Food Sensitivities? Oversupply? Or just over-thinking it?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm not sure if my DD is actually having allergy/food sensitivity signs or if it's b/c of an oversupply of milk on my end. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it. Please give me your honest opinion :)

My DD is 2 mos old. She is exclusively breastfed. She spits up a ton. I know it's normal to spit up, but about once a day it's a HUGE amount. Like at least 1 cup worth. She does get fussy for a few days in a row, but not inconsolable. She is very gassy, sometimes really stinky but not all the time. She has horrible baby acne all over her forehead, cheeks, chin, ears and even onto her scalp and neck. It's now faded so that her skin is just sandpapery, but it actually looks like eczema (white patches) right by her earlobes. She has been having pooping issues, but I don't think that's related. She only goes once a week or so and it's really thick (but not mucousy). 

I've already cut dairy out of my diet but her symptoms are getting worse, not better. The gassiness is getting worse and the baby acne/rash isn't going away. It flares up when she cries and she's always rubbing her head back and forth on my shoulder. It seems like it itches her. 

DD1 has a bunch of food issues, so I'm not sure if I'm just projecting her issues onto DD2.

What does everyone think? Am I just paranoid? :P

TIA, Barbara

#2 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Sounds to me like it could be food related. Someone just reccomended to me the Yahoo group foodlab-it's really awesome. There are some very knowledgeable people on there that know all about food stuff and oversupply. Check it out if you haven't already :)  

Also, do you have any yeast issues? My DD had a bad rash/acne all over her forehead, cheeks, chin, ears, scalp, neck as well. It was from yeast. She also had terrible gas and tummy aches. We still struggle with it but we treat it with probiotic foods, kefir, epsom salt baths, (I did a lot of vinegar baths when it was bad), low sugar, anything to keep it in check. If that is the case, here is a great site for info on that: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/profiles/blogs/candida-101   Just be careful with detoxing yourself while breastfeeding-here is another link about that: http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/topics/mthfr-with-candidacatch-22?page=1&commentId=2814160%3AComment%3A7659&x=1#2814160Comment7659 (scroll down to Pat's post)

It could be a combo of both, my DD did not spit up at all. But, I avoided dairy and gluten from the beginning (took out more foods after several elimination diets). 

Good luck Mama! 

#3 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

First, are you sure the rash isn't a bad case of cradle cap?  It looks quite different than it does on the head and can spread down onto the torso and further, in that order.  Treat the scalp, and the rest of it clears up, if that is what it is.  And it is horrendously irritating.  

Just a thought, because this happened to me.  She did end up having allergies, but that doesn't mean they are related necessarily.

So, eliminate cradle cap as a possibility.

rachelleigh likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Yes! What my DD WAS cradle cap-it's yeast/fungal related. What worked for us was supplementing Biotin (I take it, she gets it through the milk- you can't take *too much*-you'll just pee out what you don't need. When you have an overgrowth of yeast, a lot of times it's related to high mercury in your system. The yeast sequesters the mercury *holding* it in your gut so it's not circulating around. This combo, for some reason, results in you not having enough biotin. That's why you don't want to detox yourself too much. Killing the yeast=releasing the mercury=mercury in your breast milk). I also used Bella B Gone Cradle Cap Shampoo. Her scalp and skin cleared up after this. I tried EVERYTHING for her cradle cap and that is what worked for us :) 

#5 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM

Oh and coconut oil helps too! You can rub it in her hair and on her face

#6 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies :)

First, I don't think it's cradle cap. It started on her face and went down. It also just went a little bit onto her scalp, but it's pimple-like bumps, not flakes like thought cradle cap was. DD1 had CC and it was big yellowish flakes all over her scalp. This doesn't look like that at all. Are there different kinds of CC??

Second, how do I know if she (or I) have too much yeast? DD2 does get some white stuff in the folds where her leg meets her torso (in dipe area, but not in her vagina at all; just in that one fold). She also gets a little bit of possibly the same white stuff under her arms. This appears only occasionally though. Is that yeast? I would think if she had too much yeast, there would be more signs. Am I wrong? Should I be looking for something else in/on her and myself??

And I checked out the link (thank you!), but honestly it's so overwhelming and confusing for me. I know about the food allergies and elim diets, but yeast and cleansing and mercury...it's too much! I may need someone to hold my hand if that's what we have to do :P 

Last question (for this post anyway, LOL)- is the yeast/mercury thing at all related to the 'healing your gut' posts I see on here?

