Late-onset dairy intolerance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background: My DD had a fairly severe dairy intolerance, which I finally discovered at around 8 months.  While breastfeeding, I couldn't eat any dairy.  Her symptoms were colic, stomach pain, and mucousy stools.  She became able to tolerate trace dairy at age 2 and full-on dairy at 2.5. 

When I was pregnant with my son, I worried a lot about him having a dairy intolerance as well.  To my relief, he didn't show any signs of it.  I didn't have to avoid dairy while breastfeeding, and when he moved to solids, he ate cheese as a frequent snack, yogurt, pizza, ice cream, etc.  However, as a hold-over from my daughter's issues, we use alternative milk in our house (usually almond).

As my son slowed his nursing, I decided it was probably best to go to whole cow milk.  We made the change in January, at 21 months.

Soon afterward, he started having multiple loose and mucousy stools a day, and he got extremely grumpy.  I didn't make the connection at first because it wasn't on my radar at all.  It took 2-3 weeks to realize the association and decide to try eliminating the milk.  Sure enough, his symptoms resolved quickly (12-24 hours).

We went back to normal after that (no cow milk, but other dairy products).  However, we noticed that the day after a pizza/ice cream night, he had some symptoms.  If we had just pizza (no ice cream), he seemed fine.  Weird.... he hadn't had problems with this before (pizza and ice cream is our Monday night tradition).

This morning I gave him yogurt for the first time in a couple weeks.  It used to be a frequent and favorite breakfast food, but I hadn't purchased any recently.  He loved the yogurt, but an hour/hour-and-a-half later, he was screaming when with DH and, when with me, laying down and "snuggle mommy" and sucking on his fingers (his calm-down method).  I managed to distract him and the rest of the morning was fine.  When he woke from his nap, though, he was poopy.  He pooped again <5 minutes later.  And then AGAIN <5 minutes later.  Both the last 2 were mucuosy.

I'm so confused.  Is this a dairy issue?  It SEEMS like it, but I'm reluctant to believe it.  Why are these symptoms showing up so late?  Why do they seem to be getting worse?

Thanks for reading, any insight/experiences appreciated.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There are many kids who can tolerate "baked" or cooked dairy but nothing straight (i.e. in cereal or yogurt and the like).  Maybe that's something to keep track of (if you are thinking of keeping him on dairy).

#3 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 PM

I agree with trying to keep track of it to be sure.  I eliminated dairy for my son and he did great.  I trialed it back in, and the symptoms came back.  But then on a whim, I tried giving him Lactaid pills before a meal with dairy, and the symptoms stayed away.  In his case it came about after he had a reaction to his 5th DTaP vaccine at 5 years.  I've also heard that temporary lactose intolerance can crop up after an illness, but I don't have a source for that or know that it is accurate.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Some can tolerate cheese, but not yoghurt or milk.  I'd keep a food log.  

#5 of 11 Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM

This is fascinating. I'm just putting things together regarding my 3-year-old who developed what seems like a dairy intolerance six months ago after getting the 4th dose of DTaP on his 3rd birthday.

The following three months brought these symptoms:

VERY moody

not digesting milk - white curd in stool the next day after drinking it. Undigested shredded cheese the day after challenging it again.

wetting the bed the morning after drinking milk

red ear after eating cheese sometime that day

bad breath after eating cheese

cold after cold after cold, then ear infection, pink eye (though this was already after he was mostly off dairy)

His digestion has basically gone downhill. Maybe he had a slight intolerance before that I just didn't notice, but wow, since the vaccine it's been a roller coaster ride. All of DH's aunts and uncles and siblings had dairy allergies.

I've learned a lot about milk since this started, and basically I'm glad I figured out that dairy is not good for my kids. But I still might try NAET so DS can have an occasional ice cream cone.

#6 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

We vaccinate fully but haven't had one in nearly a year.  I don't think they're connected.

Yogurt is pretty lactose-free, so if it were just lactose, I don't think he would react so strongly to the yogurt but not cheese.

This week we did pizza but avoided other dairy, and he's been ok.  So, so strange.....

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#7 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post

So, so strange.....

Welcome to the world of allergies and intolerances!  Sounds like the "baked milk" theory seems the more plausible in this situation.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#8 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM

I had to come back to say that I'm not positive the dairy intolerance in my son is related to the DTaP. I've been mulling it over in my mind, and there could be other factors. Maybe he's  gluten intolerant; maybe he had mold exposure; maybe he had a virus or parasite that caused temporary lactose intolerance around the same time. 

It's so hard to pin down the cause. Often I read these message boards and take someone's personal experience as gospel, and I don't want anyone to do that with my post. 

Word to the wise: do your own research! smile.gif

Bokonon likes this.
#9 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM

I'm curious what the ingredients in the Dtap vaccine are...as it seems to me that injecting substances to directly enter the bloodstream is a recipe for developing sensitivies to the substances being injected, ykwim?  Isn't there some kind of bovine derivative?  I'm actually holding off on vaxing my 5 month old as I'm suspecting milk-soy protein intolerance and I'm not sure what is in the vaccines (well, I lean towards delayed vax in general anyway).

#10 of 11 Old 03-24-2012, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A vaccination isn't injecting into the bloodstream.  They are intramuscular. 

The only food issue that I know of that is set off by another "thing" (i.e. not genetics) is Celiac which is "turned on" by some event though no one is sure what.  So while I have no evidence, everything I know of food allergies/issues is that it all comes down to genetics.

#11 of 11 Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

A vaccination isn't injecting into the bloodstream.  They are intramuscular. 

Yes - agreed.  It's not like an IV.  However it does make it's way rapidly into the general bloodstream via the capillaries running through the muscle tissue (a different route than entering via the GI tract)

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page