URGH!!! I'm about to give up on ED! Should I really stick with it still? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 4 m/o with moderate eczema. Some nights she is up every hour and a half for over an hour unable to be consoled because she itches until she bleeds or oozes. Last night was one of them and I. AM. EXHAUSTED. Its been going on for months!

I have eliminated dairy, eggs soy and gluten since thanksgiving (very carefully reading lables) and recently (the past month) I have eliminated peanuts, shellfish, corn, eggplants and avacados (DH is allergic to the latter 2). The past couple weeks I took out coconut everything and rice. 

I am eating veggies, and fruits, flax seed oil, EVOO, hemp protein, salmon, sprouts, balsamic vinegar and ACV.

I dont know how much more I can get rid of. In fact, if i get rid of something else i'd like to re-introduce something else, but what? Part of me just wants to say "to hell" with the whole thing because as she is a teeny tiny bit better, she is still flaring up and I am still using hydrocortisone on her much more than i'd like (seems like I'm doing a weekly round since thats how often she has a really bad (angry, red, raised, itchy, oozy) flare up.

We use free n clear all, double rinse with vinegar in the load.

seriously... I'm so done with eczema. I cried about 5 times in the middle of the night last night with her because thats how much she woke up.  I know I've written several posts on this but I am so lost and out of ideas. :(

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A LOT of eczema is NOT food related.  Often not even allergy related.  

Can you think of any environmental triggers that may be at work?

Have you tried Dr. Sears TED?  Maybe that will give you a pace to start as far as narrowing things down while keeping you fed.  Of that list, I would pull salmon before anything else.

It's so tough.  I know :(  My "baby"(she's 3) has scratched herself bloody several times and it just breaks my heart.

Hang in there!

#3 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

A LOT of eczema is NOT food related.  Often not even allergy related.  

I, personally, don't believe that for a second.

I would probably take out the most allergenic foods- like fish and seeds (flax). Are you keeping a detailed food journal? You might also consider doing a rotation diet for a while- sometimes it helps to spot patterns if you're not eating the same foods every day.
ASusan likes this.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Are you keeping a detailed food journal? You might also consider doing a rotation diet for a while- sometimes it helps to spot patterns if you're not eating the same foods every day.

yes, i keep a food journal. How detailed are we talking here? i write down what i eat on one side the other side describes what her face looks like throughout the day. I feel like its all so random!  How does one do a rotation?

I was eating salmon because I've been giving DD fish oil, which seemed to help for a while but now not so much (coincidence??) and just read a bunch of stuff about the benefits of FSO, plus I wanted another fat since I took out coconut oil (b/c she seemed to be doing better after I took it out, but still not certain)  and also thought it seemed to be helping (but maybe coincidence also??) URGH!  Its all so VAGUE!

So, how do I do a rotation again? I so want to incorporate more foods! Since DH gets an itchy throat and feels like he has to puke when he eats things like cherries, avacados and eggplants, should I consider these foods off the list?

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#5 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Can you think of any environmental triggers that may be at work?

Have you tried Dr. Sears TED?  Maybe that will give you a pace to start as far as narrowing things down while keeping you fed.  Of that list, I would pull salmon before anything else.

"...Older babies are often less sensitive to fruits and vegetables in mom's diet (and their own), so at this stage we recommend mainly protein elimination, namely dairy, beef, eggs, chicken, shellfish, soy, corn, wheat, and peanuts (plus any other foods you have learned bother baby). Research has shown that some foreign proteins get into some mothers' milk more than others', and of course some babies are more sensitive to these proteins than other babies."

Could hemp protein be problematic?

I dont know if its our detergent, but I read an entire website on how babies can be very sensitive to detergents (as opposed to soaps), so   

we are considering eliminating all detergents, but I'd like to know for sure, first that this is the case since eliminating detergents is really kind of a HUGE deal!

here is the website:

http://solveeczema.org/thesolution.html

#6 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM

For my husband and baby, it's definitely an external environment thing, including fragrances and weather.  I haven't read your other threads so I don't know what you've tried, I'll just tell what works for us and you can look for ideas.

We eliminated all fragrance from our household soaps/ detergents/ cleaners. I started less detergent and sometimes putting it through an extra rinse. I also make sure NEW clothes are washed well in HOT water several times to get the formaldehyde and bromide out which can be pretty irritating. With my baby, I find the new clothes thing a big problem because he grows so fast and family is always trying to help by buying sending new clothes, that I end up having to wash at least twice. I try to only buy used and our family is starting to get it now too.

