Anyone with a coconut allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone out there with a coconut allergy?  What are the symptoms?  How soon do they show up? Did you have any testing done to confirm it, if that even exists?  As we are in the midst of an elimination diet to determine the cause of my daughter's eczema, chronic diarrhea, limited weight gain, and frequent night waking, we have been adding in coconut milk (she is now off dairy, eggs, wheat, spelt, soy, and peanuts).  She has been getting hives, her eczema flares up like crazy, she is congested, and the poops are worse than ever.  She has had very few coconut exposures in her life up to this point.  She has also recently had the stomach flu and I have a cold that I could have given her, so we are having a hard time sorting out what is causing what (I have also recently posted about citrus as a suspect in the eczema flare ups, too).

Thanks!

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We have a true (IgE) coconut allergy here.  DS had really bad GI issues with it and was starting to get hives with it.  That said, coconut allergies are RARE.  It sounds like her system is in a bit of overdrive so I wouldn't chalk it up to coconut just yet.  I would give her some time to get over the flu and all.  

I think you mentioned citric acid in your other post.  If so, that is very often corn derived so that could be an  issue if you notice that citric acid is a problem.

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List