Dealing with multiple intolerances ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you deal with multiple intolerances with different family members? I am having some testing done for gluten and dd cannot have any dairy and soy due to intolerances. I am always at a loss of what to cook for meals, and then I have ds who isn't showing any intolerances at this point.. How do you do it? any go to recipes? We are just getting tired of the same things..  

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I don't have any great advice to give, but if you'd like to vent, please go ahead and join my other thread on this topic:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1354120/can-we-do-a-meal-planning-vent-rant

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

That looks like a fun (argh!) thread, Ragana.

Our house is almost absurd, with competing allergies, plus an extremely picky 5yo thrown into the mix.  I can respond more in depth later, but suffice it to say that resistance to short order dinners faded a long time ago!  Also, meals are a bit plain and a la carte.  DH and I can mix them together, top with cheeses and curry sauce or hot sauce, leaving plainer food for the girls.  It could be more exciting, but it works.

I'll check back here, and that other thread a bit later......

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We are dairy, soy, corn and gluten-free.  We then added all food dyes, preservatives and salicylates (soooo... tomatoes, apples, oranges, berries... the list is miserably long).  Not every person in the house is intolerant of the same stuff.

We do NOT short-order cook.

We just all eat the same foods.  I think there's a link to either my blog or my website (which has my blog in it) in my signature.  In there are several months worth of "here's what we ate today" and a month or two of dinner meal plans.

Breakfasts are eggs, chia pudding, crockpot oatmeal on occasion (we also tackle blood sugar/insulin issues so no fruit smoothies here unless it's an aside to a protein-based meal).

Snacks are almost always raw veggies with hummus or guacamole, nuts or olives.  Or homemade kale chips (because the store-bought ones are horrifyingly gross)

Lunches and dinners look similar... soups, small portions of meat/animal protein with a LOT of veggies (like literally 3/4+ of the plate).  We use blanched collard leaves as wraps.

We drink water.  Sometimes I drink kombucha and my husband is all about the kefir (he and the 3yo CAN drink it--but 3yo doesn't get much.  She also likes kombucha ;)  ).

We get a number of great recipes from raw food cookbooks.

We almost never eat beans, potatoes or rice just because I'm really lazy.  As a result, our diet could be considered Paleo (or not--because we DO it them, it's just really rare).

Also as a result, we are almost completely grain-free (not on purpose, but it just happens to be the case).

I think the only real issue becomes eating outside of our home.  Sushi is a big hit as is Chinese food (because we can get steamed chicken and broccoli among other thigns).  It gets expensive.  :/

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#5 of 5 Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I am allergic to corn, rice, oats, nuts, peanuts, peas, soy and eggs and sesame.  Limited dairy.  Wheat is OK (odd!)

DD1 is allergic to dairy and wheat and nuts.  Limited rice and eggs.

We can share vegetables and meat and potatoes and quinoa.  We generally cook a meal based on what I can eat, plus something extra for dd1 (like cornbread or rice noodles).  I generally don't do wheat with dinner unless it's a side of bread, or occasionally biscuits.  Cheese dh and I add on top, rarely cook with it because that excludes dd1.  DD2 pretty much tells us what she wants to eat, and sometimes she'll eat broccoli or chicken along with us.  She doesn't even like to smell other people's food.  I've long since given up on trying to make everyone's dinner look the same!

Tonight really is short order because it's gym night and I ate a big lunch.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page