The Breakfast Game - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

The reason: I need to challenge wheat (simple allergy possible, not Celiac).  This is not going to be easy, as you'll see.  To keep this simple we''ll skip the details.

The restrictions: (all have been challenged and confirmed):  No oats or other cereal grains; no soy, peas, lentils;  no peanuts, no tree nuts*; no eggs; no shellfish; no tuna or catfish; no mushrooms.

Limited:  Garlic, ginger, peppers, dairy, *pecan, coconut

Yes, these are allowed: all meats, other fish, fruits and veggies, yeasts, quinoa

Also, just to make this more fun, I won't bother with likes and dislikes, and this is for an adult.  

Help me brainstorm some really great breakfasts!

I'll start with...... fried leftover potatoes.  With salmon?  Like a hash?  Other ideas for a potato-based breakfast?

What else can we think of?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Pancakes

Waffels

Cream of Wheat 

#3 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quinoa granola? Maybe you could sub for or leave it anything you can't eat?

http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/quinoa-granola/
#4 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Hold on, you aren't trying wheat, you are trying NO wheat?  I was confused by your post.  sorry.

#5 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Quinoa granola? Maybe you could sub for or leave it anything you can't eat?
http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/quinoa-granola/

Do they make quinoa flakes sturdy enough?  Sounds good! Then I checked the recipe.  Can't have oats.  That's my most severe allergy.  :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Hold on, you aren't trying wheat, you are trying NO wheat?  I was confused by your post.  sorry.

Sorry, I did say "challenge".  I meant to say eliminate, then challenge.  

#6 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Right, I was wondering if you could just leave then out or sub something else.
#7 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Like extra nuts or another dried fruit or something.
#8 of 26 Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Like extra nuts or another dried fruit or something.

Yeah, this game is harder than it seems.  No nuts.  But, that's the point of it.  What can someone who can't have oats or nuts (a handful of pecans now and then), is trialing wheat and can't have other cereal grains, what can one do to make some granola?  It could be a lost cause.

Onto something else?  Maybe just whole quinoa or buckwheat groats into a pudding of some kind?

#9 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Bacon/sausage and fruit is what I have most days (and coffee cause that's a must ;) )

This is for you, correct?  Not the kiddos?  If it's you, you have a little more room to maneuver.  Kids can be tricky little buggers ;)

One thing I try and remember is that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food.  It's just a meal you eat in the morning.  When I was pregnant I did a lot of more lunch type things with more protein because if I didn't I would go all crazy wonky.  

#10 of 26 Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

For me, yes.  And for ease, I've even left out things I dislike because that would just make this too nitpicky.

Sausage and fruit sounds good.  Breakfast can be anything, but it needs to be pretty quick.  I understand that stir-fried rice is a breakfast dish.  Well rice is out of the question.  I avoid soy sauce as much as possible.  Has anyone ever tried stir-frying quinoa?  I remember brown rice makes the dish greasy.  I guess it doesn't soak up the grease as nicely as white rice.  That's a lot of my trouble-- I've become used to having, say, leftovers with a fried egg.  And yes, I've grown to like protein in the morning now, too. 

#11 of 26 Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh.  Here we go.  Elimination starts today.  Aak!  I'm going to work and I have no idea what I'm going to pack for lunch!

Maybe I should have called this thread "pack your lunch...... with what?"

I have to be careful not to overdo the dairy.  I already overdo dairy because there is NOTHING LEFT TO EAT!  Meat and veggies.  Hey!  That's a fad right now!  Thankfully, I don't think wheat is a big one or I would have heard it loud and clear.  It was an anomaly on the test-- the one cereal with no reaction.  Great!  I thought.  True enough, I don't get reactions like I do to the other cereals, but I have ran up against other anomalies from the test, and with some suspect reactions I've had I need to pin this down.  I don't think it will be on my "avoid at all costs" list, but, like dairy, I need to clear my body so I can find my limits, if I need any, and I think now that I do need some.  Also, this year my body just starts heating up with the weight of all the pollen in the air.  I'm tired.  My skin is red and hot, like I have a perpetual sunburn, even on my belly which hasn't seen the light of day since I was running naked as a 5yo.  I react to every little thing this time of year.  later, the grass starts blooming and everything fades into the background except that.  I suppose I should be thankful I don't have life-threatening allergies (though chronic inflammation is linked to heart disease).

Anyhow.... I had yogurt and mango for breakfast with coffee.  Not really filling, but I can have second breakfast soon.

Now, what for that lunch I need to take to work with me?

#12 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is rice out? Otherwise, I was thinking a rice pudding? Tapioca pudding?
Fruit smoothie with bacon/ sausage
Fried mash potato patties w/ a meat
Muffins made with a ground coconut flour, rice flour, arrowroot flour etc. I'd check out some gf muffin recipes.
Sweet potato pie with a pecan crust?...or no crust?
I suppose corn is out....
Buckwheat groats...? eat.gif Poor you....

