Which tests? - Mothering Forums
Allergies > Which tests?
Kimmiepie's Avatar Kimmiepie 10:49 PM 01-29-2012

Hi!

I'm certain I have some food intolerances but I have NO idea where to start. There are so many different tests out there, and I'm thoroughly confused. I don't have any health insurance so I can't just run to a dr. and try different things. I need to try and figure out that best test to get and go with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

scsigrl's Avatar scsigrl 06:23 AM 01-30-2012

For intolerances, the best place to start would be a very detailed food/symptom log.  I am wondering if it's something you really want to start while pregnant though.  Unless you are really miserable.

Kimmiepie's Avatar Kimmiepie 09:45 AM 01-30-2012

Thanks. I actually have been keeping a very detailed log for almost 2 months. I haven't been able to figure it out though, which is why I want to go in for help. I could do an elimination diet, but with 5 kiddos to feed, and very limited funds it would be hard to do. Especially right now since I'm so overwhelmed with the baby etc.

I'm not pregnant anymore, I just haven't updated my siggy. ;-)

scsigrl's Avatar scsigrl 10:24 AM 01-30-2012

Duh, if I didn't stop reading when I saw the icon ;)  I have an Oct. baby here too :) 

So nothing is standing out at all?  If it's nothing obvious I would think an ED would be the next step.  I think the testing for intolerances runs from $200-500 in my reading so I guess it's deciding a) how much you believe in the "alternative" teasing and b) is it cheaper than an ED.

Maybe someone else will have better ideas for you.  Sorry.

heatherdeg's Avatar heatherdeg 10:52 PM 01-30-2012

You could pay a health coach for a one-time consult and it would be cheaper than testing or ED, but may not guarantee you that they'll be able to take your health history and connect that to an issue with something you're eating.  And then you might wind up shelling out for the testing and/or ED anyway.  But that would be my thought.  Biased, of course, because I'm a health coach that works with allergies; but I would put any other idea out here if I actually had one.  Truly, I would.

What exactly is it that makes you certain it's food-related?

Kimmiepie's Avatar Kimmiepie 12:45 PM 02-01-2012

Thank you everyone. I was able to find someone localish that would be able to support me in my journey at a discounted price. She seems perfect actually! She's an herbalist/nutritionist that specializes in food allergies/intolerances and helping the person heal.

So now all that's left is the testing. I am leaning toward an ED, or perhaps biofeedback. It sounds really kooky to me, but my friend has used it with great results and has a friend that will do it for a discounted price, and even travel here to me to do it! So it's worth a try I suppose! If I'm not satisfied with it I can always look at the testing route again since I'm not spending near as much. I can also try an ED. I'm nursing so I really wanted to avoid that if possible, but I'm sure it can be done while nursing especially if I am under the care of someone who can guide me through.

Tags: Allergies
Up