Thanks, Barbara

#7 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnone View Post

Thanks for all the replies :)

First, I don't think it's cradle cap. It started on her face and went down. It also just went a little bit onto her scalp, but it's pimple-like bumps, not flakes like thought cradle cap was. DD1 had CC and it was big yellowish flakes all over her scalp. This doesn't look like that at all. Are there different kinds of CC??

No, but it looks different on the body, without the piles of yellow gunk that the scalp gets.  The main visible difference between cradle cap on the body (which is really just plain old seborrheic dermatitis) and baby acne is that cradle cap doesn't have the yellow-capped , pimple look for the most part, just angry little red bumps all over.  (It might look different in other cases, this was my experience and that of my friend's.)  Still, very much like the acne we had as teenagers.  And yes, it starts from the top and slowly works its way down the body, but for some weird reason treating the scalp takes care of the whole shebang.

I'm not necessarily saying that is what you are seeing is cradle cap, it's just that most people don't realize it can move to other parts of the body and that it might look a bit different.  I mention it because what you subscribe sounds suspiciously like this and it is an easy fix.  Good to check for these kinds things before embarking on something more mysterious and complex.

#8 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 AM

I know, it's a lot and so overwhelming :( I will hold your hand!

My daughter's cradle cap was pimple like bumps everywhere but her scalp-that is where it was flaky. It could still be a fungal/yeast rash without the flakes on the scalp. Try coconut oil on it and see if that helps, if so, it's probably yeast. (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Organic-Coconut-Ounce/dp/B003B3OOPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333985068&sr=8-1)

I'm not sure if the white stuff in folds is yeast, my DD had that in her armpits and sometimes in her vagina folds. Some signs of yeast are the pimply rash, eczema, gas and bloating, ibs, acid reflux, indegestion, nausea, white coating on tongue, abdominal pain, food sensitivities. Do you have pain in your breasts, itchy, shiny, light pink or cracked nipples? Those could be a sign of thrush/yeast. Any antibiotics taken recently or in the past? Were you ever on birth control? This contribute to excess yeast.

If this were me, after everything I have learned with my DD (14mo) this is what I would do:

1. Continue with elimination diets (I personally never did more that 2-3 foods at a time-I  

didn't want any nutrient deficiencies while breastfeeding)

2. Follow a modified version of Heal Thyself's steps for a healthy gut. Yes, it is related to  

healing your gut. Yeast or not-these steps will help everyone! 

MODIFIED VERSION:

1. homemade bone broth. every day. 1 cup. You can use any bones-preferably from

grass fed or pastured animals. (My sister uses leftover chicken wing bones)

2. homemade kefir. every day. 1 cup (gradually work up). 

I make dairy free juice kefir. Here is how you do it.

1. Buy milk keifer grains
                                  2. Buy any juice you want, Grape works best (organic if possible)

3. Dump a little juice out and put grains in juice
                                  4. Store in a cupboard (dark, room-temp place)
                                  5. Twist cap open often to let the air out (The keifer grains eat the

sugar causing carbonation, the more sugar in the juice, the                                                                                                             

more bubbles are created. Be careful b/c it could explode. 
                                  6. Keep it in the cupboard for 24-72 hours, then strain out keifer

grains. 
                                  7. Store in fridge and drink a glass every day

*You could also use the same grains and make breast milk kefir for baby. Follow same steps but with breast milk instead of juice. 

3. green smoothie. every day. I use frozen spinach, berries, 1 banana and the juice

kefir I made.

4. Vitamin D3 for mommy and baby (follow this for dosage for you. follow the bottle for

dosage for baby-may give it every other day depending on weight)

5. Bubbies sauerkraut or dill pickles. 1 tbls every day. (or other raw fermented food).

They sell this at a local health food store. Where do you live? I can find it for you

6. Real food multi-vitamin WITHOUT Iron (iron can upset little bellies)- like

Rainbow Light or Alive!

7. Epsom salt baths (for baby and you) 1 cup in a tub of water 3x per week for 20

minutes (great for detox)

8. Raw Local Honey-1 tbls at bedtime (helps bifidium bacteria to grow in the gut)

9. 1 egg yolk per day, cooked in coconut oil. 

10. Fish Oil for Omega 3s. Something like this

***The goal is to balance your gut rather than attacking yeast/bad bacteria. Stay away from detoxers like cilantro, kombucha, nettles, chlorella, spirulina, etc. (b/c mercury thing)

3. Use coconut oil topically on baby for rash. 

Take it 1 step at a time. It's a lot! I would say the Kefir is my favorite thing, D3, then probiotic foods. 