I wash the towels and bedding more frequently than I used to and in hot water and add tea tree oil to the wash. I heard that people with eczema and acne (that's me) were more likely to have high counts of bacteria in their linens, so I started this and it really seem to help.

When he gets really flaky, I exfoliate with a dry cloth before his bath. I rarely wash my baby with soap, instead he bathes with about 5 drops of essential oils of lavender and/or chamomile and/ or tea tree, and I just wash him with a cloth and water. I only use soap occasionally on his bum, or if he's eaten something greasy. For his hair, I use a high quality fragrance, paraben, and pthalate free tea tree shampoo AND conditioner (this also keeps the cradle cap at bay). And when his skin gets bad I will use the conditioner all over and let it soak for a bit before rinsing well and/ or make up a batch of honey and oatmeal scrub and/ or add a bit of baking soda to his bath.

To treat, I use this on his bum and the flakiest spots, and for the rest, I added 10 drops of lavender essential oil to 1/2 cup of water in a spray bottle.  

I haven't tried homeopathic remedies, because what we've been doing is working, but other have told me that Rhus Tox works well, and I'm sure there are others.

The only internal connection I've noticed is that if he eats a lot of tomato sauce or citrus it seems to aggravate his skin starting a few hrs after and sometimes into the next day. But if he eats a little here and there and not on an empty stomach he seems alright.

#7 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM

My daughter has this same problem. We've taken her to all sorts of doctors and just discovered that she's allergic to dust mites. You could try getting covers for her crib mattress. Also I don't know what your climate is like but during the summers having the air conditioner on/keeping her cooler helps to keep the itching down to a minimum. It seems like every time she get's too hot or sweaty it causes her to itch. And putting long pants/long sleeved pajamas so that she couldn't get at herself directly helped to protect her skin. I am concerned because you mentioned oozing. Just be aware about minor infections that can be caused by reopening woulds from itching. My little one scratched at her knees badly on and off for a few months and despite our efforts to combat her the scratches never seemed to heal and she was dx with a minor infection that was easily treatable. But it's something we are on high alert for and don't want to happen again. Has she had any blood tests taken to check for what she is exactly allergic to?

#8 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmis View Post

So, how do I do a rotation again? I so want to incorporate more foods! Since DH gets an itchy throat and feels like he has to puke when he eats things like cherries, avacados and eggplants, should I consider these foods off the list?

Specific allergies, apart from Celiac, are not inherited, merely the tendency to acquire them.  That doesn't mean that fruits and vegetables aren't the problem, but I would explore the proteins first.  But....... like I said, green pepper flushes my cheeks..... sometimes.  If it really is that random, then fruits and vegetables might be the culprit instead.  I personally find that these are fickle with their reactions.  Sometimes strawberries cause me no trouble whatsoever, then I get one single one that burns my throat and tongue.  Same with pears, grapes, and mushrooms.  Mushrooms can also flush my cheeks.  Sometimes.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#9 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:

yes, i keep a food journal. How detailed are we talking here? i write down what i eat on one side the other side describes what her face looks like throughout the day. I feel like its all so random!  How does one do a rotation?

I was eating salmon because I've been giving DD fish oil, which seemed to help for a while but now not so much (coincidence??) and just read a bunch of stuff about the benefits of FSO, plus I wanted another fat since I took out coconut oil (b/c she seemed to be doing better after I took it out, but still not certain)  and also thought it seemed to be helping (but maybe coincidence also??) URGH!  Its all so VAGUE!

Just be sure to document all potential symptoms- digestive (poo/gas), sleep changes, mood changes, extra ear wax, dark circles under eyes, etc.

