My meal wasn't SAFE tonight! :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought I prepared and served a SAFE meal tonight.

However, my son had a mild reaction.  Within minutes after finishing one of his very favorite meals ... Rice Spaghetti Noodles and Tomato Sauce with Garlic and Basil ... he began coughing, becoming red faced and sneezing.  Within twenty minutes, he had vomiting too. 

We administered Allegra per our pediatricians instructions.

He's allergic to corn, soy, nut, egg, beef and is intolerant to wheat, gluten and dairy.

Has anyone ever heard of NAET for allergies?  I read an article about it and it peaked my interest.

Thanks!

#2 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 AM

greensad.gif I'm so sorry for your son's reaction, especially as you tried so hard to make everything safe! I haven't heard of NAET, but hopefully someone else here has and will post soon!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Do you have epipens? That sounds like an anaphylactic reaction to me.  Has your allergist given you a FAAP?

NAET has no scientific backup.   The only treatment for food allergies is total avoidance.  

Sorry your little one had a reaction.  Hope he's feeling better today and I would clarify your FAAP with your allergist.

#4 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM

As the previous poster said that sounds anaphylactic. Have you seen an allergist? I think you need an epi pen and I would see if the pediatrician can call one in until you can see your allergist. Most allergists, if you tell them your child experienced anapylactic symptoms, will get you in fast but you need an epi pen ASAP.

Read up on signs of anaphylaxis (it involves any two body systems--lungs, skin, gastro, all seem affected in your description which is scary) and how to handle it if it happens again (epi pen, 911 (always call for ambulance as epis wear off in as little as 15 minutes), benadryl). You really need to have help to figure out what caused that serious of a reaction so you can entirely avoid it as in not have x in the home even.

Some thoughts. Do you have those allergens in the home? Could it be cross contamination from a pan or surface?

Spices can have sesame contamination. The only allergy safe company I found was McCormick. I had to get rid of my spices. You have nut allergies and sesame crosses with pistachio and cashew if those are two of the allergens (mango is with them by the way). Those are very high incidence of serious anaphylaxis so it's something to consider given that reaction. Sesame is very hard to accurately test for in my understanding. My son is nut and sesame anaphylactic.

NAET doesn't have the science behind it in my opinion. I wouldn't spend the money. But even if you decide to you need to know what is anaphylactic as you've got to avoid that 100%.

I'm sorry if you're entering the world of these kinds of deadly allergies. I really think you have and I know what that feels like.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Some people like NAET. I'd go with a blood test and a food diary. Tomato is a common allergen. Have you noticed a reaction to garlic, tomato or basil before? 

EmbraceLife likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 06:43 PM

Just chiming in that I think sbgrace pretty much covered it.  People who see relief from NAET swear by it, but the people I meet that have done it run 50-50 with those who saw nothing from it.  They DO treat that level of allergy (through a proxy for safety) but there's no way of knowing if your child will respond.

Also, double-check the labels of the brands you used.  Even if they're the same ones you always use, companies change formulations.  So just when you think you're done having to read labels all the time...  crap.gif

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#7 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

Just chiming in that I think sbgrace pretty much covered it.  People who see relief from NAET swear by it, but the people I meet that have done it run 50-50 with those who saw nothing from it.  They DO treat that level of allergy (through a proxy for safety) but there's no way of knowing if your child will respond.

Also, double-check the labels of the brands you used.  Even if they're the same ones you always use, companies change formulations.  So just when you think you're done having to read labels all the time...  crap.gif

Yes, that (bolding mine).  We read every single label on every single container every single time.  It gets really old, but less intrusive now that it's been our family's default for years.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#8 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies and great information.

He's 20 months old and this wasn't his first reaction.  Unfortunately, it's been a learning experience.  The first nine months were horrible as we discovered his allergies.  Now, we at least are aware and seem to discover new ones every few months as we visit the allergist twice yearly.

We do have Epi-Pens and have had to call 911 previously for a reaction.  We haven't used the Epi-Pens.  This time, it seemed less severe as he wasn't struggling to breathe and didn't turn colors.

I believe in the total food avoidance and that is what our allergist told us.  However, our pediatrician told me to stop being such a control freak and told me I didn't have to avoid foods when the label reads "processed in the same plant as".  She just said have your Epi Pen ready just incase.  I have really struggled with her advice and haven't changed my "control freak" ways since his allergies are life threatening.