Please don't hesitate to ask ANY questions at all!!! I am here for you and can look up anything you need me to. My DD is older now so I have the time and clear head space! I remember how HARD it was for me when she was 2mo... (((hugs)))!

#9 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM

I just read your other thread about poop. I think, to start, the best thing you could do for her would be the pumped breast milk kefir ^ and elimination diet 

#10 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelleigh View Post

I just read your other thread about poop. I think, to start, the best thing you could do for her would be the pumped breast milk kefir ^ and elimination diet 

Wow! Thanks so much. This is all so helpful. I don't think it's cradle cap. It's really more pimple-like rather than just red bumps. And she has no flakes in her hair at all. Just some of the pimples scattered here and there. And it seems to be drying out- like I said, her face is kind of sandpapery :( Some of the pimples even look like they have little tiny scabs at the top, just like zits can get. 

As for the yeast, it looks as though most of the s/sx are the same as food allergies! That doesn't make it easy. I don't have any itching or shiny, cracked nipples. They are a little pink, but I think that's just normal w/o those other signs. And the baby has a little bit of white on her tongue, but really just after she eats. It doesn't appear to be thrush- no other white patches in the mouth. No abx for me in the past two years (I'm allergic to most of them so don't take them usually) and I was on BCPs, but that was 6 years ago. 

I'll try the coconut oil on the rash. that sounds like a good (and quicker) way to tell if it's yeast or food related than an elim diet. And don't you think it's weird that her poop is thick like peanut butter half the time? She has gone more often since my original poop post, but half the time she goes it's still really thick. I just think it's so strange that an EBF baby has such thick poop!

#11 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM

I know, the s/sx are very similar. Yeast isn't always so in your face either. I think yeast and food stuff go hand in hand. When your gut is messed up everything is out of balance. So, my philosophy is instead of fighting a certain "sickness", work to support our bodies for overall wellness. So, doing those steps and eliminating foods that bug our systems. 

We still have yeast in our systems. My DD has a few scales in her hair always, breaks out in pimples here and there (mostly on her cheeks or forehead), has dry skin/eczema behind her ears and her cheeks are kinda sandpapery too! I can tell if I am eating more sugar (I try not to) our yeast flares up. So, we just try to keep the flare ups to a minimum by following the steps ^

I'm glad she is pooping more!!!! <3 Her poop really makes me think food thing, but you are her Mama, trust your gut! You know all about the food stuff too!!! 

Even though this is a formula website, I really like this chart. It has great pics of pooh! haha

One more thing, I purchased "the best" over $100 per bottle probiotics before I *knew better* and I WISH I had purchased kefir grains and made my girl bm kefir sooner!! Now she does juice kefir b/c I can't pump much at all (but it would have been amazing to have as a newborn!).

#12 of 19 Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just today noticed she does have cradle cap. Not a ton but an area on the crown of her head (that's where she has the most hair) with whitish flakes. They aren't huge or yellow. Can I put the coconut oil in her hair to get it out? I used EEVO on DD1 and that worked well. 

But, I noticed the baby acne/rash on her face FIRST. If the rash on her face was cradle cap, wouldn't it have started in her hair first??

#13 of 19 Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM

You'd think!  But the yellowish flakes start *after* the cradle cap has reached a certain intensity.  (It's entirely possible to not see the flakes until the bumps spread onto the face and neck.)  Many kids never make it past the yellow patch (often not flakes at all, just hardened-oily patches) stage.  It never seems to bug them and eventually they grow out of it.  This kind of cradle cap can just be treated with oil to soften and lift them off the scalp, but oftentimes there is just no real need if it's not bothering them.

Then there is the cradle cap the other kids get.  Or maybe it's not exactly, I'm not sure if what I described above is technically cradle cap at all.  Seborrheic dermatitis (yes, the same term as for adults) like my daughter had is irritating to varying degrees and the bumps spread down the forehead, neck and chin, eventually in some cases to the torso and beyond.  The yellow gunk behind the ears is part of this.  When it gets angry and spreads like this, I'm not sure what all the treatment options are.  I used Neutrogena's product at the time, and it worked like a charm.  Probably not the most natural remedy.  She was so miserable, though and I was glad to see it gone.

#14 of 19 Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

I tried the olive oil thing but it was just messy and annoying. What works best for me is supplementing Biotin and using http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Curve-Gone-Cradle-Shampoo/dp/tech-data/B004L5LGQM

I bet the coconut oil would work too since it's a fungal thing :)

#15 of 19 Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! You girls are the best!!