Lunches...I would be making a lot of soups to take with me.....hamburger soup? Fish soup? Roasted veggie soup?
Tzatiki with veggies for dip, rice cake
Coleslaw with a side of ham?
Salad with tuna
I would definitely be making up a huge batch of quinoa salad and packing that. That is my favorite way to eat quinoa, and it would keep in the fridge for a couple of days and is very satisfying.

Good luck!
#13 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You can do buckwheat? We get a pancake mix with it but I think it has rice... Bob's Red Mill has just flour but says it is manufactured on same line as tree nuts and soy, so that may not work. Grind your own???

Love e.d.s nut.gif...my 3yodd is getting cheese and a pear for supper. I had to wean her earlier than I wanted just so I could get enough to eat this pregnancy.

#14 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Love e.d.s nut.gif

Yeah, this is how I feel!  I haven't been down this road for 3 years.  It was really rough the first time.   And I am eating too much dairy!  I get hungry and don't know what else to eat.  I have to be on this long enough just to get out of the habit of eating things I know are going to set me off!

I did think about buckwheat pancakes.  Maybe mixed with quinoa flour?  I've tried blini and 100% buckwheat flour is an acquired taste, even for someone who loves buckwheat normally.  I can get buckwheat flour in bulk.  They would have to be made with flaxseed meal and be more like crepes.  (Ooooh rolled around whipped cream!)  aaak!  More dairy.... not good!  But with some fruit on top, like strawberries and drizzled with maple syrup.....

Quinoa salad sounds really, really good.  Maybe with black beans?  Shallots and a little teeny tiny bit of red pepper?  I forgot that olives/olive oil are on the  "limits" list, but that's easy to leave out, I just love olives and this salad sounds really good with just a few salt-cured or Greek olives.  And parboiled green beans when those come into season.  Or perhaps a Persian-type pilaf with dried fruit......

I do need to get out of the quinoa rut a bit before I get weary.  Today was sausage/leek/quinoa and I had a salad with raisins, grapefruit and some blue cheese (aack!  more dairy!  But really, really good!)  Oh, and chocolate and more coffee.   I couldn't do any of this without the coffee.

#15 of 26 Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 PM

I love adding roasted cauliflower and roasted sweet potato (and cilantro) to my quinoa salad. It imparts a nutty flavor without the nuts!

So is rice nay or yay? White rice bad brown rice good???
#16 of 26 Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three~Little~Birds View Post

I love adding roasted cauliflower and roasted sweet potato (and cilantro) to my quinoa salad. It imparts a nutty flavor without the nuts!
So is rice nay or yay? White rice bad brown rice good???

Rice: nay.  All of it.  The only cereal grain I haven't trialed (or tested for) is barley.  I've had some good barley risotto, but being the only one in the house who likes it I haven't ventured that direction.  Now I'm hungry and I'm thinking about it!  Wild rice is also out.  It is actually a wild oat and oats are severe.  I know that's not necessarily a given, but oats are so bad that I'm hesitant to try.

Roasted cauliflower sounds delicious.  Do you use curry with it?  Tell me how you roast it....

#17 of 26 Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Roasted cauliflower sounds delicious.  Do you use curry with it?  Tell me how you roast it....

I lightly toss it with olive oil ( sorry!) and sea salt, put it in a roasting pan in an oven of about 375-400. I periodically stir it. I am going to guess that it takes approx. 30 -40 min., but don't quote me on that part. What you are looking for is for the cauliflower to get really brown and caramelized. You almost want it over- cooked. It is delicious.

What about making a chicken stock and soup with for the barley. My family will eat barley that way, even though they won't eat it any other way. It makes for a hearty meal.

Good luck!
#18 of 26 Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Olive oil is easy to substitute in cooking, but nothing is quite as delicious on bread.  That barley soup does sound good to me.  I think my daughter is OK with barley allergy-wise and it would be worth giving it a try.  I always have loved it, but not dh.

#19 of 26 Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM

You said no cereal grains but then you're talking about buckwheat and quinoa...could you do teff? That could add some variety. My husband thinks cooked up like a cereal teff tastes like grits.

My son has gaucamole and teff crackers with his breakfast sometimes. He eats Sunbutter too. We don't limit breakfast to breakfast foods and I'd sort of get out of that mindset with your restrictions list.

If you have that many allergies/intolerances and/or you're trying to pinpoint actual reactions I wonder if a rotation diet might help?

