Is there any hope? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd just seems to keep losing foods.  Fruits seem to be the worst, likely because of her severe birch allergy.  Now it seems that yesterday she had a scary reaction to lentils (I am pretty sure it was the lentils and not the prunes).  Of course she will now be avoiding lentils and I will be careful with prunes until I am convinced for sure it wasn't them.  Anyway, she has true IgE allergies to tons of foods including all of the usual suspects.  She is nearly 5.  The doctor still thinks there is hope, she seems to expect my dd to outgrow some/most of her allergies, but I can't see any hope.  Things just seem to be getting worse.  Can anyone offer me any hope?  Anyone else have a 5yo with lots of bad allergies who eventually outgrew at least some of them?  

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I can't answer the outgrow part as we are in the same place.  All I can say is try and hang in there.  If these are going to be life long allergies, teaching her all about food, cooking and nutrition are going to be so very important and she'll live a much healthier lifestyle because of it!

Bright side, ya know?  It is so hard, I know.  Hang in there!

AlergkVegtarian likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM

She can outgrow, sure. Those foods would be much more likely to outgrow (statistically) than other allergens.

Is it just raw fruit/can she eat those fruits cooked? I'm wondering if immuntherapy (like allergy shots) for her birch allergens might help her with the related foods. Similarly, can she do honey? Local honey might help with the environmentals and maybe that would transfer to foods.

There is a bucket theory of allergies and, it seems, some people can get rid of their low cap-rast score allergens if they keep their "allergy bucket" as empty as possible. The doctors doing this (I can't remember the university/medical center involved) do careful control of eczema, asthma, environmental allergens, etc. and find that sometimes kids will lose a food allergy.

My son has some anphylactic allergies that (statistically) he has almost no chance of outgrowing. But I still have hope. They are doing so much right now in this field. There is, for example, a lot of work in oral desensitization to foods. There are other things too that are exciting. For example, there is a mix of herbs (originating in China) that is in clinical trials right now. They had very successful mouse trials and then phase 1 with people successful too. When people take them they seem to have tolerance to their allergens (even anaphylactic ones) for a long time--like 6 months. There is other stuff.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM

More Hope:  A research team in Australia is having success with allergy shots for Peanut allergies. They are hoping that if the allergy shots pass, that they can make shots for all food allergies to bring the food from anaphylaxis down to intolerant symptoms only.

And yes, I too heard about the Chinese Herbs study. Looks very promising!

Also, some people have had great success with a high probiotic treatment program. Dr. Wand (out of Minnesota) has such a treatment program and has been successful with many of his clients, I am told. I do not know who else subscribes to this type of treatment though, and probiotics aren't cheap. I found that I tolerated Dairy better when I had larger amounts of Probiotics.

I have several foods I can't eat:

Gluten, Mustard/Cabbage Family, Avian Family, Allium Family, Meats, Banana, Celery, Quinoa, Flacourtia Family, Laurel Family, Litchee, Alcohol and Vinegar.

Food allergies aren't really the end of the world. We just learn to cook things differently and be more creative. I view it as a challenge that has made me a better cook. Attitude was key for me to overcoming the negative aspect of having such unusual allergies.

#5 of 10 Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM

Can someone point me to this Chinese herbs study so I can follow it? Thanks so much :)

Actually also - Dr. Wand's protocol too if it is listed on the web.. Can someone point me to that? Thanks

#6 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.  Yes, I know it isn't the end of the world, but when she is allergic to about 20 known things (including all the common foods) and is still losing things and I am having a hard time finding foods to give her (and I am very creative and a scratch cook and aware of lots of alternative foods, no SAD here not even for the non-allergic in the house, I don't buy processed foods and hadn't for years even before dd came along, so I am not your average American mom) it is hard and discouraging and scary.  Yes, she eats a super clean and healthy diet, but if she keeps losing foods I wonder if her diet can continue to be healthy.  Right now, fruit is an enormous challenge.  I am rotating 2-3 fruits in the hopes that she will continue to tolerate them, but I worry about the day she may lose one of them and then what will I do for her???

I started her on probiotics over the winter and saw some changes in her, some good and some not so good.  She seemed more susceptible to stomach bugs this winter, which is really weird.  She stopped waking in the middle of the night super agitated.  She used to wake once a night and be nearly inconsolable, that just stopped completely.  She stopped wearing a diaper at night, she has had a couple of small accidents where she started to go and stopped, but otherwise one day she just started getting up in the night to go potty and stopped wetting in her diaper.  She had an enormous improvement in her iron levels with no diet change.  She also had some blood work that has never fallen in the reference range finally go in the reference range, again after no change in anything except the probiotic.  But, her allergies seem no better and now she has lost yet another food that she has eaten forever.  So, we continue the probiotics, but I don't see it helping her allergies right now, but I am pleased with the other changes.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#7 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Oh my GOD!

I hope you are not onto something with the stomach bug theory. I am in a similar boat as you - about allergies, about cooking meals from scratch , about wanting to feed her a healthy range of foods... and I started seeing similar things as you did when I started her on probiotics.

At the same time - in the last 5 months she has had 1 stomach bug and 2 viral 'flus and was wondering why her immune system had gotten weaker - instead of stronger.

BUT - I also thought in a parallel way that maybe it was because she has now turned 3 and even though she doesn't go to daycare her outings and interactions with toddlers have increased a bit......

I hope there isn't a link. Theoretically there shouldn't be - right? 

#8 of 10 Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it is really weird.  It shouldn't be that way.  I will say that as a whole she was healthier this fall/winter than last, but all my kids were.  Also, she had that first stomach bug before we started the probiotics, but went on to have 2-3 more.  I wouldn't have thought too much of it, but my kids almost never get stomach bugs.  To see more than 1 in a year is completely unheard of.  And the other girls didn't always get the bug, in fact if I remember correctly only 1 of them caught one of her bugs once.  Wondering if anyone can address this?

#9 of 10 Old 05-19-2012, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My brother was severely (anaphylactic) allergic to 25+ foods as a child.  He is now an adult and his allergies are much, much better.  He is still horrendously allergic to peanuts and other legumes, but most of the other foods he can eat in small amounts and be just fine.  If he eats a lot of milk, strawberries, wheat, or other foods that he is/was allergic to, then he has problems.  He can eat them for a meal here and there with no issues though.  There is hope!

#10 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.  I guess I will just hang in there and try hard to not think of the end game.  When people ask me if she is going to outgrow stuff I often say "I don't know and don't have time to think about it since I have to feed her today".  I guess sometimes I need to say that to myself as well.  Keep up the good fight ladies!

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page