Raising chickens...allergy/feed question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 3 kids who are allergic to wheat and the youngest of the 3 is also allergic to corn. He can handle it in some foods like gluten free pretzels.

I'd like to get some hens for egg laying.

Would I need to give the hens a wheat/corn free diet or does it matter what the hen who made the egg has eaten? None of my children actually eat eggs but I use them to bake with.

Also, if you happen to know a (non organic bc I can't find any around here) non gmo chicken feed I'd love to know the brand. Making my own isn't an option right now.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum; wasn't sure if the country living/off the grid area would be best or this area. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It is going to be really hard to find a non GMO feed, especially if organic feed isn't available in your area.  Chickens can eat a lot of chicken scraps.  We feed ours anything except chicken or turkey meat and avocado (which is poisonous to them).  They enjoy lots of other things from overgrown zuke and cuke from the garden to leftover lasagna and lentil soup.  You will probably still need to supplement them with a commercial feed.

No advice on the food allergies, I'm afraid.  If they can eat commercially available eggs then I think you will be fine, since those chickens are definitely fed wheat and corn.

#3 of 6 Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking that too. I've called all over and no-one carries organic feed. I've read that I can't give them dried beans and then the avocado. I was thinking I'd go with this poultry layer feed but I can't find the ingredients. It looks like the cheapest option though. The eggs I usually buy are organic free range but def. grain fed and I use them in baking and they seem to do okay with them.

Nevermind; read on Backyard Chickens that Purina Layena is much better than DuMOR.

#4 of 6 Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I have not read any research regarding allergic responses to corn- and soy- fed meat and eggs, and consequently I am skeptical about it.  Ignorance on my part, perhaps, but anyway......

Corn and soy still remain an issue with me, especially non-organic which is almost surely GMO and that has other issues beyond what ends up in your egg.

If you are on a delivery route for Azure Standard (natural foods), they carry corn and soy-free feed, including organic and non-organic options.  They also sell whole grains and peas to help make your own if you want (including "Organic Chicken Wheat" for crazy cheap).  Very competitive prices.  If you are on the route, you need $500 order per drop, but that can be made up of individual orders of as little as $40.  Check their website, call their number to see if you are on a delivery route, if there is an open drop site nearby you can tack your order onto, or gather some folks and start a drop site of your own.  There is no requirement to order every month.

I have ordered from them for 6 years now, and have been very happy with them in almost every regard.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 6 Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to check into that, thanks! I found this for my area but I'm not sure what it means. Looks like I can pick up my order but it doesn't say what city. Also I have the option of them shipping it via UPS Ground but I can't get the total without completely ordering.

Q2 - IL + KY + TN

Cutoff Departure
June 29, 2012, 3 p.m.

July 5, 2012

ETA: Okay it'd be an under $50 total so they'd only charge a small handling fee + shipping. Hmmm.

Have you or anyone else tried this feed? http://www.amazon.com/50-Pound-Organic-Scratch-Feed/dp/B003IO3WY6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_9  It's certainly pricey but maybe worth it?

#6 of 6 Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brees_Mama View Post

I'll have to check into that, thanks! I found this for my area but I'm not sure what it means. Looks like I can pick up my order but it doesn't say what city. Also I have the option of them shipping it via UPS Ground but I can't get the total without completely ordering.

Q2 - IL + KY + TN

Cutoff Departure
June 29, 2012, 3 p.m.

July 5, 2012

ETA: Okay it'd be an under $50 total so they'd only charge a small handling fee + shipping. Hmmm.

Have you or anyone else tried this feed? http://www.amazon.com/50-Pound-Organic-Scratch-Feed/dp/B003IO3WY6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_9  It's certainly pricey but maybe worth it?

Call them directly.  You might need to get them to add your name onto a drop site first.  They do not list drop sites on their website, but once you are included, the site will be verified before you submit your order.  There will be "open" drop site and "closed" drop sites.  Ours is "closed", but we occasionally get asked for permission to add someone temporarily if they missed their order.

After you have set up your drop site (and account#) you can order online.  You can also order over the phone, or by fax.  Different routes might be charged differently for S+H.  We are in WA, a shortish drive from their warehouse in the Hood River area.  So, we do not have S+H tacked onto the prices.  Other parts of the country might have different requirements due to distance.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page