allergy shots vs. natural treatment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw the allergist for the first time this morning. I had 38 tests done and am allergic to half of them. I have asthma along with this, which has been worsening over the last two years. He wants me to take allergy shots. I had them in high school and college, and all I remember is that they were extretemely uncomfortable, time consuming and didnt' seem to help that much. I also worry about what is in the shots as I am breastfeeding.

Are there any natural treatments that do the same? I was wondering about homeopathy...anyone have any luck w/ that? I'm just feeling frustrated and hopeless right now, and scared that my asthma will just keep getting worse and worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 08:12 PM

acupuncture is really effective for asthma/allergies. In fact, any modality that strenghthemed the inner healing energy would be far better, at least at first, than conventional treatment, IMO.
#3 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 PM

i wonder what's IN an allergy shot. i had them myself as a teenager, for about a year. they didnt help at all, they hurt, were expensive, and it was a giant PITA to go get them.
im sorry, i don't have any advice!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#4 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 PM

I don't know about natural treatments, but I did 3 years of allergy shots for my allergies (environmental- grass, trees, shrubs and animals) and they worked wonders for me. I went from serevent, flovent, and albuterol 2-3x a day to as needed meds only (albuterol maybe 1-2x a week).

It was a PITA, but it didn't hurt THAT much b/c they are very small needles. I guess they do work for some, not for others.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 PM

Ive done NAET with my kids for allergies with great results. It's totally non-invasive & effective for many people.
#6 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 PM

I have done web searches and posted threads trying to find out what IS OR WAS in allergy shots many times...to no avail. I had them and have never had that bad allergies (back then), but a Mom who always had at Docs for every sniffle. The allergist insisted I had bad allergies so I got 2 to 4 shots a week and took seldane!!!!

Try everything else first, Quercetin comlex has worked well for me...stopping my chronic strep throat/tonsilitis (allergy induced) for months now!
#7 of 11 Old 04-14-2004, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's in the allergy shots is miniscule amounts of the actual stuff you are allergic to. Initially the concentration is very low. As your body gets used to the lowest concentration, as seen by it not reacting in any way, the concentration is slowly increased.

The only difference from homeopathy that I can see with allergy shots is that some of the substance is stilll in the serum. And it's actual stuff, not something else that provokes similar reactions.

It's about as natural a treatment for allergies as you can get.

I was getting them back before DS was born, continued all through the pregnancy, and continued while he was a baby. I think they helped some.

"What will you do once you know?"
#8 of 11 Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

That is one of my bigest concerns too.....We have avoided vaxing with DS thus far, mostly because of the stuff such as formaldyhyde, aluminum, thermisol and other nasty stuff that is in them. Would allergy shots have the same stuff, or is it just the small amount of the allergen? If it's just the allergen, I might be inclined to try them again (although I remember hating them as a teen) But I'd hate to pass along any of the other stuff to my little guy through nursing, or to another chils when we have another baby.

I've thought about NAET or acupuncture, but our funding is limited , and the shots are covered by insurance....
#9 of 11 Old 04-15-2004, 05:18 AM

I went into anaphylactic shock from allergy shots. I believe they can be effective, but consider the potential consequences before choosing to do it.

Right before I started college (1995), I got tested, and like you, found I was allergic to most things they tested for. (In real life, I only was allergic to cats and had the occasional hayfever). I did have occasional asthma as well. My allergist recommended allergy shots.

I was in college from early Sept-mid Oct getting my shots at the health center. By mid October, I was just about to switch to a higher dosage and was on my last dose of the weakest concentration.

Immediately when I got the shot I knew something was wrong. My skin near the injection tingled and within seconds my whole body tingled. Somethign was seriously wrong. The nurse gave me Benadryl then called 911. Within two minutes I could not move. The ambulance was on it's way and she had to inject epinepherine (adrenaline) into me multiple times because I was losing conciousness. I actually had to concentrate to make my heart beat or take a breath once a minute, which is the hardest scariest thing I've ever done. About 10 people from paramedics arrived, gave me more epinepherine and 3 IVs, discovered I had NO pulse or blood pressure, and rushed me to ER where I stayed several days in Intensive Care. Needless to say, I quit allergy shots.

I also know someone else this happened to as well.

I firmly believe in western medicine when it is necessary, but there are a lot of alternative therapies available for allergies/asthma.

I have done NAET, chiropractic, acupuncture, Quercetin and Bromelain at one time or another. I find that NAET/chiro and the combination of Quercetin and Bromelain BEFORE allergy season hit helps me the most. I still have an occasional bad day where I take prescription meds or use my inhaler, but for the most part, I feel tons better than when I was taking the shots even.
#10 of 11 Old 04-17-2004, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mariposita, that's why those shots are only done in a doctor's office. Sounds like they moved too quickly with increasing yours. Glad you survived that experience!

As I recall, I had to keep my serum in the refrigerator, which would argue against there being much if any preservatives in it.

If I were having them done again, I'd ask specifically about the presence of preservatives. They should be able to tell you or call the manufacturer to find out.

"What will you do once you know?"
#11 of 11 Old 04-17-2004, 10:24 PM

I've done allergy shots. the last series was for 5 years. (before I started actually thinking about what I was doing for anything healthwise)... for me, they didn't help. what did help was seeing my chiropractor frequently (at least once a week during season for me).

While getting the shots, I had at least one sinus infection requiring antibiotics every 4-6 weeks. once I stopped getting the shots, I stopped getting the infections. In the 5 years since I stopped, I've been sick only 2x, neither requiring antibiotics.

During peak allergy season, I may have to take a single dose of sudafed but nothing like the burst and taper of prednisone that I did when on shots.

Also, I had 3 occassions in the time I was taking shots that I had a systemic reaction - required a dose of epinephrine. Thing is that I wasn't even to "therapeutic dose" on one of the shots when it happened.

As to what's in the shots... depends on how they are made. of my 5, two were general extracts - no preservatives. three were precipitated with Aluminum hydroxide... I joke with dh that I'm going to get alzheimers because I wanted to quit sneezing...

If money is a serious issue, talk to your chiropractor (I'm assuming that you have one) about making alternate financial arrangements. It never hurts to ask.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page