My first semi-serious experience...now what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So yesterday I used a new product (all natural from the Farmer's Market). I taste as I cook so I was gradually eating spoonfuls of it. The only ingredient not TRULY listed is "spices." 

I was standing at the counter and alarm bells went off and I realized I had to focus to swallow...my throat was swelling. I grabbed the children's Benedryl and drank a couple of sips (straight from the bottle) The swelling stopped 15min later. I chucked the food (my DH didn't want it and I wasn't comfortable giving it to my toddlers just in case)

I crashed out early (Benedryl makes me super sleepy) and this morning I'm fine. My throat is a bit irritated but I'm otherwise good to go. 

This is my FIRST semi-serious allergy experience. I'm allergic to topical things and I have seasonal allergies but this is the first time my throat has swollen...

Is there a next step? Do I need to get a panel done? I'm so confused.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Unless you know of a specific issue with some spice, I wouldn't think that's it.  I would think cross contamination more likely.

I also would not suggest getting tested for a blanket of things. There are too many false positives for that ti be really helpful.  I would talk to whoever you purchased the product from and ask what spices they use and what company it is. Sesame is a big one that can cause issues along with some who use nuts that could do it.

Sorry dinner was a bust but glad you are okay!

#3 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

It says on the jar that it's processed in a place that does soy, nuts, shellfish, wheat...but I eat those things alone and never have an issue. Hence the confusion. All of the spices listed I've eaten with no problem. Could it have been a combo thing?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What topical things are you allergic to? Anything in similar botanical families?  

#5 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

What topical things are you allergic to? Anything in similar botanical families?  

Something in some soaps and lotions....and bandaid adhesive. I never came up with a common thread. I have to be careful with scented soaps as repeated use can cause rashes.

#6 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM

I'd want an epi pen given the throat swelling. I'd call the manufacturer and see what spices are used and what might be cross contaminating the item (that's most likely). Do you eat sesame? That one is a relatively high incidence of anaphylaxis. Lots of spices are cross contaminated with it. It's hard to test accurately for.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM

I would call the maufacturer. My partner and my son have a fragrance alergy. What was the item you cooked with?

I agree with the epi pen. But I also think every family should have one around.

#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM

You might ask a naturopath just to see what they say.  They're aware of the so-called false positives the blood tests can bring up (and why "false positive" isn't exactly correct). 

It could be that you've had very low grade food sensitivities for awhile, to one or more things, and you just hit a critical tipping point.  My son just had his first semi-serious episode while having graham crackers and soy milk.  Before and since, he'd never had an issue with either one.  But it turns out that they're his top 2 sensitivities, so the combo really got him.  Food sensitivities are a cumulative thing, so just because you're not having an anaphylactic reaction to something the test says is a problem doesn't mean the test is wrong ... it just means your total antibody load hasn't hit that critical point. 

We just did an E95 panel and of all things, garlic came up.  I've seen specific spices listed on other panels as well (I'm pretty sure I have an issue with turmeric). 

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page