Here's our latest. I went ahead w/ the elim diet and today is Day 5. DD's face looks SO much better! It still has some rough patches on her forehead and cheeks, but it seems to be clearing up. The redness is basically gone (unless she's rubbing against my shoulder). If it were cradle cap, would it come and go like that? Would it clear up w/o any treatment?? I'm just trying to figure out if it cleared up b/c I stopped whatever food was bothering her or if it still could be yeast/cradle cap and they are totally not related. :P

She seems to be spitting up less, but I don't want to make that conclusion until at least 10 days have gone by without any huge, sitting in a puddle, spit ups have occurred. 

But, she is sleeping less at night (sigh). She's waking up at least every 2 hrs and before I started the elim diet, she was sleeping a good 4 hour stretch at night. Maybe not related, but I did read on Dr. Sears' website that nightwaking could pick up for a bit (just wasn't sure if that applied to 2 mos olds?). 

#16 of 19 Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM

That's fantastic!!! I'm so glad she is doing better!!!! Are you doing the crazy Dr. Sears Elim diet? Like just eating rice and turkey!?!?

Did you put any coconut oil or anything on her face for the rash? Yeast rashes/cradle cap will clear up on their own but it usually takes a LONG time. And they can come and go (like when the yeast flares up). For example, my DD had a tiny bit of a red butt diaper rash last week, I put coconut oil on it at every change and it was gone in 2 days. BUT, it was not severe yet. I just knew what it was from (yeast flare up from too much Easter candy!).

IDK anything about the sleep stuff... my kid is a TERRIBLE sleeper. My sister's son (who has 15+ food sensitivities has sleep disturbances when he eats a "bad" food). I have also heard that with Elim Diets things can get slightly worse before they get better OR get better first then get bad again and then get better again. That's why they say 3 weeks off the food then wait about 4 days between each re-intro to check for reactions. 

I'm so happy she is better :) I've learned not to freak out too much about the yeast and follow what I have learned from the Elim Diets. I just try to follow those steps and be as healthy as we can without going *too* crazy ;)

#17 of 19 Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnone View Post

If it were cradle cap, would it come and go like that? Would it clear up w/o any treatment?? I'm just trying to figure out if it cleared up b/c I stopped whatever food was bothering her or if it still could be yeast/cradle cap and they are totally not related. :P

I would never say absolutely positively yes or no, but I would assume that cradle cap would not clear up so easily that fast.  So, I would assume it is the food.  

That said, the elimination is the first half of the trial.   After you given it a good while, you might want to do a challenge.  At some point anyway.  It's great if these things clear up after eliminating a food.  Food sensitivities change at this age, though, and a challenge at some point would let you know more positively if the food was affecting her.  Or if it did and a stretch of time has passed, then you challenge to see if her reaction has changed; you might be able to reintroduce it at some point.

#18 of 19 Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I did not put coconut oil or anything on her face. She does still have that little bit of flakes in her hair at the crown of her head. But her face does look much better :)

And, yes, I'm doing the crazy Dr. Sears' elim diet. I'm eating chicken, rice, apples, carrots, and olive oil. I did the same one w/ DD1. I started just eliminating one food at a time w/ DD1 and it just took forever. To me, this seems the quicker way to tell if it's food or not. I'm going to give it another week I think before I start adding foods back in. I won't challenge the most likely culprits (like dairy, soy, and wheat) for a while. 

After all of this, I'm beginning to wonder if DD1 has yeast issues. She has flakes in her hair, but they look more like dandruff. She did have cradle cap as a baby but it totally cleared up then returned at age 3. She's 4 now! But it doesn't seem to bother her and neither does the rash she gets on her belly (not red, just raised like goose bumps). So I have to remind myself not to get too crazy about all of this. LOL

I actually got 4 solid hours of sleep last night!! Yay!! My early bday present from the baby :)

#19 of 19 Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Woo Hoo! 4 hours!!! Haha. These babies.Props to you for doing that elimination diet!!!! I mostly did rotation diets with my girl and it is hard! Those are some lucky little girls you have to have such a great Mama! Happy Birthday (soon) :) 

Yes, try not to get too crazy about the yeast stuff. Everyone has yeast, just some of us have a bit of an imbalance. And, I think, that we can control that by balancing out our guts with "good" bacteria :) No dramatic interventions/drugs needed IMO. 

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page