Toddler snacks on the go - no egg, wheat, or dairy - need new ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am running out of interesting and healthy ideas for snacks on the go for my 2.5 year old DD.  Trail mix, rice cakes, fruit leathers, and portable fresh fruit are in the regular rotation, but I would love some new and different suggestions.

Also, is there some great website that has lists of things like that, or other allergy and kid friendly recipes that I can try? We are new the the allergy world and I would love to be directed to some good sources instead of spending more hours with google and getting nowhere.

Thanks!

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM

how about stuff like boiled (or even sprouted?), salted fava beans or garbanzo beans...

#3 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

DD likes hummus.  We usually dip corn chips, but veggies are yummy dipped in as well.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Rice crackers, oat cookies, dried figs, edamame dip (seriously delicious but expensive unless you make it yourself), popcorn seasoned with salt, coconut oil, and nutritional yeast (my whole family LOVES this), homemade coconut/chocolate treats.  I melt dark chocolate in a broiler and add coconut oil and coconut cream, plus vanilla and a little sweetener and freeze into tiny paper cups.  Truffles!  Coconut yogurt tastes better than soy, as does coconut ice cream, IMO.  almond butter with apple slices.  Daiya brand makes some pretty tasty vegan cheese (might check to make sure it's wheat free), we do that with sauteed mushrooms, onions and bell peppers and make corn tortilla quesadillas with guacamole to dip in, or just guacamole with corn chips is a lovely snack.  Hope this helps!

#5 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM

I like Udi's snacks which are gluten free and a lot are dairy free as well. A little Udi's cookie or muffin makes for an easy on the go sweet snack and then I also think hummus and carrots are a great snack filled with protein. Hope that helps!

#6 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsarecool View Post

I like Udi's snacks which are gluten free and a lot are dairy free as well. A little Udi's cookie or muffin makes for an easy on the go sweet snack and then I also think hummus and carrots are a great snack filled with protein. Hope that helps!

There are no egg free Udi's.

#7 of 7 Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We are CHRONICALLY on the go and dairy, gluten, soy and corn free.  We also can't eat most of the OPs listed snacks because we have blood sugar/insulin imbalances.  We rely on black olives (they travel well!), nuts, peeled baby carrots, celery, cucumbers (although these are not great in the heat) and sometimes we have peanut butter, almond butter (available raw in single-serve packets), hummus (also available in on-the-go containers now, too!), or homemade guacamole.

The fats are good for keeping you full and help regulate blood sugar (which does wonders for children's behavior  ;)  )

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page