Thick poop in Breastfed Newborn- Need thoughts, pls! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Tell me if you think this is an allergy- My DD2 was born 2/1 and passed the meconium within 48 hrs or so. She had seedy, yellowish breastmilk poop until Day 6. Then she didn't poop for three days. When she did, it was really thick but still yellow and smelled normal. Then she didn't go for a whole week! And the pedi did a rectal exam (poor baby). She went that afternoon a ton, but it was super thick and she really strained to get it out. 

She is now 4 1/2 wks old and still has super thick poop. She only goes every few days and it's a very small amount. The pedi thinks it's b/c of a "tight anal ring" so he sent us to GI. They were not concerned at all. Said she is just using the all the nutrients from the milk efficiently and that's what is left. If she were all backed up and full of poop, her belly would be distended and/or she'd be vomiting. 

Maybe I'm just overreacting, but a 100% breastfed baby should have the "normal" seedy, yellow, very wet BMs. I've cut dairy out of my diet, just in case, but I'm not sure that's it. Does anyone have any thoughts?? Has anyone's newborn ever had poop like this? I'm even wondering if it's a supply issue (I have pretty forceful let downs and the baby is really starting to fuss over them). I know this is the allergy forum, but I thought I'd start here and see if anyone had any advice. 

Thanks!! Barbara

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnone View Post
 Said she is just using the all the nutrients from the milk efficiently and that's what is left.  

I would agree with this.  Is she happy otherwise? I wouldn't be worried.  Baby poop comes in all ways.  Again, if there are no other issues, I wouldn't spend a ton of time on it.

#3 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

What do you mean by thick? Can you shake it out of the diaper or is it like peanut butter or toothpaste? 

The not going everyday is totally normal. Breastmilk is very easily digested.

Signs of food allergies may include green, foamy or mucosy poop, vomiting, excessive crying or gas, and diaper rash.

Check out block feeding for correcting over active letdown and imbalance. Kellymom is a good site.

#4 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Oh, yeah.  EBF infants can often go a week between BMs.  "Very wet"?  Not necessarily.  Perhaps at some point a "well-formed" BM might indicate something, but if the GI docs think everything is normal, then that would settle it for me.

So, I'd say you can add back the dairy in your diet.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

By thick, I mean like peanut butter thick (thanks! I was having a hard time figuring out what to compare it to. PB is a perfect description!). It doesn't even touch the dipe usually. Mostly, it's just a little piece of playdoh stuck to her bum. So, it's not the once a week that concerns me, just the thickness. 

She seems to get uncomfortable at times- grunts, gets all red- and I think she's trying to go. But it's not too bad.

Now, I think we're dealing more w/ an oversupply issue. She has gotten very fussy (compared to her first few weeks) when nursing. So we're trying the nurse on one side per feeding. I just keep putting her back on the same breast. It seems better already, but could be a coincidence. And I did find the info on kellymom. 

Thanks everyone!!

#6 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can I jump in here?

My DD2 is 9 months now. Her poop seems similar to what is described by the OP. We EC, and when DD poops in the potty, it snakes out of her into the bowl in one long stool. If it's in a diaper, it is thick kind of peanut buttery stuff. She also usually goes a while in between poops; that doesn't concern me, it's the formed-ness (yeah, I know that isn't a word lol) that makes me go huh?!
She is mostly EBF, just recently starting to play with a little bit of food. These poops have been her norm for quite a while though, way before any food, when she was totally EBF.

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#7 of 11 Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmevans View Post

Can I jump in here?
My DD2 is 9 months now. Her poop seems similar to what is described by the OP. We EC, and when DD poops in the potty, it snakes out of her into the bowl in one long stool. If it's in a diaper, it is thick kind of peanut buttery stuff. She also usually goes a while in between poops; that doesn't concern me, it's the formed-ness (yeah, I know that isn't a word lol) that makes me go huh?!
She is mostly EBF, just recently starting to play with a little bit of food. These poops have been her norm for quite a while though, way before any food, when she was totally EBF.

