Dairy and Behavior Problems, need advice in weaning! salicylate sensitvity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All, My three year old LOVES his milk but after careful observation, I'm thinking that dairy may be the culprit for his hyperactivity and agressiveness. I am dairy free as well as my younger son so I'm well-versed on the substitutions and all that but I'm not having luck switching up his morning and evening/bedtime milk. He LOVES his milk at night and has had it as part of his routine.

We have tried flax milk and it's sweet, he is doing better at night without his milk..

Anyone notice a change post dairy-free?

I am noticing some difference but then he had a major blowout today after eating an apple and a peach and also wondering if he is sensitive to salicylates? He is NOT ADD or ADHD becuse he is an angel at school, just at home (he has a 1 year old brother).

Any advice would be really helpful, has anyone experienced this and what have you done to change?thumb.gif

#2 of 4 Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM

I would stick with one change at a time. Once the no dairy settles in you'll be able to see what changes stick and if it was truly a problem. If you pull 3 things (or more) it will be harder to know which really helped and which might not be necessary to pull.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 4 Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

She's right - one thing at time so that you know what might be triggering it. There are preservatives in the milk so you wouldn't know whether it is the milk or the preservatives.

My first guess, though, would be the food dyes, etc. she is getting. It doesn't take much to set a small child off. Watch the video on the Feingold Assoc. homepage.  You will be amazed at what it can do.  My son stopped food dyes, etc.at age 4 and the difference was incredible.

#4 of 4 Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

I would stick with one change at a time. Once the no dairy settles in you'll be able to see what changes stick and if it was truly a problem. If you pull 3 things (or more) it will be harder to know which really helped and which might not be necessary to pull.

yeahthat.gif

If anyone in your family or her father's family has an allergy to aspirin (even cousins) then salicylate is actually VERY likely (80% greater chance--but family history is not needed).  So it's a good next step for sure.  I know salicylates got a lot of press with Feingold and Feingold got a lot of press for being "the ADD/ADHD diet" but truthfully, there are plenty of people that suffer non-ADD/ADHD issues that have been resolved through Feingold--my house included.  It did nothing for ADD/ADHD but the problems it resolved were big enough for us to continue with it.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page