month and pretty much refuses everything but BM when ill. We eat at least 50% organic food and cook nearly all our meals from scratch Please some suggestions for some high calorie gf df sf veg recipes. Also I'm thinking to wean him off BM as soon as winter is over( I fed dd till 24 months) as finding gf diet hard enough and since I can't pin down other foods that he's not tolerating think he may be better off drinking goats milk formula where at least I know exactly what he's getting. I've always been strong believer in the wonders of BM but really doubting now and feeling very guilty for all the gluten I did eat before test and guilty that I won't cut out dairy garlic beans etc now and guilty that dd doesn't get half enough attention  cos so focused on her brother and it's just been a really hard day and sorry for all the ranting my head is spinning I just want DS to put on some weight and stop getting cramps and being cranky. Any suggestions very welcome.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What kind of Dr. did you see?  

Was it your ped?  A GI Dr.?  

What kind of test?

I really question the Dr's if it wasn't a pediatric GI Dr.  I would also question the test results.  As far as I know,a tTG under 20 (again depending on the test) is a negative.  Now that isn't saying your baby doesn't have it but without having a true + on the blood test it's something I would always wonder about.  Your Dad having Celiac does increase DS's chances as there is a huge genetic link but again, without + blood work I would wonder.

Also, if your child is sensitive to cow dairy, there is a 90+% chance he won't be able to tolerate goats milk.  If your son does have issues with gluten, dairy and egg, you are going to have to learn how to cook that way anyway for him.  This'll give you a head start on learning while still getting him BM.  I (personally) would not wean a kid with all those allergies. They NEED the gut help BM gives them.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Boy did I rant the other night but had been a very difficult day:) sorry My gp did test which would be normal here as we would only visit a pediatriton when referred from gp if there was something wrong and there is a long waiting list as there are very few of them and after gp does bloods etc. In any case with his history and this result it seems wise to keep him off gluten. I do need to get his weight up tho and good news is he seems to be back eating today and cold seems nearly gone which I'm delighted about but  it's hard get enough calories in to him as nearly every spoon needs high level of distraction

High calorie food he will eat include avocado, coconut, pine nuts, little almond butter, 

He likes all sorts beans and hummus and potatoes but they all give him very bad wind n he,ll be up half night

He'll eat a little millet porridge or quinoa or rice or egg yolk with a lot encouragement.

He loves apples and bananas

He won't eat sweet pot or any veg really.

He loves strong flavours like olives pesto etc but taking all these out to try clear up excema 

Any other suggestions welcome 

thanks so much

m

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Boy did I rant the other night but had been a very difficult day:) sorry My gp did test which would be normal here as we would only visit a pediatriton when referred from gp if there was something wrong and there is a long waiting list as there are very few of them and after gp does bloods etc. In any case with his history and this result it seems wise to keep him off gluten. I do need to get his weight up tho and good news is he seems to be back eating today and cold seems nearly gone which I'm delighted about but  it's hard get enough calories in to him as nearly every spoon needs high level of distraction

High calorie food he will eat include avocado, coconut, pine nuts, little almond butter, 

He likes all sorts beans and hummus and potatoes but they all give him very bad wind n he,ll be up half night

He'll eat a little millet porridge or quinoa or rice or egg yolk with a lot encouragement.

He loves strong flavours like olives pesto etc but taking all these out to try clear up excema 

thanks so much

m

Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much

m

Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much

m

Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much

m

Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much

m

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Doh! Really sorry kept coming up that it could't post reply and then seemed to send them all

opps sorry

Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What is common there for the diagnosis?  Here the "gold standard" is an endoscopy and for that, you MUST be on gluten.  Again, I am unsure of the procedure in Ireland (from your name, that's an assumption on my part ;) )

Also, if it is Celiac, after some time to rest the gut, many people can again tolerate dairy!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Considering how common celiac is in Ireland, it seems like the doctor ought to know what she/he is talking about. It takes a few days for foods to get out of your milk, so when you keep a food journal, you need to look for trends. For instance when I breastfed my son, it took him 24 hours after I ingested milk before he started vomiting, and then he would vomit for another 72 hours after that. But I know other mothers where the child reacts at the very next feeding. So you need to look for trends to figure out what his pattern is. Have you been tested for celiac?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Blood test would be normal to diagnose and adults would get endoscopy but don't think they would do this on 17 month old unless  absolutely necessary I certainly wouldnt ant them to do it on him. Doc did say that she would Usually only diagnose celiac with a 20 but in this case as he has only ever had small amounts thro breastmilk that she thought it wise to diagnose a7 as a positive. I tested a negative 3 but as I was 99% gluten free when tested ill have get tested again whenever I stop breastfeeding and am back eating gluten for at least6 weeks.DH gonna get tested this week. Would be very ironic if we tested posItive as our neighbours here in Eco village have just finished building wood fired bakery and he is probably the best baker  in the Ireland has one loads awards etc. hmm hope not as so looking fward to joining his bread club when finished bf:)

anyway feeling a lot more positive now he's back eating a bit but would still love more ideas on calorie rich gf df veg foods

cheers

m

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List