A rotation diet just means that you're rotating what you're eating. Like a 4-day rotation diet might have turkey on day 1, chicken on day 2, lamb on day 3, salmon on day 4 (and do the same with your other food groups.) That just helps you spot patterns easier than if you're eating the exact same foods every day. Because everyone has a different reaction timeline, if you're eating the same things every day it's hard to tell which food caused which symptom (digestive issues might be 6 hours delayed, but eczema is 24 hours delayed, etc.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#10 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerm0m2008 View Post

My daughter has this same problem. We've taken her to all sorts of doctors and just discovered that she's allergic to dust mites. You could try getting covers for her crib mattress. Also I don't know what your climate is like but during the summers having the air conditioner on/keeping her cooler helps to keep the itching down to a minimum. It seems like every time she get's too hot or sweaty it causes her to itch. And putting long pants/long sleeved pajamas so that she couldn't get at herself directly helped to protect her skin. I am concerned because you mentioned oozing. Just be aware about minor infections that can be caused by reopening woulds from itching. My little one scratched at her knees badly on and off for a few months and despite our efforts to combat her the scratches never seemed to heal and she was dx with a minor infection that was easily treatable. But it's something we are on high alert for and don't want to happen again. Has she had any blood tests taken to check for what she is exactly allergic to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Specific allergies, apart from Celiac, are not inherited, merely the tendency to acquire them.  That doesn't mean that fruits and vegetables aren't the problem, but I would explore the proteins first.  But....... like I said, green pepper flushes my cheeks..... sometimes.  If it really is that random, then fruits and vegetables might be the culprit instead.  I personally find that these are fickle with their reactions.  Sometimes strawberries cause me no trouble whatsoever, then I get one single one that burns my throat and tongue.  Same with pears, grapes, and mushrooms.  Mushrooms can also flush my cheeks.  Sometimes.

yes, this is getting really complicated! ive been off soy, dairy and gluten for months. if these were part of the equation, wouldnt i see any significant changes? maybe i should just put them back in and take out other proteins.

#11 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

yes, this is getting really complicated! ive been off soy, dairy and gluten for months. if these were part of the equation, wouldnt i see any significant changes? maybe i should just put them back in and take out other proteins.

If you haven't noticed anything, I would put them back in, but before you just throw it all back in willy nilly start with one food at a time and take good notes.  The challenge is just as important as the elimination.

#12 of 27 Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

Hi - sorry I haven't read all replies but thought I'd share my experience.

My baby is 4 months old and had a bad eczema rash at starting at 6 weeks-2.5 months.  At first I eliminated dairy - cleared up, with the exception of around her ears and sides of cheeks.  I also was using a humidifier at night (on high - it actually made windows condense) and 3-4 times/day wiping with washcloth (water only) followed by a thick application of an all natural emollient lotion (Keys "Tortuga", but I'm guessing there's other all natural thick emollient products out there too).

The ear rash persisted until it dawned on me that maybe it's something her ears rub on.  I made sure my bedding was washed in an all natural, unscented detergent (e.g. 7th generation or similar).  It still lasted.  Then I realized that the car seat cozy I was given had a scent to it so I ran it through a hot water wash only a couple times to remove the scent.  The ears gradually started to clear up.

When I reintroduced dairy, it didn't make one lick of difference to her skin - which makes me think it was an irritation (contact dermatitis) made worse by dryness.  Moisturizing was our key).

Her skin is great now...but we're still dealing with other allergic symptoms (mucous and a bit of blood in stool, reflux).

Is eczema the only allergic symptom?  

Are you moisturizing religiously (so much that she feels greasy all the time?)??  The moisturizer should go on immediately after washing (no soap) so the moisture is sealed in.  Using a humidifier?

#13 of 27 Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

Hi - sorry I haven't read all replies but thought I'd share my experience.

My baby is 4 months old and had a bad eczema rash at starting at 6 weeks-2.5 months.  At first I eliminated dairy - cleared up, with the exception of around her ears and sides of cheeks.  I also was using a humidifier at night (on high - it actually made windows condense) and 3-4 times/day wiping with washcloth (water only) followed by a thick application of an all natural emollient lotion (Keys "Tortuga", but I'm guessing there's other all natural thick emollient products out there too).

The ear rash persisted until it dawned on me that maybe it's something her ears rub on.  I made sure my bedding was washed in an all natural, unscented detergent (e.g. 7th generation or similar).  It still lasted.  Then I realized that the car seat cozy I was given had a scent to it so I ran it through a hot water wash only a couple times to remove the scent.  The ears gradually started to clear up.

When I reintroduced dairy, it didn't make one lick of difference to her skin - which makes me think it was an irritation (contact dermatitis) made worse by dryness.  Moisturizing was our key).

Her skin is great now...but we're still dealing with other allergic symptoms (mucous and a bit of blood in stool, reflux).

Is eczema the only allergic symptom?  

