Alternative to cow's milk for 1 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

My son (13 mos.) seems to have an allergy to some dairy products... most recently to whole cow's milk.  What can I give him in place of that, that has comparable protein and fat (which would be why I was giving him cow's milk)?  Oh, and what about the calcium and vitamin D? Is soy milk okay as long as he doesn't react to that? I'm better versed in egg allergy, as that's what my daughter has... but this dairy allergy is new to me!

Thanks!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Soy milk is a great alternative! It's the most commonly recommended nondairy milk for toddlers. My son and countless others weaned to soymilk and are perfectly healthy and happy. Get unsweetened, regular fat, organic, fortified soymilk smile.gif
Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think we will start with soy... I'm doing a little comparison of soy vs. cow on the Organic Valley website, just to be up on my nutrition info, I guess!  Soy milk has half the calories and half the fat, and about the same amount of protein, vitamin D and calcium as cow's milk. 

Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots of kids who react to dairy react to soy as well. We used soy initially and after finding that out switched to SoDelicious brand coconut milk (refrigerated and in cartons in the alternative milk section). I personally think its a much better alternative to soy. One of my kids is allergic to soy ad just intolerant of dairy and the other is allergic to dairy and intolerant of soy.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, soy is definitely up there on the list of allergens, so I'll be watching him carefully to see.  good to know about coconut milk.  might try that too!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

We have no trouble with soy milk and my daughter has a severe dairy allergy.  Nutritionally it has the closest profile to dairy and, like most dairy alternatives, is supplemented with vitamins like vitamin D.  We always buy organic, and with the recent flap about rice syrup we use brands sweetened with cane sugar.  You could, of course, buy unsweetened and add honey or another preferred sweetener.  Or make your own, though it's beany tasting (great for bread recipes) and not fortified.

Coconut milk is not completely without trouble.  Coconut allergies are rarer than soy, but they exist, and I find coconut milk indigestible (don't ask!  Trust me, that's enough information.)  In fact, every milk on the shelf can cause some trouble to someone.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM

I would use goats milk. The Sodelicious Coconut milk has only only 1/3 of the calories that cow milk has, less fat, zero protein, and the company has to call it coconut milk "beverage" because it isnt pure coconut milk. I tried it when I was trying to lose weight, and its good for that, but it taste nothing like actual coconut milk does. (IMO, after having drank coconut milk for several weeks in Florida).
I know that there are people who use the canned coconut milk and cut it with almond milk so it isnt so thick but they get all to good fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/so-delicious-net-carbs-coconut-milk-unsweetened-39635937

Here is the nutritional facts for goats milk:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/94/2

It is slightly higher in calories and fat than cows milk. I think kids under two need that fat, so this is what I would use.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was concerned about the fat, too.  He is walking, and he will soon be RUNNING!!! and they just burn up a lot of energy at this stage, so they really need nutrient dense food.  He isn't that great of an eater yet, either.  He does have a breastmilk insurance policy, though, as he still nurses quite a lot.  I'm just ready to give up pumping at work, so I need something he can have while he's with my mom.  So goat's milk has different proteins and such from cow's milk?  I wonder if I can get it at the local New Seasons Market (kinda like Whole Foods)?  What does it taste like?  Tangy, like goat's cheese?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Have you ever had fresh goat cheese? It's not as goat-y as the stuff that you can buy at kroger. Local goat cheese is more like tangy cream cheese. The milk is pretty similar.

We use cow milk because it's easier to get locally, but if my kid was allergic to dairy we'd use goat milk.

Here's this:

http://altmedangel.com/milkcomp.htm

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I would use goats milk.

95%+ some of kids who react to cows milk react to goat milk.  I wouldn't chance that.

Isn't the current recommendation for breastmilk or formula till age 2?  I can't keep up the what "they" say anymore! 

Old 08-07-2012, 06:12 PM

The protein in goat milk is very similar to cow's milk so a large percentage of people will react to both. Almond, hemp, and rice milk are some other options. The coconut milk only has 5 grams of fat, but we just add a lot of olive oil etc to make up for it.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

95%+ some of kids who react to cows milk react to goat milk.  I wouldn't chance that.

Isn't the current recommendation for breastmilk or formula till age 2?  I can't keep up the what "they" say anymore! 

Crossposted with you. Our allergist never told us the exact numbers but called goats milk an "unsafe alternative."
Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Really? I'd never heard that. I know several people who are lactose intolerant who drink it, but they are all adults.

SIDS happens. 

Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 PM

All mammal milk contains lactose. Human milk is behind dolphin and whale at the high end. Cow falls below goat at the low end.

Milk substitution depends on what it is being used for. A milk for over cereal is different than a milk for baking.

Lactose intolerance is different than a dairy allergy, which can be to the protein or the fat.

Dairy allergies can increase in severity over time, so products that could be tolerated are no longer tolerated.

Education is key to successfully living with a dairy allergy (as I would think is true of other allergies).

Vegan recipes can provide helpful suggestions for milk substitutions. Look at the various web sites for food allergies and specifically dairy allergies.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

If the dairy allergy is not severe, you could try goat's milk, but my dd still reacted, albeit more mildly.  If the dairy allergy is severe, do not try goat's milk.   It is not a safe substitute.  (If the dairy allergy is severe and you are BFing, I hope you are dairy-free as well).  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM

I am not one to suggest calling the Dr. for things like this but seriously, IF it's an actual IgE allergy to cow milk, I would get your allergists advice about goat milk.  If it's an intolerance and you feel comfortable with the ramifications of trying it, that's up to you.

Also, as someone mentioned, if it's for drinking or cereal or baking VS. actual nutrition, there are a ton of options.  If you need it for nutrition, you really should again ask your Dr. because I would think they'll recommend a formula till age 2.

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List