Tenting for termites and 4-month-old baby?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't figure out where to post this, so I hope it's OK to post here.

We are supposed to move at the end of next week and I just found out the landlord is having the place tented for termites (he says it's required by insurance every 10 years) around the beginning of the week. He says the house will be tented for 24 hours and will only need to air out for a few hours and then the chemicals dissipate. Our baby is four months old and I'm worried about her (not to mention us!) being exposed to that stuff. I prefer to avoid using pesticides in general. Anyone with any experience with this?
#2 of 2 Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you convince your landlord to look into treating the house with orange oil as an alternative? It's worth asking at least! We had this done at our house. It's totally non-toxic, you don't even have to leave the house, it's just as effective as tenting and in our case was half the cost!

Not sure where you're located, but just Google "orange oil termites" and your area, and you'll probably find a company that does it.
Here's an example: http://www.orangeoiltermitecontrol.com/

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page