Are you moisturizing religiously (so much that she feels greasy all the time?)??  The moisturizer should go on immediately after washing (no soap) so the moisture is sealed in.  Using a humidifier?

Perhaps its environmental.  we use all free n clear and rinse w vinegar. You think that the free n clear is not allergy sensitive enough? How long would it take to wash out all old detergent residue (more than one wash)??

We tried the humidifier but everytime we used it the yeast in her neck got bad.

OH... she also has cradle cap. dont know if that would differentiate between internal vs external triggers.

#14 of 27 Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM

When I was researching how to get rid of smell in cloth diapers (due to detergent residue), I read to wash it in hot water only until there were no longer bubbles appearing in the water - it took several washes.  I wonder if the vinegar rinse is an irritant? I start to sneeze when I smell vinegar.

I think the key for us was the regular face washing with just water/washcloth (3-4x/day) followed by the lotion before her skin dried (to seal in moisture).  Getting a good solid barrier/seal on the skin is important to protect the skin from irritants.  As long as I keep on top of the moisturizing, her skin is great.  She was itchy, etc., always rubbing her face on stuff....and now that her face is clear, she has finally let go of this habit.

What a frustrating journey for you!

#15 of 27 Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

When I was researching how to get rid of smell in cloth diapers (due to detergent residue), I read to wash it in hot water only until there were no longer bubbles appearing in the water - it took several washes.  I wonder if the vinegar rinse is an irritant? I start to sneeze when I smell vinegar.

I think the key for us was the regular face washing with just water/washcloth (3-4x/day) followed by the lotion before her skin dried (to seal in moisture).  Getting a good solid barrier/seal on the skin is important to protect the skin from irritants.  As long as I keep on top of the moisturizing, her skin is great.  She was itchy, etc., always rubbing her face on stuff....and now that her face is clear, she has finally let go of this habit.

What a frustrating journey for you!

Hmmm... Never thought of vinegar as an irritant.  She had the eczema before we started it in the wash, but whats the harm of taking it out.  Might as well give it a whirl!

So, are you suggesting just wash our clothes in hot water only? Will that "clean" them (all the funk from the day and things like deodorant, make up, lotions, hair products.. etc? We wash all the clothes the same, so that means everyones stuff will be in hot water only?

#16 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM

No, first I would wash her clothes separately.  Do you use a lot of lotions, or someone in your family?  Is your washer top-loading?  These might not rinse evereything.  Wash them separately in warm water only.  Just to see.  Honestly, if this turned out to be something I would wash separately before giving up our soap.

#17 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, first I would wash her clothes separately.  Do you use a lot of lotions, or someone in your family?  Is your washer top-loading?  These might not rinse evereything.  Wash them separately in warm water only.  Just to see.  Honestly, if this turned out to be something I would wash separately before giving up our soap.

I have a front loading washer. Ok, so let me clarify you suggestions before I go and start (I have been having nothing but brain fart moments... SO STRESSED!!)

Simply wash all the baby's stuff in hot water, no anything else with it, until the water is clear (perhaps 2-3 times). Can I just throw it in the wash once and put it for pre-rinse and extra rinse a couple times and that would be considered "4 washes"? (KWIM?)

After running through the cycle of all this, is it ok to throw them in the dryer? We dont use any softeners so I imagine at the end of all the washings this would be ok but still wanted to seek advice.

Thanks so much sweetsilver and dot1

#18 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Simply wash all the baby's stuff in hot water, no anything else with it, until the water is clear (perhaps 2-3 times). Can I just throw it in the wash once and put it for pre-rinse and extra rinse a couple times and that would be considered "4 washes"? (KWIM?)
After running through the cycle of all this, is it ok to throw them in the dryer? We dont use any softeners so I imagine at the end of all the washings this would be ok but still wanted to seek advice.
Thanks so much sweetsilver and dot1

Let's see, I would probably either put it in for a "normal" wash, just with no soap (ours is about 4-5 changes of water), or a "soak" cycle followed by a "quick" cycle.  I wouldn't over-think this, just collect her clothes/towels/bedding/etc. separately and put it in a wash like you normally would and wash without adding anything.  Yes, it should clean just fine for babies.