What are your tree nut allergies? Any anaphylaxis? My son is tree nut anaphylactic and pistachio and cashew share a protein with mango. If you have multiple tree allergies I'd be careful with mango.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#20 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

You said no cereal grains but then you're talking about buckwheat and quinoa...could you do teff? That could add some variety. My husband thinks cooked up like a cereal teff tastes like grits.
My son has gaucamole and teff crackers with his breakfast sometimes. He eats Sunbutter too. We don't limit breakfast to breakfast foods and I'd sort of get out of that mindset with your restrictions list.
If you have that many allergies/intolerances and/or you're trying to pinpoint actual reactions I wonder if a rotation diet might help?
What are your tree nut allergies? Any anaphylaxis? My son is tree nut anaphylactic and pistachio and cashew share a protein with mango. If you have multiple tree allergies I'd be careful with mango.

I could try teff, for variety.  Are the teff crackers homemade?  If so, I would love a recipe, or let me know where to buy them.  Your son's snack sounds really good right now.  I am really missing something crunchy and salty and potato chips, however yummy, just can't replace grain.  Sunflower seeds and pepitas seem to be good.  I can fry up the sunflower seeds and salt them.  Yum!  Fried pepitas are too rich.  

The allergies listed are confirmed. There is no anaphylaxis, thankfully.  With a few exceptions, most are pretty mild and simply avoided because of the sheer weight was making me miserable, and I just didn't realize food was the cause.  The others cause really bad reactions, but nothing life threatening.  Mango can give me tinglies in the mouth, but no swelling or anything.  So I eat mango now and then.  Haven't trialled cashew, which tested positive, but have pistachio and unfortunately the test was correct here.  A few results--anomalies-- I do wonder about, and one of them was wheat. No reaction in a sea of high cereal numbers.  Same with black walnut.  Need to give that one a try.  Hazelnut numbers were somewhat low, but my reaction is really bad.  I've gone through this enough that I know my limits on some things, and know to completely avoid others.  

Today I am making some bean and kale soup because when I need something quick to eat.  I keep reaching for the dairy for a quick meal, like last night after a long day's work, and I went to bed with my belly groaning and rumbling.  I can't challenge the wheat until my digestion feels normal, so maybe I should just ditch dairy for a couple of days prior.  Part of this challenge is the challenge of predicting what I'll need in the fridge, and to have it there.  So I sit here waiting until I'm hungry enough for breakfast because there is simply nothing to just cook up and eat that is fast.  Not even soup.  There's yogurt, which I'll probably end up eating, and hoping tomorrow's fridge looks more palatable after a day of cooking.

#21 of 26 Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Hope these ideas help you out. My own website (no link) doesn't have Breakfast ideas on it yet, but your question told me that I need to remedy this immediately. I'm redoing my website, so the timing is perfect. Thanks for your question!  eat.gif joy.gif

Ideas:

Quinoa Muffins (recipe to try, below)

Quinoa or Amaranth cooked. Amaranth can get creamier if more liquid is used.

Milk: Make a shake out of Organic:  1/4 Cup Mashed Potatoes, 1/8 Cup finely chopped Raw Broccoli (calcium), 1 Banana, 1/4 Cup Fave Frozen Fruit.

1/2 Cup Cold Water (Any Vegetable and Fruit combination can be used. Organic Celery will make it taste Salty, so be forewarned!)

Scrambler Recipe:

Cook 1/2 Cup Quinoa  according to package directions.

Steam cook: Organic - 1/4 cup Broccoli or 1/4 cup Cauliflower, 1/4 cup Spinach, 1 leg of destringed Organic Celery, chopped finely

In a Saute pan: Add in 1 TB Organic Light Olive Oil, the Quinoa and the Vegetables.

Add in 1 tsp Organic Sweet Basil, 1 tsp Organic Rosemary and if allowed, Tellicherry Blackpepper to taste (Pepper can refer to Bell peppers, hot peppers or blackpepper).

Veggies: Buy Salt free, Organic. Salt can contain corn product. Kosher Sea Salt is still considered Corn free, as far as I know.

Try this... you may have to play around with it. I heavily modified someone elses recipe to avoid all cereal family grains and wrote my own instructions.

Quinoa Muffins

Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)

1 Cups Quinoa Flakes
1/2 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1/2 Cup Potato Starch
1/2 Cup Tapioca Starch or Flour
1 tsp. Featherweight® or Hain® Baking Powder (Corn free)
(or use 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar and 1/4 tsp Baking soda)
1 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp Kosher Sea Salt
Mix these together with a whisk.

1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup Mashed Potatoe
1 medium banana, mashed
Blend together.

1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Tapioca or Potato Starch
2 TB warm water
Mix together. Add to wet ingredients.
Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time.
Beat well, until free of lumps and smooth.
You want a thick batter.

Optional:
1/2 cup Organic Dried Fruits
Mix in well.

