Had food intolerance tests done for my children - do I really need to change diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-17-2004, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay Elijah has been displaying asthma symptoms, chronic cough, chronic ear infections and hyperactivity. He tested sensitive to wheat, yeast, all dairy (except goat's milk), sugar, msg, and chocolate. Olivia is pretty healthy but is still a bad sleeper and is very moody. She tested sensitive to corn, sugar, msg and chocolate. It seems like such a drastic change to change their diets especially my son. Is this stuff for real? Could his problems actually be caused by food intolerances? I did a little research (just got home, will be doing more) and for corn two of the symptoms, especially for young children, are disturbed sleep and mood swings. hmmm... thanks for any advice!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2004, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it was me, I'd change the diet for sure. These things are for real, IMO. You can always change back if you don't see results and decide it's not working for you.

It is not so bad- we have gone off many of those things. Try some yahoo groups like Food Allergy Kitchen and surround yourself with support.

Good luck.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2004, 11:24 PM

What specific tests did you have done? I'm thinking about doing the same for my kids.

Mel
#4 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

I had the Vega test for food intolerance and sensitivity done by a naturopathic doctor. It only took 10 minutes or so and there is no pain at all. Well my 17 month old cried but she was just mad to be held still. It cost me $190 Canadian for both kids consult and tests. I don't have private insurance and its not covered by OHIP (free Ontario health care).

My mom thinks its all a bunch of crap. She says millions of people going through life without being tested and they are all fine.

How can you change a kids diet? What about birthday parties, travelling, camping, etc?

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 12:09 AM

Shawna, lots of people do it. You bring food for them or tell the hostess and maybe she can comply. I was just at a birthday party last weeekend and one boy couldn't eat the cake, neither could my youngest. It's fine. If it brings them health, it's worth it. Do a little talking to other moms with food allergy kids- online or in person.

#6 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 12:12 AM

Yes, you can do it. And it CAN make a big difference. DS1 (now 5yo) had chronic constipation from 3 months to 4 y 3 mo. We took him off dairy at 4 y 3mo and within a week his constipation was gone--poof! It was amazing.

DS2 had chronic ear infections after his 6 mo vaccinations. 3 rounds of antibiotics in 2 months. We took him off dairy, gave him flax oil and he's never had another ear infection since. He also had some eczema behind the ears that nearly went away. I went off all dairy as well, as I was (am) nursing. He's 2 yo now and recently I went on a dairy binge, eating dill havarti (yum!) and ice cream for about two days straight. I gave him regular yogurt for three or four days as well. For about a week he had constant nightwaking and eczema behind his ears and upper arms. It's sloooooowly going away now that we're off dairy again.

We recently took the whole family off wheat for 3 months. At school, we leave some wheat-free, dairy-free cookies (Frookies) in a ziplock bag that ds1 LOVES. He gets these instead of whatever treats the parents bring. If we know we're going to a birthday party, we eat food ahead of time (so we can skip chips, pizza, etc) and we let ds decide if he wants the cake. He is old enough to know that if he eats ice cream cake, it'll hurt to poop the next day. We know that too much wheat makes him irritable and his stomach hurts, but we balance out his need to be part of things and to eat treats.

DS1 is sensitive to corn as well.

We found that being VERY STRICT for about 3 months meant that we could reintroduce small amounts of some foods (like corn) into ds1's diet wihtout a huge problem. So, every two weeks or so, he can had a corn on the cob, but we're prepared for the hyperactive response from him.

I won't tell you it's easy, but I will say it's worth it. I dropped about 8 lbs in 3 months dropping the foods--dairy, wheat, corn, sugar, chocolate--that are triggers. I discovered that *I* have a chocolate allergy. :cry But I still eat it here and there--I just know that it will give me a headache and make me a crabby person. The kids have really benefitted as well.

Good luck!
#7 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 01:25 PM

I think if I had known what foods I was allergic to I would not have become so ill today. I would absolutely take this seriously as your kid's immune systems will eventually become taxed and all sorts of problems could result. I would also retest later to see if anything has changed. Good Luck.
#8 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM

gurumama, I have the chocolate allergy, too. Talk about the one food that you can't live without LOL Ate some last night and paying the price (eczema) today.

#9 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 03:33 PM

you can do it!!

diet is imho the best place to begin when healing health problems!!

Lucky you and lucky kids to know so early in their lives that they need to avoid those foods! Some of us dont find out until we're much much older.

It's a lot of work at first to change the way that you eat, but it gets easier after you learn what you can have.

Quote:
He tested sensitive to wheat, yeast, all dairy (except goat's milk), sugar, msg, and chocolate. She tested sensitive to corn, sugar, msg and chocolate.
http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNotes/Index/Diet.htm

YOu'll find some excellent info on that list that should help to get you started. Make a list of the foods that your kids CAN have, and shop from that. You still have a LOT to choose from--nuts, seeds, meat, veggies, fruits, goats milk!! (which is supposed to be better than cow milk anyways), rye, rice, oats, carob, honey, olive oil.... It'll be easier in the long run to get your whole family eating the same foods. It's so much easier on the kids when they dont have to watch everyone else eating foods they cant have, and it's simpler for whoever's doing shopping and meal prep.

heartbeat.gif

#10 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
wheat, yeast, all dairy (except goat's milk), sugar, msg, and chocolate. Olivia is pretty healthy but is still a bad sleeper and is very moody. She tested sensitive to corn, sugar, msg and chocolate.

I would start with liminating it all for a few weeks and then gradually add back in the things you think are the least convient to eliminate.

MSG, Chocolate, and sugar can go pretty easily (ar at least save chocolate and sugar for seldom treats) Since your son didn't test positive for corn he always has corn syrupo (I was at an allergy test for this kid - they do them right in the waiting room of my Dr.s office - and he was allergic to alot and the nurse pointed out -you can still have everything in pop:LOL his mom was thrilled that she did that : but at least it wasn't like he had to give up everything that was a treat.) Olivia is young, so st least she will grow up used to it. But eliminate everything and then add back a little and see if the results are livible daily, occaisionally or never and then decide from there. Maybe just reducing some of those things like wheat and dairy would be helpful.

Also I was reading "Is This Your Child" and he mentiond alka seltzer is a god tool to head off reactions when your child does have something they are sensitive to. I believe that book also mentions things you can take for specific sensitivities, similar to taking specific allergy meds but different, so that you don't have to worry about eliminating. And I don;t blame youone bit for not wanting to hassle with eliminating all of this., waht a PITA.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#11 of 11 Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 PM

my ds, who is just three was tested to be allergic/sensitive to all the things you said Elijah was sensitive to and displayed the same symptoms......we started the diet almost 4 months ago and the results have been dramatic. he rarely is sick, less hyper, communicates better, less moody, will sleep through the night etc. i highly recommend trying it, there are so many resources out there. my son just had his b-day party and we made him wheat free dairy free cherry muffins, they were delicious. i was skeptical at first, but it has been SO SO SO worth it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page