2 week-old with diaper rash - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure where to start. DS2 is nursing beautifully--and I am on a normal mostly organic diet. However, in the last few days he has developed a little diaper rash (red and bumpy). His poop is yellow with some green. He is spitting up but not an unusual amount.

DD and DS1 dealt with food allergies and sensitivities but they seem to have outgrown most of them. We have gone through this already, so I'm a little more aware this time.

DS1 had a respiratory reaction as well as rash to what I was eating and I went through months of months of elimination trying to figure out what it was. It wasn't milk.

However, I'm wondering if eliminating milk at this stage would be wisest and then work my way through the list?

Just thinking with DS2 being 2-weeks old I'd like to move fast.

One other thing that could be contributing is he is going for a 4-hour stretch at night sleeping and when he wakes his diaper is soaked through (we use cloth). Maybe just an irritation?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 AM

how are things now? does he still have a diaper rash? i don't see any harm in eliminating milk to see if that is a factor, but it could also be the longer night stretches in his diaper. are you using a fleece liner in the diaper? i found that helped keep the moisture off. good luck!

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for checking back. :)

I've been using Burt's Bee's diaper cream--which has proven to be a very effective barrier short-term. His rash has improved, but not gone away.

I'd like to try the fleece liners. Would it work to just cut up a fleece blanket I have at home? I'm kind of wondering about the dyes used in the fleece, etc. and there won't be an absorbent center...but just to see if it will work?

Really hoping that food allergies/sensitivities are not "it" this time!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#4 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM

the fleece liners i used i bought but they were just a single layer of fleece cut into a shape that would fit into a diaper. if i had another baby i would totally make my own. i would think that the dye in your fleece blanket would be fine if it has been washed and dried. i wouldn't worry about an absorbent center either, the fleece just helps keep the moisture off your baby's bum.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

good info:)

the diaper rash went away on it's own! i didn't really change anything so i'm thinking maybe he reacted to something that I ate?

yesterday evening when i changed DS, though, he had a red bottom--sans bumps--and still has a red bum today. i haven't had straight eggs too often, and i had an egg sandwhich yesterday for lunch. can a baby react that fast? i'm thinking it could be eggs....

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page