#19 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Let's see, I would probably either put it in for a "normal" wash, just with no soap (ours is about 4-5 changes of water), or a "soak" cycle followed by a "quick" cycle.  I wouldn't over-think this, just collect her clothes/towels/bedding/etc. separately and put it in a wash like you normally would and wash without adding anything.  Yes, it should clean just fine for babies.

Ok. Think I just just do this over for few cycles before throwing them in the drier and using them?

#20 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Ok. Think I just just do this over for few cycles before throwing them in the drier and using them?

Yeah, and the dryer sounds fine if you are not using any fabric softeners in the wash or dryer sheets that might leave a residue on the dryer wall.  It might take a few washes to get out all the detergent.  Check any labels on her clothes for spandex or lycra, too as they can also be irritants, or exposed elastic.  All things to consider when you are out of ideas.  This post has focussed so much on foods that I don't remember if you said you had pets?  Is she sharing your bed?  I'm thinking of environmental allergens that might affect her skin.  Again, when you're out of ideas......

Yeah, the cradle cap could muddy up what you are seeing esp. since in the worst cases it can spread to the entire body, starting at the forehead/neck area and reaching her torso and onward.  I cleared up my daughter's by using that Neutrogena product (name??) every day for a week.  OK, not the most holistic/natural method perhaps, but she was miserable and all her skin was angry red and bumpy.  We just treated her scalp and it went away.  Of course, not the end of the skin troubles, but that particular one disappeared after one round of treatment.  Happier baby, to be sure!

Also, no soap!  Babies don't need soap or very many baths or hot water.

#21 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, and the dryer sounds fine if you are not using any fabric softeners in the wash or dryer sheets that might leave a residue on the dryer wall.  It might take a few washes to get out all the detergent.  Check any labels on her clothes for spandex or lycra, too as they can also be irritants, or exposed elastic.  All things to consider when you are out of ideas.  This post has focussed so much on foods that I don't remember if you said you had pets?  Is she sharing your bed?  I'm thinking of environmental allergens that might affect her skin.  Again, when you're out of ideas......

Yeah, the cradle cap could muddy up what you are seeing esp. since in the worst cases it can spread to the entire body, starting at the forehead/neck area and reaching her torso and onward.  I cleared up my daughter's by using that Neutrogena product (name??) every day for a week.  OK, not the most holistic/natural method perhaps, but she was miserable and all her skin was angry red and bumpy.  We just treated her scalp and it went away.  Of course, not the end of the skin troubles, but that particular one disappeared after one round of treatment.  Happier baby, to be sure!

Also, no soap!  Babies don't need soap or very many baths or hot water.

welll, I guess I should say that we havent used fabric softener in the drier, LATELY. Its been a good few months and even before we rarely used them.

She shares our bed. I will be washing pillow cases (shes been laying on them lately to keep her nose clear d/t a cold) and all her blankets so she can have a barrier between us and the bed.

We have a bird, althoug she tested negative to feathers from the skin prick test.

Its worst on her face. She barely has any on her body, least of all her bac. The skin in her elbow and knees are itchy and her abdomen is starting to itch, even though it doesnt look too bad. I just figure the face has the most sensitive skin so if it is environmental, that would get the worst of it. Just my reasoning

#22 of 27 Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, tried it! I see no noticeable difference, unlessvivdid it wrong. Maybe u should have washed all the bedding besides the ones she rests her head on? Who knows.... Anyways,. She didn't get worse tho, so that's good.

#23 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 AM

I didn't have time to read all of the responses, so I'm sorry if I am repeating anything.  This sounds exactly like my niece and what she had going on.  My sister had to go completely grain free, within 2 days her baby cleared right up.  She followed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  Or you could try the GAPS diet.  My sister has discovered, it is more a situation of her own compromised health and leaky gut.  So these two diets I mentioned are healing diets.  She has also found she needs to limit all dairy, as she herself started showing dairy intolerance symptoms.

I hope this helps a bit.  I know how exhausting and draining this whole process has been for my sister.  But she is feeling health benefits from the diet change as well.  She also takes her baby to the chiro weekly for adjustments.  That has also helped tremendously.

I am a wife of 1 and mother of 3
DD 10/06  DS 08/08  DD 07/10
#24 of 27 Old 03-18-2012, 04:22 PM

Sorry I've not been checking the thread.  Just noticed it again.

