Possible leaky gut vs allergy triggers... whats more important? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I apologize if I seem redundant here. I know I've posted many desperate questions:

DD has eczema. Shes 6mos and EBF. I have ZERO clue what her triggers are (internal/external)

I'm looking at dietary triggers now and, again, ZERO clue what it could be. I also think to myself sometimes, "do I have leaky gut?"

So, assuming my "gut leaks" and that she is allergic to something I am eating, what would be more important to start with, fixing my gut or determining triggers (I am planning a TED.. rice, turkey, squash, pear).??

PLEASE HELP ME.... (banging my head against wall... urgh!)

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If eczema is the only sign of an intolerance, I think a TED is pretty extreme because most eczema is not food related. (Yes, this is where 10 people come in to claim it WAS food for her child, but I digress.)

If you want to start trying to narrow it down I would do a detailed food log and see if there is any correlation to flairs of the eczema.  If not, I would start with dairy and soy.  If still nothing I would move onto those plus egg and gluten.  

TED's aren't exactly the healthiest diet so unless there are really signs of an allergy vs. an intolerance I wouldn't recommend it. 

As for leaky gut, Mom's gut flora does impact babies gut.  If you are letting through proteins it is possible that's part of the issue but again, it's seems to be usually and environmental issue.

#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

If eczema is the only sign of an intolerance, I think a TED is pretty extreme because most eczema is not food related. (Yes, this is where 10 people come in to claim it WAS food for her child, but I digress.)

If you want to start trying to narrow it down I would do a detailed food log and see if there is any correlation to flairs of the eczema.  If not, I would start with dairy and soy.  If still nothing I would move onto those plus egg and gluten.  

TED's aren't exactly the healthiest diet so unless there are really signs of an allergy vs. an intolerance I wouldn't recommend it. 

As for leaky gut, Mom's gut flora does impact babies gut.  If you are letting through proteins it is possible that's part of the issue but again, it's seems to be usually and environmental issue.

She has been tested for allergies which she does have a few.. IgE related, but the ones that came out negative, I still dont know if she reacts to (other immunoglobulins) so i dont know if these are delayed reactions. she was tested for dust mites and feathers, both of which are negative.  I've kept a food journal, but have no idea still.. noting where we've been, who she'd seen that day, what i ate, how extreme her itchiness was... etc, but i just cant figure it out! 

As far as laundry. I dont know what to switch to. we have free n clear all.  we have hard water so I cant use soap and dont wanna spring for a water softener if the soap doesnt help, so i'm kinda stuck there. any ideas with that?  I was told to wash her stuff in only hot water, but since her face contacts everything and we co-sleep, i almost feel like the entire house needs to do the same stuff and we cant wash EVERYONES clothes in no detergent, so, again, stuck.  

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

ps: if you've got any more ideas in this detective work, please bring them on! i've been trying hard to incorporate all the ideas other mamas have posted here.

#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What did she test IgE + for?  Are those out of your diet or was it environmental only?

We use Seventh Gen Free and Clear here for everyone. I've never had a problem with it nor have my kids.  DD has eczema but was fine for a long time using it before she started having issues and when we tried other things nothing changed.  She is dairy, egg, gluten, peanut and tree nut free and still has issues that didn't start till we moved. It has to be something here in the house.  We keep her well slathered and it controls it pretty well.

Sorry the food log isn't of much help.  I don't have any other suggestions :(  It's so tough to figure these things out!

Hang in there!

#6 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 AM

if you are thinking leaky gut, get the GAPS book.  i have come to the conclusion that it was much to complicated to just try to guess which foods might be a problem and eliminating them, only to find that we triggered more different allergies.  And I was hungry.  Now I am focused on healing my leaky gut instead of avoiding foods.....the GAPS info really rings true in my mind, and while it's not a cure all, I'm confident that it is going to alleviate many of my and my DS's symptoms. 

also, i love Crunchy Clean detergent...iuse the cloth diaper detergent on everything, since it's very basic.  http://www.crunchyclean.com/

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#7 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

What did she test IgE + for?  Are those out of your diet or was it environmental only?

We use Seventh Gen Free and Clear here for everyone. I've never had a problem with it nor have my kids.  DD has eczema but was fine for a long time using it before she started having issues and when we tried other things nothing changed.  She is dairy, egg, gluten, peanut and tree nut free and still has issues that didn't start till we moved. It has to be something here in the house.  We keep her well slathered and it controls it pretty well.

Sorry the food log isn't of much help.  I don't have any other suggestions :(  It's so tough to figure these things out!

Hang in there!

Her scratch test was positive for peanuts, walnuts, shellfish, strawberries, chocolate, eggs. Her acupuncturist told me to stay away from dairy, gluten and soy anyways because they can still show up in other types of allergies not tested for.

I recently switched to nellies laundry soda and I'm hoping it helps. How long before I would know. I imagine until everything has been washed a few times in it???

#8 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

if you are thinking leaky gut, get the GAPS book.  i have come to the conclusion that it was much to complicated to just try to guess which foods might be a problem and eliminating them, only to find that we triggered more different allergies.  And I was hungry.  Now I am focused on healing my leaky gut instead of avoiding foods.....the GAPS info really rings true in my mind, and while it's not a cure all, I'm confident that it is going to alleviate many of my and my DS's symptoms. 

also, i love Crunchy Clean detergent...iuse the cloth diaper detergent on everything, since it's very basic.  http://www.crunchyclean.com/

How did you trigger more? I've been on total elimination for five days now. She seems to be in a better mood but still itchy.

How would I know if I had leaky gut? I looked online and don't see any particular symptoms I myself associat with (tho I have been super gassy since starting probiotics and digestive enzymes two weeks ago. Is that normal?)

I guess if the TED shows no significant improvement than GAP is my next step. I just don't know if it would be safe to include seeds and dairy as I'd be so limited if I could not. Should I just try them in it and see. I still don't know if she reacts to those things.. Sigh

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page