Pet allergies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We just recently discovered DD2 (5) is allergic to cats. We did skin testing, she came up allergic to other things as well. We have two indoor cats, and have had them since before she was born. We also just returned tonight from a 2.5 week trip away where there were no animals at all that she was in contact. Within minutes of walking back into our house, her eyes were itchy and she was sneezing and complaining she didn't feel well. Her not feeling well is why we tested. We have more allergy appointments next week trying to figure what to do. Any advice, suggestion, BTDT? 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We had 3 cats tht we chose to rehome. Allergies have a "full bucket" type thing. So each thing you add fills the ucket and when it's full you get a sick kid. Because of the long list my son had, we thought that would be best for him.

It was a really tough decision but our sons health was on the line.
#3 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Sigh. That is exactly what I am afraid of. One animal is my older DD's and he is very much like a therapy animal to her. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Sometimes the number of cats can make a difference.  Definitely, finding homes for all the cats is ideal.  But if there is a big attachment you might think of trying life with one.  Vacuum with a HEPA filter vacuum, including the couch every week.  Keep the cats out of the bedroom.  Wall-to-wall carpets are an allergic person's nightmare.  Air out the house.  It is a lot of work, and maybe it won't make a difference or be worth the effort.  But it is one possibility.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 6 Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you are interested in trying an antihistamine ask your childs doctor about Zyrtec. I tried several others prior to a health professional telling me Zyrtec is the best for pet allergies and outdoor allergies. My daughter had severe episodes to dogs with face puffiness, itching eyes, night coughing, eczema ect since birth. We also found out she is allergic to cats and highly allergic to tree pollen, which animals can track inside during the spring, and we have one big black furry cat. She has been doing very well on Zyrtec without any side effects. It did take a few months to get the full effect but she no longer has any symptoms, and her skin is clearer than I have ever seen it. She is very good about washing her hands any time she is around animals. As long as she does okay I am going to keep the one cat as they already lost one of their pets this last year.

#6 of 6 Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

zyrtec also worked well for my daughter with no side effects(no drowsiness, no hyperness, no change in behavior or thinking, nothing! she was 10 so old enough to tell me) she is allergic to cats to the point of reacting to being in contact with a cat owner, but not deathly allergic. it takes at least a week of taking it for it to work smoothly. now at age 15 she just deals with it with no pills usually, but occasionally she takes a benedryl, like if she is spending the night with cat people and it gets too bad. i HATED the idea of a kid taking a pill everyday! but it had gotten so bad and we hadn't figured out her triggers yet. we had a cat, but her allergies were bad at other people's houses and during the spring. i don't know why our cat wasn't so bad but other cats turn her eyes purple and she gets snotty and itchy lol

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page