I know. I was concerned about the thickness of my DD's poops as well. But apparently none of the doctors are. The pediatrician and the GI docs think the consistency isn't an issue. DD will poop every 7-10 days or so. Sometimes it's a ton, mixed peanut butter and thinner "normal" EBF poop. And sometimes it's only a little stuck to her bum. My only guess is that since it's staying inside her for so long, she's absorbing all the moisture and that's why it's more dried out (but not at all dried like you would associate w/ constipation). So, we're just going with the flow for now. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is growing :)

#8 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnone View Post

I know. I was concerned about the thickness of my DD's poops as well. But apparently none of the doctors are. The pediatrician and the GI docs think the consistency isn't an issue. DD will poop every 7-10 days or so. Sometimes it's a ton, mixed peanut butter and thinner "normal" EBF poop. And sometimes it's only a little stuck to her bum. My only guess is that since it's staying inside her for so long, she's absorbing all the moisture and that's why it's more dried out (but not at all dried like you would associate w/ constipation). So, we're just going with the flow for now. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is growing smile.gif

To the bolded: That makes sense to me!

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#9 of 11 Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Just noticed this...and I'm assuming it's been checked, but how many wet diapers per day does your baby have?  Is the urine clear or dark?  Is the air dry where you are? (just wondered if there could be mild dehydration, not enough to slow growth, but maybe just a bit?).   If baby's otherwise very well hydrated, it also sounds normal to me (that she just absorbs it all instead of it passing through quickly).  

I still think it's a good idea in general to eliminate all sources of dairy though - it takes a few weeks to get the proteins of your system.  If a baby is sensitive, dairy is known to slow down transit time (increasing constipation).

#10 of 11 Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm not the OP, but have a baby with similar poops.

I have a very "high needs" baby who doesn't like to sleep, is very fussy, needy and then also the poop thing. Silent reflux has also been a problem in the past. 

I've been wondering about wheat/gluten for my baby. She seems to have a few sensitivities. We have cut out dairy with no change, so I do have dairy. However, we did notice improvements with cutting out egg and tomato. She had silent reflux as a newbie and cutting those out reduced and totally got rid of that. 

She had Whole Foods brand organic "cheerios" and seemed to react. Oat often goes along with gluten, so I'm wondering about that.

We have lots of pees though, so I'm not worried about dehydration. 

#11 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM

I was having some issues with my now 3mo ds.  While his poo was usually very loose, he was constantly grunting, pushing but not passing anything (seemingly very constipated).  I have tried to cut out wheat/gluten products for the most part and dairy.  But one time I made a visit to our local health food store and was just chatting with the sales clerk and she shared some stories about her sister's experiences with her child.  Gluten and dairy seemed to be and issue for their baby.  Also, like me, they received antibiotics during labor/delivery.  She went on to suggest a probiotic and I bought ABC Dophilus powder (multiple strain) made by SOLGAR.  I can't say it fixed everything but it sure did help.  

The doctors constantly explained to me that the digestive system has to get use to working.  My ds was doing a whole lot of pushing before it was even ready to come out.  They called it discoordinated something or other.  I couldn't find any info on it on the internet.  But as he gets older, it gets better.  He barely does the excess pushing now at a little over 3mos and before he'd push until his poor little face was red and puffy.  Also, I personally notice a happier, less fussy baby when I avoid dairy and gluten products.  Every now and again I slip and have a little here and there and then a little more here and there and before you know it, he's fussing crying and hasn't pooped quite right in a day or so and I think, what did I do?? and I'm like Ooohhhh bread and milk....  Then we start all over again.  *sigh*   It takes some getting use to.  Unfortunately with newborns, its mostly about trial and error. :(  

But anyway, I would suggest a good probiotic.  The one I am using is "100% Dairy, lactose and milk free and no casein"  I only used a 1/4 of the dosage when he was a nb.  Now I give him 1/2.  I give it according to his needs which varied from every other day to once a week or every other week.  I pump an ounce or 2 (preferably 2 cuz he doesn't care for the taste of the probiotic in just 1ounce) and give it to him using one of Dr. Brown's glass bottles.  

Hope this helps.

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page