Easy and kid-tolerable support to give a 2 y/o with seasonal allergy symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our 2 y/o is really getting bothered with seasonal allergies this year.  She's extremely resistant, at all times, to medicines (whatever kinds) but obviously really uncomfortable.  Have you had anything that your younger kids have preferred that helped with their allergies at this kind of age?  Or just something that helps with the watery eyes & drippy nose?

She often is willing to take 'vitamins' or will drink teas - so something along those lines would be preferred.  

Homeopathic tabs have not been accepted (and actually been a problem once or twice in the past).  I'll give her benadryl or something similar too at her worst in dealing with it - but like I said, it's a fight and not worth trying unless it seems really necessary, so I'd rather find some other options for her if possible.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 PM

What does she identify as "vitamins"?  Pills?  Drops?

You mentioned benadryl--- do you mean liquid?  My DD wouldn't do any liquid meds at that age but would do chewables.  DS preferred swalloweable pills from a very young age. 

Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

She's taken chewable and gummy-type vitamins.  We've tried to give various chewable or liquid meds and homeopathic tabs or cough syrup in the past and she's very resistant to all those.  I generally try to respect that unless it's a real need and I can't figure out some other option.

She DID end up having half a benadryl meltaway yesterday evening (like a chewable, basically) which was good, cause it really helped, and she was a lot better today.

I'd just love to find something that could support her allergy problems that she'd actually take when they're more minor so they don't have to get worse all day long (like taking echinacea when your cold is coming on, kinda).  Any such stuff out there like that for kids with bad seasonal allergies?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 PM

My twelve y/o DD and four y/o DS take a product called D-Hist Jr. that their ND recommended. It has helped their seasonal/environmental allergies.

http://www.pureformulas.com/dhist-jr-60-chewable-tablets-by-ortho-molecular-products.html

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks oaksie68!  I'll look at that.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaksie68 View Post

My twelve y/o DD and four y/o DS take a product called D-Hist Jr. that their ND recommended. It has helped their seasonal/environmental allergies.
http://www.pureformulas.com/dhist-jr-60-chewable-tablets-by-ortho-molecular-products.html

How many do they take and how often. My 8 year old (55 pounds) wasn't helped but I don't know if I didn't give him enough. He's back on zyrtec and singulair now but I'm willing to try again.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

How many do they take and how often. My 8 year old (55 pounds) wasn't helped but I don't know if I didn't give him enough. He's back on zyrtec and singulair now but I'm willing to try again.

Well the label says to take 1-2 twice a day.  My kids take 1 twice a day, and after doing that for a while, sometimes slack off to once a day (but also sometimes show the effects of missing a dose!).  I'm trying to remember exactly what the ND said, but I believe that she said that some (pediatric) patients start off with taking 2 twice a day to "jumpstart" the body's immune system/functioning, and then lower to 1 twice a day, and a missed does here or there shouldn't make a difference.  I'm not explaining it very well; it made sense to me at the time she explained it, but words are failing me now!  So depending on how you dosed him before, maybe increase the dose? 

She initially suggested them for my DS (4 - he is about 45 lbs.) because he spent about 2 weeks with an itchy, unilateral rash on his torso (after ruling out other acute infection/illnesses, as well as ruling out food sensitivites), and congestion with on and off again issues with ear infections (after a winter and early spring with a few colds/URI).  Finally, after taking this, using garlic and mullein ear drops, and boosting/supporting his immune system, his rash FINALLY went away (after about a total of 4 weeks), and his ear issues and congestion resolved.  She also suggested I could give it to my DD (12 - and is about 95 lbs), since she has enviromental allergies/sensitivities too, and had been very sneezy and congested. If you know about/look up the ingredients, (I did!), I see why this works.   But I do give my kids the exact same dose; while my DD tested sensitive to A LOT more environmental things, my DS's sensitivites are to things found everywhere in the SW - native trees, bushes, flowers, and also many grasses and ragweed pollen that are not native, but everybody plants - lucky him ;-(.

I'm not sure that this information is helpful to you; I sure hope so!  Good luck. 

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List