Vitamins and Dietary Supplement for Severly Allergic Son - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 yr old ds has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts, milk, soy, eggs and kiwi.  I've been worried about his weight and health for a while, I asked to see a dietician and it really was not all that helpful.  He drinks almond milk and sometimes rice milk, neither of which have much fat.  At 3 yrs old he's not really eating enough meat to put any weight on.  I am afraid of trying new things for fear of allergies, last week I gave him kiwi and we ended up rushing him to the ER with a surprise anaphylactic reaction (we were unaware of the kiwi allergy).  I've tried a couple things that are high in fat- coconut milk and avocadoes- in various forms and both were rejected by his strong gag reflex.  I can't think of any other high fat foods.  He loves fruit and eats veggies ok, loves carbs and eats meat in moderation.  He is for the most part healthy and active and happy, he does look peaked and pale from time to time.  I've just noticed that stores in our area are now carrying "Coconut Dream" which is higher in fat than his almond milk, I'm hoping he can tolerate it.  He turned 3 in November, was a healthy full term baby weighing almost 9 lbs, he's never been vaccinated and self weaned at 2.5 yrs old.  He is still under 30 pounds, being 29.4 lbs and holding for several months, he's 37 inches tall.   He's always been a very slow gainer, but it concerns me that I can see his ribs, he's so skinny and I can't seem to fatten him up at all.  So with all that in mind, is there anything else I can add to his diet?  Is his weight ok?  Our doctor and dietician seemed unconcerned with his small size and slow growth.  How about vitamins, with all his allergies I'm feeling like he should be on something to supplement all the holes in his diet?  We're looking into further allergy testing what with his recent reaction to kiwi, to see if there's anything else he's allergic to that we haven't fed him yet (such as shellfish).  Thanks.

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page