Is there a test that determines the severity of an allergy? (or when to worry about airborne food allergy) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
Nosy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When DS was 4 we noticed he coughed when he had several different tree nuts.  He has asthma so we kept them out of his diet.  A few months ago (he's now 7), he accidentally had pecan, and his lip and face swelled and complained that his throat felt itchy.  It was relieved with Benadryl.  We have an Epipen that our doctor prescribed just in case but we have never had any official allergy test. 

 

He is homeschooled so we haven't had to address school issues before but he is going to be going to a co-op next fall twice a week, so I'm wondering whether I need to be worried about reactions to things people have touched that have nut residue on them or airborne exposure to nuts.  He hasn't had this issue before, but I know nut allergies can escalate.  What test would best assess his nut allergy? 

Nosy is offline  
#2 of 3 Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM
 
scsigrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 steps from CraZyville
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There is no test that will tell you "how" bad an allergy is or how reactions will progress.  

 

Any GOOD allergist will tell you that an oral challenge is the BEST way to "test" which is essentially what happened with your DS (and I am so sorry that it happened like that :(  How scary!  Glad you have dpi pens, you may want to go over your FAAP with your Dr.  A reaction like you describe would be an case to Epi for us!)

 

Do you know these people in the co-op?  I would not leave my FA kid with anyone who wasn't capable of assessing my kid for a reaction and who was dpi trained.  Can you teach the co-op parents these things?

scsigrl is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
Nosy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, there would be 3 or 4 teachers I'd have to educate, so probably do-able.

 

It's depressing that there's no way of knowing whether swelling face from ingestion will develop into a reaction from contact or breathing it in nearby until it happens.

Nosy is offline  
Reply

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off