seeking a green/ecofriendly HEPA mask - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
aiea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

 

I have recently been diagnosed as sensitive to mold, and cannot seemingly remove mold biotoxins from my body due to a genetic condition.

 

 

My house is not moldy, but my workplace is.  I can work (temporarily, at least) with a HEPA mask on.

 

I've been looking at masks but they are all full of materials that will off-gas and make things bad or maybe worse for me.

 

Does anyone know of a mask that would be safe for this case?

 

Thanks in advance!

aiea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM
 
sbgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you do a HEPA purifier at your desk instead of a mask? Or, if not enough, maybe that and then a regular mask maybe it would be enough especially along with allergy medication. There is also evidence healthy vitamin D levels can reduce mold reactions. Have you had your D tested? I wouldn't expect it to fix the problem but it might help some.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

sbgrace is offline  
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
aiea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply!  We figured the HEPA air purifier was a good start too... we ordered one and it's just arrived in the mail Friday.  I have not yet tried it, because we have a mold expert coming tomorrow to check the air quality and get a baseline in our various work areas.  I don't want to make the air "better" until we get a read from him as a starting point.

 

I do not take any allergy meds, but I do take Vitamin D.  We had it tested along with all the other labwork as I've recently been diagnosed with Lyme disease.  My Vit D level was very low (score was 23 I think)... it wasn't until we started working through the Lyme that we realized there was a mold issue seen in lab results about 10 days ago.

 

At that time, the docs also added cholestyramine to my meds.  It is kind of like a zeolite... it seeks out particles like mold biotoxins and binds them to help me remove them.

 

Thanks again... I am glad to hear info & feedback!  :)

aiea is offline  
Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
aiea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I meant I started the supplemental Vitamin D after seeing the lab result.  Interesting that my D was so low despite our location (super sunny Florida).

 

I have to say I am feeling much, much better with some new therapies, probably including the extra D.

aiea is offline  
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM
 
sbgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not surprising to me. There was actually a study from Hawaii where people (of all skin tones) who had tons of sun exposure without sunscreen were almost all deficient.

How much D are you taking? 10,000 IU a day will raise it quicker--make sure it's D3 and not a prescription.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

sbgrace is offline  
 

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off