YES - wash the baby clothes separately from the adults, in hot water with only a tiny amount of an unscented, all natural laundry soap. Or, just use hot water, with no soap at all.  Seriously, the hot water is what kills dust mites.  If the clothes aren't stained or dirty looking, then really, what's the need for soap?     I would LOSE the vinegar rinse, since hot water will deal with the sanitation part.  It's just a potential skin irritant.

Interesting comment about the cradle cap.  I recently saw a baby who had a nasty red rash....and it did turn out to be cradle cap and an antifungal ointment cleared it up right away.  However, in our case, I think it was eczema since the religious overmoisturizing routine did the trick.

If you think about it, the skin is an organ.  Dryness causes cracks, which paves the way for irritation.  If you can seal up those cracks through intense moisturizing, then the skin will be less irritated by things contacting it.  

I believe that internal and external triggers can work together.  E.g. a food sensitivity might make the skin more prone to irritation from external substances such as detergents or scratchy clothing or fingernail scratches, etc.  Once the cycle of broken skin starts, then I imagine it's hard to reverse it.  In our case, when I've ingested dairy, dd has gotten some cheek rash from where her spit-up contacted it.  When I'm dairy free this doesn't happen.  

I can't emphasize enough the importance of a moisturizing protective barrier that's very thick/emollient.  Wiping down the skin with just warm water first is very important too, then immediately moisturizing to seal in the moisture.

Hope it clears soon.  That's awful not sleeping :(

#25 of 27 Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All Free & Clear has changed their formula. They added Optical Brightners which can be very irritating. It also has corn derivatives and my daughter is allergic to corn. I switched to Charlie's Soap and she's doing much better. I was getting itchy from the detergent too  (no allergies) and no problems now.

On an infant, I bet it would be even more intense. I would stop the All Free & Clear.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#26 of 27 Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamarie View Post
 I switched to Charlie's Soap and she's doing much better. I was getting itchy from the detergent too  (no allergies) and no problems now.

On an infant, I bet it would be even more intense. I would stop the All Free & Clear.

I'd have to switch to soft water, correct? Any way to see if Charlies soap would work without going thru the trouble of getting a water softener as a "test"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom.of.two View Post

I didn't have time to read all of the responses, so I'm sorry if I am repeating anything.  This sounds exactly like my niece and what she had going on.  My sister had to go completely grain free, within 2 days her baby cleared right up.  She followed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  Or you could try the GAPS diet.  My sister has discovered, it is more a situation of her own compromised health and leaky gut.  So these two diets I mentioned are healing diets.  She has also found she needs to limit all dairy, as she herself started showing dairy intolerance symptoms.

I hope this helps a bit.  I know how exhausting and draining this whole process has been for my sister.  But she is feeling health benefits from the diet change as well.  She also takes her baby to the chiro weekly for adjustments.  That has also helped tremendously.

OMG.... my head is spinning with diet. I feel guilty everytime I eat anything. I did rotation diet for a bit and then realized that I have ZERO clue of what the triggers are, if any. I've kept a food journal and stopped because I couldnt pinpoint anything. 

Now I'm debating just doing a total elimination diet for a week or two and if that doesnt work then, perhaps I can try one of these.  My family already thinks I'm crazy because I've pretty much cut out the top 8 food allergies as well as berries.  I'm starting to think DH and my mom are thinking this is all a scheme because nothing works. They hate seeing me suffer (and of course, DD2) going through all this.  If I tell them I'm doing another diet (if the TED doesnt work) I dont even know how much support I'll be getting, not that I dont wanna try.   At the same time, are there any free resources on GAPS and SCD. I dont want to have to buy an entire book to have it not work. URGH!bawling.gif

#27 of 27 Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Sorry, I havent been online for a bit! I just saw your post and since its been 3 week, a lot may have changed. My sister never bought the books, she found enough information online to be able to jump right in. Have things gotten any better? You may need to stick with a certain diet for 2 weeks in order to see any change in your little one. If there is no change, then those foods that you have eliminated are not the culprit. One thing to consider is the quality of meat and dairy you are consuming. Say your little one has an issue with grains or corn, if you are eating grain fed beef or drinking the milk from a grain fed cow but you have eliminated grains from your diet you may not see a difference.

My son had issues with grains when he was younger and when we were out of town we bought milk (still raw, organic) but from grain fed cows and he had a reaction. Just a thought!

I hope things have improved a bit for you!

I am a wife of 1 and mother of 3
DD 10/06  DS 08/08  DD 07/10

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page