seeking a green/ecofriendly HEPA mask - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed as sensitive to mold, and cannot seemingly remove mold biotoxins from my body due to a genetic condition.

My house is not moldy, but my workplace is.  I can work (temporarily, at least) with a HEPA mask on.

I've been looking at masks but they are all full of materials that will off-gas and make things bad or maybe worse for me.

Does anyone know of a mask that would be safe for this case?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Can you do a HEPA purifier at your desk instead of a mask? Or, if not enough, maybe that and then a regular mask maybe it would be enough especially along with allergy medication. There is also evidence healthy vitamin D levels can reduce mold reactions. Have you had your D tested? I wouldn't expect it to fix the problem but it might help some.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!  We figured the HEPA air purifier was a good start too... we ordered one and it's just arrived in the mail Friday.  I have not yet tried it, because we have a mold expert coming tomorrow to check the air quality and get a baseline in our various work areas.  I don't want to make the air "better" until we get a read from him as a starting point.

I do not take any allergy meds, but I do take Vitamin D.  We had it tested along with all the other labwork as I've recently been diagnosed with Lyme disease.  My Vit D level was very low (score was 23 I think)... it wasn't until we started working through the Lyme that we realized there was a mold issue seen in lab results about 10 days ago.

At that time, the docs also added cholestyramine to my meds.  It is kind of like a zeolite... it seeks out particles like mold biotoxins and binds them to help me remove them.

Thanks again... I am glad to hear info & feedback!  :)

Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I meant I started the supplemental Vitamin D after seeing the lab result.  Interesting that my D was so low despite our location (super sunny Florida).

I have to say I am feeling much, much better with some new therapies, probably including the extra D.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM

It's not surprising to me. There was actually a study from Hawaii where people (of all skin tones) who had tons of sun exposure without sunscreen were almost all deficient.

How much D are you taking? 10,000 IU a day will raise it quicker--make sure it's D3 and not a prescription.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List