Chicken Allergy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there was part of a thread with some mention of this but it is now locked since it's so old. Our DS is 5 and has always vomited since we first introduced chicken to him but we officially got him tested about 2 yrs ago and reults from a scratch test came back negative. For thise who have children with this allergy how were they tested and what are their reactions to ingesting the chicken.

Our son was given chicken again this past summer since the ped allergist said to wait until he is old enough and can verbalize what he feels to introduce again. He ate a tiny piece and then about an hour later he got really sweaty, lethargic and the feel asleep and the vomiting started. Once he vomited he felt better but still lethargic. 

Would like to hear other stories since when I tell people he can't eat chicken they look at me like I'm crazy!!

#2 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Look into FPIES.  Sounds like a classic case.  Many allergists don't know about it and most GI's don't either.  My DS has FPIES to banana so I know the crazy looks people give!

#3 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM

Not one of mine, but my good friend's dd is allergic to chicken. They discovered it through nursing, she is that sensitive (baby is about 11 months old now). Just to let you know your ds isn't the only one out there!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, having been doing some reading and yes it does sound like this doesn't it?!  When he first had a reaction to chicken we actually called 911 it was so scary, he was so lethargic, looked like he was turning blue, puking bile (by the time they showed up) and he looked horrible! Of course they thought we were crazy but still brought us to emerg where we sat for hours before being seen still while he was puking every 1/2 hour or so. He was exclusively BF till 6/7 mths but when I think back now to when he was an infant and how he would have some bouts of projectile vomiting perhaps this was related to when I had chicken too, I thought it was milk so I cut milk out of my diet back then. 

To date now he is quite picky and has sensitive gag and has very sensitive skin with mild eczema so it makes me wonder if there are other foods that he is sensitive to. He  often looks like he has a distended belly but doesn't really complain about it hurting him. This past Sun he vomited and now has diarrhea  so after reading all this info I'm trying to look back to that day or the evening before to see if maybe something triggered this or if it is just a bug going around!!

I will have to ask our allergist and our family doc if they have heard of this if not then will have them at least make note f it to look and and further educate themselves.

#5 of 9 Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 AM

FPIES shock is pretty scary esp. when you don't know what's going on.  I know with our DS it was the lethargy and "crash" that worried me most but in reality dehydration is the biggest worry.  There is a web board like this called Kids with Food allergies.  They have an area JUST for FPIES.

I would print out some basic information to take to the Dr. with you.  We had 5 allergists (yes, FIVE) and it wasn't till #5 that he diagnosed FPIES after I had figured it out for myself.

#6 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I read your link about FPIES, and I loved the website it was on.  Can this happen in adults, too?  (I ask that specifically because I had a very similar reaction after eating rabbit for lunch at a friend's house.)  The article mentioned mild cases briefly, but what does that mean, and can it be harmful anyway to continue eating something that is causing those "mild" reactions?  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

What link?  Do you mean KFA?  If it was an article there, you would have to point me to it!  lol I am on there but admit that I haven't read the FPIES pointers because I am pretty comfortable with what I know about it.  The treatment for FPIES Is just like regular allergies, avoidance so continuing to eat it is not advised.

As for it happening to adults?  I have no idea.  I know most kids outgrow it by 3 if not 5 (much like "normal" allergies).  I suppose anything is possible!  

#8 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

You know, all these threads run together for me!  I did go to that website and found the FPIES page.  Don't ask me how or when or in what sequence I did things!  It's all one big muddle!  nut.gif

Oh, yeah, now I remember.  I googled FPIES and recognized the website. 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#9 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 PM

thumb.gif  It's all good!  lol

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page