I'm a bit confused by an event today and am looking for some advice from other Mamas that have been there.
A little background : We have a 21 month old boy who has what we suspect is a leaky gut. He cannot digest some fruits and veggies. Has never had a problem with raw dairy, meat, butter, or eggs. When he's given grains after about a week or so he'll get sick, sometimes just a runny nose, in the past, prior to diet changes it would be a virus with a high fever. He also has Early Childhood Cavities stemming from his gut issues. A month ago we made some changes in his diet, added some great supplements and his teeth are already getting better, plus he's gained 2 pounds in 4 weeks and has become an extremely talkative outgoing little boy.
Today we had an incident with fruit. He's always loved strawberries. Unfortunately, they come out in pieces in his diaper, so he has trouble digesting them. Saturday my husband brought home a bunch, and little guy ate A BUNCH. Next day he had funny poop and diaper rash. He had a a few more on Sunday. None Monday or Tuesday. Three Wednesday evening (last night, from a different store ) and a kiwi, a few this afternoon. He's breastfed and I also had some. This evening he asked for another one and I washed it and gave it to him and he ate it. I peeled a kiwi and gave that to him right after he finished the strawberry. The child will normally eat a kiwi very quickly, but I noticed he took his first night gingerly. About a minute later he started saying "Mommy, mouth! Mouth!". I thought he bit his tongue, so I kissed him and went about my business. He kept saying it and started rubbing all around his mouth and was putting his hand in his mouth. I looked closer and saw a rash had formed all around his mouth, tiny little raised red bumps. It was also starting to form under one of his eyes, but faintly. I pulled back his lower lip and saw the same bumps all inside his lip. I gave him some Benadryl and fairly soon it got much better and almost went away. We've never seen anything like this with him before.
So ladies, do you think this is a true allergic reaction or a contact dermatitis thing? In your experience, do little ones who have allergies to strawberries have allergies to other things too? Allergy testing really isn't an option for us right now. Our insurance is major medical only and our budget very tight.
The way I understand it, if Benadryl makes it go away, you have confirmation that it was an allergic reaction. If you can't do testing right now, you could try avoiding strawberries for two+ weeks, and if he stays rash-free try a small amount as a challenge.
What she said.
The current line for allergic reactions for fruits is that it is a "cross reaction" and connected to another allergen that the body mistakes the fruit for. Who knows if this theory will stand up to the course of decades and remain the accepted truth? Allergies are poorly understood in many ways. IgE responses are supposed to be against proteins in food, pollen and spores, yet fruit has very little protein, so how can people get reactions? Well, cross reactions, of course. I'll buy it for now, but it still seems like an incomplete theory to me.
Well, that said, I don't know the complimentary allergen for strawberries. (Blueberries is ragweed pollen). But I do know that strawberry and kiwi reactions very often go hand in hand. I think they must have very similar constituents.
"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
|38 members and 15,553 guests|
|a-sorta-fairytale , Alexa2015 , anisaer , annanyc , bananabee , BirthFree , Daffodil , Deborah , Dovenoir , Erica Sandwall , floss&ferd , gizzypeach , heyxxmcfly , Hopeful2017 , joycef , judybean , kathymuggle , LiLStar , LoveDiva , Lucee , MDoc , Michele123 , Mirzam , mjkirch , moominmamma , NaturallyKait , notnever , perspective , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , shantimama , Skippy918 , sollicitus , Springshowers , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|