Rash after 'flu subsided..please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

DD 3 yrs old had a 'flu for almost 6 days 4 days back where she kept having high fevers and needed Ibuprofen.

Around the 6th day her fevers subsided but some parts of her body are covered with tiny pin-prick size bumps which are flesh-colored (almost like goose bumps) and some of them are itchy.

Can anyone shed light on this please?

TIA

#2 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Sounds like a post viral rash. I know several kids who get them. Usually they are nothing serious and subside pretty quickly. If any of her joints get inflamed though, take her in.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Also keep an eye on what happens to the rash (e.g. if it develops blisters or if it's on the palms of hand/feet, could be hand/foot/mouth disease - which we all got earlier this year).  

Without a cough/respiratory symptoms, I doubt it would be influenze (aka the flu)...it's more likely some other type of viral illness that involves a fever and rash (?roseola maybe?).

#4 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

it's more likely some other type of viral illness that involves a fever and rash (?roseola maybe?).

Roseola if I remember correctly is not raised and looks more mottled and not itchy.  It follows a relatively brief, very high fever, followed by a sudden break in the fever.  Both of my girls had this.  The second time when the fever completely broke, almost out of the blue, I was ready for the rash. 

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 7 Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Nope.. not mottled at all and definitely itchy where she can scratch it. Not red at all... just like goose bumps (and even smaller than goose bumps in diameter..if you can imagine that)

This rash came after her fevers were completely gone and is even subsiding into dry scales/points in some places.

#6 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

I'm definitely not writing it off as a fever-induced rash, but fevers can do weird things.  My daughter started losing bucketloads of hair over the next 8 months.  She would leave hair every where!  I wracked my brains trying to figure out where this came from, and finally her ARNP and I remembered her super-high fever (104.5) months previously.

So, back to the rash..... if she's fine now, and the rash subsides, you may just never, ever know exactly what it was.

That said, since you posted in Allergies, my 7yo (the same one who lost half her hair) has had what seemed to be an allergic reaction to ibuprofen.  It took a few times of giving the medicine to her before I caught it.  Apparently it's more common in girls than boys.   But she didn't have a rash.  Her symptom was a nasty bout of coughing starting about 7 or so minutes after the dose of medicine and lasting about 20 minutes.

But your daughter's rash does sound like those weird post-virus, post-fever rashes people get instead.  Unfortunately, some things like this often remain a mystery.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#7 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all...

As I mentioned in my x-posted thread.. the rash looks closest to 'prickly heat' (this simple description didn't occur to me earlier). The flesh colored small prickly heat.. not the red kind.

Her ped thinks it is a post-viral rash and it is already sloughing off...

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page