What to Do with Food Allergy Test Results - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background: My almost 8yo ds is sensitive to dairy. When he was a baby/toddler, he had bad reflux and when he (or I) had dairy, it would cause him a lot of stomach pain. As he got older, we noticed that he could have dairy without any stomach issues, but it seemed to weaken his immune system slightly. When he would get a cold or sinus infection it would go to his chest and he couldn't kick it completely until we strictly eliminated dairy from his diet. I did an elimination diet and nothing else seemed to effect him. We also knew that he had environmental allergies which produced itchy, watery eyes, itchy throat, sniffling, sneezing, etc. He had a blood test when he was two and it showed no allergies of any kind. Fast forward to today. He had another blood test for allergies and it showed a 1 for wheat, 2 for peanut, 2 for all trees except Oak which is a 4, 2 for cat dander.

My question is about the wheat and peanut allergy: should I take both of those things out of his diet and see what happens? I was totally surprised by this data. He's never had any obvious symptoms to either thing. Is it better to be safe rather than sorry? I don't see signs of behavior or sleep issues...or learning issues. I dunno. I hate to make him (and us) go without these things for no reason, but I hate for him to have any issues down the line or whatever because I was too lazy to do anything.

Input? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What kind of blood test?  Was it a RAST? If so those results are only accurate 50% of the time.

What did your Dr. tell you to do?

Why was your DS tested?  Why for these specific things?  

Casting a wide net is not the best approach to diagnosing allergies.  Testing random things isn't the ideal because of the high false + rate.  

I would never pull anything from my kids diet based ONLY on testing.  It is far to inaccurate for that.  

#3 of 3 Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

What kind of blood test?  Was it a RAST? If so those results are only accurate 50% of the time.

I'm not sure, it was a blood test that shows the IGE? Under test name it says Immunoglobulin E, if that helps.

What did your Dr. tell you to do?

She had already prescribed a dairy-free probiotic, which we started him on. She told us to keep the windows closed. She then said we *could* eliminated wheat and peanuts for 3-4 weeks and see if we notice a difference in symptoms. This was all in written form, received with the lab results. So not much there, but, of course, I can call the office Monday.

Why was your DS tested?  Why for these specific things?  

I forgot to mention he also has an allergy to dogs - itchy eyes, throat. He has allergic shiners. Since he has that allergy and the dairy sensitivity/intolerance, and hasn't been tested since he was two, she wanted him to be tested again. He doesn't have any other issues that I'm aware of (SAHM, homeschooling).

Casting a wide net is not the best approach to diagnosing allergies.  Testing random things isn't the ideal because of the high false + rate.  

Good to know.

I would never pull anything from my kids diet based ONLY on testing.  It is far to inaccurate for that.  

So, what should my next step be?

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page