Pour into muffin cups.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.

(The Original from http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/07/quinoa-muffins-with-pecans-dark.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FMVjL+%28Gluten-Free+Goddess%29)

#22 of 26 Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM

Teff is part of the Cereal Family. Buckwheat is part of the Buckwheat family. Quinoa and Amaranth is now considered apart of the Amaranth family, but some still put it with the Goosefoot family. They moved to the other family because the medical community found that those allergic to the Goosefoot family was not reacting to Amaranth.

#23 of 26 Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting--mashed potato and banana both in a muffin recipe..... intriguing.  I'll have to give the idea a try.  Thanks for the recipe.

AlergkVegtarian likes this.

#24 of 26 Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM

Fresh cut fruit and veggies seems the easiest to grab and eat. I'm a big fan of roasted or steamed veggies with a little sea salt and or herbs. Can you have herbs?  What fruits and veggies can you have?

Here are some suggestions:

-crust-free quiche with ingredients of your choice anything from ham, cheese, veggies of your choice, shallots, etc.

-Tomatoes with balsamic, oil (not sure which kind) and red onion

-Chickpeas, cucumber, shallots, fresh dill, grape tomatoes halved and yogurt with ranch seasoning or ranch dressing

-Snap peas, summer squash, carrots with a citrus and herb seasoning

-baked sweet potato with cinnamon and a little agave nectar (maybe some butter)

-baked potato with ANYTHING YOU LIKE - butter, sour cream & chives, broc & cheese, sea salt, olive oil and parsley or basil, etc.

-turkey sausage or regular pre-cooked sausage with egg or fruit

-pancakes, waffles, biscuits - there are many recipes out there that are gluten free and even rice and soy free.  I can eat rice so I whip up a batch of Bisquick's gluten free pancakes and freeze them.  When we want one, I pop it in the toaster or Mic for a few seconds. How are you with almonds?  This recipe has almonds in it: http://www.choosingraw.com/vegan-protein-pancakes-gluten-free-soy-free-and-tasty/ 

They also have many different kinds of breads out there these days.  i bought one recently made with tapioca flour as one main ingredient.  We found that in the health food section of our grocery store.  Even if the store bought stuff might have an ingredient in it that is a no no for you, maybe you can search a similar more compatible recipe on the web and make a few batches, freeze it and do the many things with it that you can do with bread.  

There are so many ways to mix and match veggies, herbs, spices, fruits, etc.  There are a number of different salads you can prepare in a big dish and just take from throughout the week for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.  I could keep giving you different suggestions but my tastes may be different from yours and all I do to find something new for myself is search the web, grocery store, and ask friends for their recipes when I like something they've made.

I hope this helps.

#25 of 26 Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

I have specifically avoided adding my personal preferences to this because the list of "no's" is already so hard.  Also, it keeps the thread, hopefully, relevant to others who might be in the same situation as I am in.

Your suggestions are fabulous, especially that chickpea salad.  I keep meaning to replenish our supply of chickpeas for hummus, etc. (for my daughter, I avoid tahini, but I ignore the sesame seeds on bread).  Do you use canned chickpeas in your recipe?  Those are the softest.

Ever since my daughter went wheat free I have been looking at all the offerings and am usually disappointed.  Most gluten-free stuff (she is not celiac, but it's useful since wheat is a huge trigger) has some ingredients that I'm not sure I like: tapioca flour (good in pies, not nutritious in quantity), potato starch (non-organic, not acceptably nutritious in quantity), xanthum gum (from corn, non-organic, poss. GMO), rice flour (usually white, usually not organic, though I can buy brown org).  If I buy something for her, unless it is a treat it needs to be organic.  If I make it, it needs to be more nutritious.  Usually I will take a recipe and attempt to replace those ingredients.  (And with this arsenic controversy, does she really need more rice?)

All things I have been mulling over. 

I cheated and had some toast--too hungry!  But I had also had some bites of the coconut ice cream the same day.  I had some awful gas.  Probably the coconut because this has happened before.

Just goes to show, when you challenge (even if you just cheat) make sure you aren't eating anything you know causes you grief.  I ate it because I felt desperate for something sweet and I was serving it up for the girls.  Also, avoid any unknowns, because if there is any doubt at all, you really need to start from scratch.  I didn't seem to get a reaction from the cheater's toast.  Maybe the test was right?  That would be fabulous.  We'll keep trying and do the challenge properly.

#26 of 26 Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 PM

I know how you feel! Back when I first had to go Gluten Free, I would feel hopeless and left out, so would go run to my fave restaurant and pig out on forbidden fruits, in my case, Cod Basket with Glutenous Bun and Glutenous French Fries.

Hopefully, you will pass the Wheat challenge. :D That would be very cool! banana.gif

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page