Need help! New diet and supplement ?s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope it's ok to join in here. My dd has always been allergic to dairy. She has gi upset, bloating, and eczema outbreaks. However, now we were told to avoid more foods due to the possibility that she is entering puberty early (she's only 8 1/2). So on top of dairy. We were told to avoid sugars, red meats, any non organic meats, gluten, and all fluorides (which we already don't use fluoride). I am so lost on what to make her. And what makes it even harder is I am in school a few days a week and I have a pretty unsupportive family in this area. The dairy they avoid for the most part but even a food that she truly has an intolerance to they will give her. She is really good about watching her food intake for dairy. And saying no when mac and cheese i a blue box is offered to her greensad.gif But she doesn't know all the hidden dairy ingredients in things nor do I expect her to yet. So knowing I have to limit further, I think my best bet is going to be cooking and baking in large batches for the days she is gone all day. I don't know where to start! What supplements can i give her? Dont alot have gluten in them? And to make things even harder i am on a limited budget right now as well.

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I am sorry for your difficulty.

Who exactly is telling you to avoid all these things?  Are you working with a board certified endocrinologist?  If, not, I would start there before doing a major diet overhaul.  Also, just a FYI, sounds like she suffers from an intolerance, not an actual allergy.  

#3 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM

I second scsigrl! I thought there was a pill that they give people who appear to be entering puberty too early. Definitely get a second opinion. Here is what I found and nothing about diet is mentioned. I am huge on diet "curing" people, but not in this case.

Quote from kidshealth org

"

1. treating the underlying cause or disease, such as a tumor
  2. lowering the high levels of sex hormones with medication to stop sexual development from progressing

In some cases, treatment of an underlying health problem can stop the precocious puberty from progressing. But in most cases, because there's no other disease triggering the condition, treatment usually consists of hormone therapy that stops sexual development."

Rice is your friend and can be bought cheaply in large quantities from some Indian or Asian grocery stores. Also, Costco and Sams Club carries it (but membership fee required).

Protein: See about canned Tuna or Salmon with a coupon when they are on sale. (Not recommended to eat Tuna in large quantities).

Coupons coupled with store sales on the coupon item brings your cost down more. Sometimes buying the smaller package with a coupon, especially if its on sale too, is cheaper than buying the "bulk" item.

Allergy vs. Intolerance: I don't know if I'd be comfortable sayng "intolerance" with eczema symptoms. Also, the same symptoms for "intolerance" can also be had in an "allergy". Lastly, some people (like me) have continued eating the "intolerant food" and found that it turned "anaphylaxis" without warnng - Chicken and Cinnamon, in my case.

#4 of 4 Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 AM

Just a heads up: Canned Fish and, especially Tuna, often contains Veggie broth, which contains more than the "Soy" listed in parenthesis. So, if there is reactions to: Beans, cabbage, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, parsley, peas, potatoes, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, spinach, or tomatoes - then may want to skip the canned fish.

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page