While googling allergies, I have ran across information about NAET.  I didn't see any scientific evidence about it.  I cannot imagine having it done, the practitioner saying he's cured ... and then actually trusting that the procedure worked and feeding him something he's been known to react to.  I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone has had a positive experience with it.  We would be driving three hours to have it done if we decide to see if it could make a difference.

We have gone allergen free in the home.  We have received some negative attitudes from some family and friends because they don't feel it is fair to our other child.  We don't feel it is fair to risk one family members life. 

Do spices have to have the same label ... such as processed in a plant that also processes tree nuts?  If not, that could be the culprit!

We have never noticed a reaction to tomato, garlic or basil previously.  With all of the restrictions, I seem to use a lot more tomato than I ever did previously.

I've heard about ALWAYS reading the label, each and everytime we put it in our cart.  It's scary but you are SO right, we cannot trust a manufacturer not to change processing plants or ingredients.

Again, thank you all so much for the great tips and advice.  We have been living with the life threatening food allergies for nearly two years now, only the first nine months, we didn't know what was wrong.  Now, as we avoid all of the food allergens, life is much better, scary and anxiety filled at times ... but much better.  I'm much less overwhelmed with the allergies as my knowledge about them and how to best live with them increases.

Thanks,
Trina

#9 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

OP, we've had our house both ways, with allergens and without.  Our sons are 19 and 22 now and living away most of the year.  When they were younger, we did have allergens around and made sure to avoid any cross-contamination.  They never had an accidental reaction from kitchen practices.  As they got older and had to tackle more stress about it, and even now that they're away, though, our house has become the allergen-free zone.  They've been in shared kitchens and cooking for themselves at school, and they like the idea of having a safe zone. 

It got a little complicated when DH, DS2, and I went to visit DS1 earlier this summer; DS2 has allergies that DS1 doesn't, so the kitchen had added risk.  I did all the cooking and managed it by cleaning whatever I used right before using it, plus DS1 avoided DS2's allergens for the week we were there.  Voluntarily, and of his own initiative.  I think your friends and family may mean well but are out of line by calling your decision unfair; they may well also be underestimating your non-allergic child.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#10 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Your allergist was correct. Pediatricians are notorious for bad understanding of allergy but telling a person to relax on anaphylactic allergies is scary and potentially deadly advice. I do facility shares for two companies because I feel their practices, awareness, and separation are safe. But we don't do any line shares with my son or other facility shares. I don't believe labels even have to do may contain warnings. So shared facility could be as bad as sharing lines. You wouldn't know unless you call and you wouldn't know if they change it unless you keep checking. For most companies it's not worth the risk for us. I trust only two companies enough to use their products with shared facility.

The scariest thing to me about your pediatrician's advice is her reliance on that epi pen. Most kids who die received epi pens but they didn't work well enough to save them. In fact I remember a peanut treatment trial halted when a child died in a hospital setting with immediate epi pens and full life saving measures. Sometimes people need two pens. Sometimes they wear off before the hospital is reached. Sometimes they are given too late to stop the reaction. That too late can be minutes in. I'm worried that the pediatrician recommended you sort of wait and see how bad it got and if breathing was affected. By the time it gets bad the epi might very well not be able to save the child. In fact almost all kids who die of anaphylaxis got epi pens. They died anyway most often due to getting it a bit too late. It's scary. That's why allergists (correctly) tell patients to avoid strictly, epi and 911 with any exposure. I hope this doesn't come across too strong. I think peds can be very bad with allergies and still be good peds. Anyone can have a hole in their knowledge base. But the advice you're getting (be more relaxed because you have epis, use allegra at reaction, etc.) from the pediatrician on this is very scary to me.

The spices don't typically have may contain warnings. The problem is sesame is not a required label in the states. So there is a lack of awareness and care with it and the spice companies use sesame of course. In a few they use the same scoops for all their spices. In others they just don't worry about cleaning lines. McCormick is the only one I found that is careful with sesame including cleaning lines.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#11 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM

"May contain/facility warning" is voluntary. It isn't required. Just because a label DOESN'T say it does not mean anything except that they don't have a facility warning.
#12 of 12 Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Spices can, and often do, contain corn starch to prevent clumping!!! As someone with a corn allergy, I avoid anything that has "spices" in the ingrediant list.
Also, I only use dried hebs and whole spices.

I make a quick tomato sauce using tomato paste (2 7oz jars/cans), soup broth (homemade when possible, Imagine's No Chicken Broth when not), parsley and basil, and finally Real Salt sea salt.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page