Can someone explain to me this concept in rotating your diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so confused. Just started today and now im having second thoghts. Doing this for my ebf dd with eczema to see if i can track down allergy trriggers.

So when rotating your foods one thing you are doing is "unmasking" antibodies so that if u react to something, it will be more pronounced... Correct?
Lets say seven days into the diet (hypothetically speaking, on a four day rotation) see a reaction. How would I know where it came from? What day would the culprit be? See,s so difficult to track this sort of thing, even with a food journal!
Does the concept of this diet mean that the unmasking of antibodies would make a reaction so pronounced that I'd notice it now right away?

Btw... I'm still not certain about what the unsaid rules are on posting here on mdc.... I feel like I have a million lists with regard to DVDs eczema!innocent.gif

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Hi,  just saw your post and wanted to respond.  It has been several years since I had a nursling, but when my dd was an infant I had to figure some food sensitivities out too. 

So, I am confused by your question about antibodies??? I will assume for this reply that you are talking about symptoms.  Like your baby has symptoms of allergy (gas, irritability, skin rash or bum rash) than there are antibodies present?????  I don't know, but symptoms are symptoms.  If you think the baby is reacting than there is an issue whether or not antibodies are involved.  I think antibodies are present when there is a true allergy (and thus an antibody reaction) and not just an intolerance or sensitivity. 

Rotating the diet will help you figure out which foods your baby is sensitive (or allergic) too.  For instance wheat;  no wheat in your diet for 4 days,  day 4 introduce wheat and see if baby has a reaction.  I think 4 days is the 'standard' for seeing results, but don't forget (my nursing consultant told me it takes roughly 6 hours for food you eat to reach the breast milk), so after a few hours and your child nurses, then gets ubber fussy...hmmm,  I would say a sensitivity exists.  If not, maybe take something else out of your diet instead... like egg whites (very hard for infants to digest this protien), or milk, or gassy veggies, or whatever. 

A rotation diet is difficult and takes a long time if you can't narrow down the field of what your child is having a reaction to.  I know some women who eat very, very mild diet and drink no coffee or caffiene etc.... 

Do you have a place to start?  How old is your child?  I reread and see it is a skin rash.... I would cut out gluten and or wheat for sure.  I think this is a very common allergen that presents in a skin rash.... that is a place to start anyway.

not all who wander are lost
#3 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlunatic View Post

Rotating the diet will help you figure out which foods your baby is sensitive (or allergic) too.  For instance wheat;  no wheat in your diet for 4 days,  day 4 introduce wheat and see if baby has a reaction.  I think 4 days is the 'standard' for seeing results, but don't forget (my nursing consultant told me it takes roughly 6 hours for food you eat to reach the breast milk), so after a few hours and your child nurses, then gets ubber fussy...hmmm,  I would say a sensitivity exists.  If not, maybe take something else out of your diet instead... like egg whites (very hard for infants to digest this protien), or milk, or gassy veggies, or whatever. 

Do you have a place to start?  How old is your child?  I reread and see it is a skin rash.... I would cut out gluten and or wheat for sure.  I think this is a very common allergen that presents in a skin rash.... that is a place to start anyway.

i really have no idea where to start! for the longest time.. months... i have been off of wheat, dairy, gluten, eggs, nuts, chocolate, and now berries (per her scratch test). i feel like whatever i eat, she will eventually react, so i dont know where to start?! every time she reacts i have no clue what it came from or from how many hours/days ago the offending item was eaten

6 hours is a good piece of advice. so if i ate something... and she gets super itchy than that could be a reaction? i almost want to do a TED but dont know if i can follow thru that long. 2 weeks, is it? dh is pressuring me to put her on formula for a while, but i am so resistant.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#4 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Formula is not the best thing for suspected allergies, really.  Dairy or soy, corn are the main ingredients in formula (sometimes rice, but that is not allergen-free, either).   Also, I'm not sure that any regular formula is gluten-free (??)  You are really better off doing this with breastmilk.

Remember that elimination is a 2-part process.  There is the elimination, then there is the challenge.  The elimination might or might not show signs of obvious improvement, which is why the challenge is so important.  Especially with nursing, you will want to eat *a lot* of the food to be challenged to produce (hopefully) a clear, strong response.  Direct consumption with food will produce a stronger reaction that receiving traces of it via breastmilk.

You might need to repeat the elimination; you might need to do a longer one.  Unfortunately there are no hard-and-fast answers to your questions about finding the culprit/s.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Also, I want to add...

Formula WILL make everything worse (except you can eat what you want at that point).  Formula in my opinion is a choice you make only when you haven't any breast milk... it really does aggravate the babies digestive tracts.

How old is your child?

This makes a HUGE difference. 

I have to go all of a sudden, will be back.

#6 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Okay, sorry for that curt reply... so maybe your child is reacting this way for another reason.  Is there a history here to look at other than your diet?  Do you have your children vaccinated?  Have they been given steroids or antibiotics?  do they suffer from other ailments (are they verbal)? 

If it is what you are eating, have you tried the GAPS Diet?  This is an increasingly popular way to eat if you have dietary, digestive, or bowel issues?  Maybe your child is a GAPS Kid?  It is very similar to what you describe you are eating like... except for the nuts, but nuts should be soaked before eating on the GAPS Diet. 

I don't know what TED means.

and I think you should follow your gut about the formula thing.

#7 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenlunatic View Post

I don't know what TED means.

Total Elimination Diet

It doesn't mean stop eating food, though it sounds that way (and maybe feels that way) but instead you eat 3 main foods, like turkey or lamb, sweet potatoes and rice or quinoa.  Sounds good in theory, but I am allergic to rice and lamb (both mild but noticeable and unpleasant) and am sensitive to sweet potato, so this one isn't perfect because you are assuming those foods aren't problematic.  But a lot of folks swear by it, as it can significantly cut down on the time it takes to find allergens and sensitivities.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page