Curious about eggs and nuts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

DD is 9mos, was EBF til 6mos, and when she was about 8wks I eliminated dairy from my diet to alleviate her dairy related issues (and boy did she thrive - 19lbs by 7mos! Currently sitting at 22lbs, 27" with not much change over the last month). DH has big time gluten issues (which he ignores and it drives me crazy) I believe as a result of being fed cereal from 2wks old at the recommendation of his pedi.  So, that said, DD loves her fruits and veggies, inhales black beans like they are candy, and has done well with barley, quinoa, millet, and amaranth.  She's has brown rice but I always mix it with prunes to avoid constipation.  Her pedi has never acknowledged her dairy issues, so I've been dilligent on my own research and she's been getting probiotics 2-3x daily for almost 2mos now to hopefully make her more tolerant in the future.  I was able to eat small amounts of dairy while still BFing (around 7-8mos)and she tolerated it MUCH better (no spitting up, no gas or fussing), although I've noticed a tiny patch of eczema and some mild acne on her cheeks so I'm back to none and will try again at a later time.  We learned that just one pea-sized drop of plain frozen yogurt was all it took to get her to projectile vomit about 30mins later, not fun.  She also had one other reaction when first starting solids, maybe around 6.5mos, I gave her some GF oats that I blended up myself into a cereal - it left her with a pretty bright red rash on her skin everywhere around her face that the oats touched, and faded away after I washed her face.  Seemed bizzare but we've stayed away from oats.

So I'm curious if anyone has had similar experiences and how did you handle introducing things like eggs and nuts?  I'm pretty sure nuts will be ok bc she did chew on a peanut shell a week ago with no issue and neither DH or myself or any family members have nut allergies and we both eat peanut butter pretty regularly.  She's prob had eggs in baked goods, so I'd like to introduce them since I eat eggs a few times a week for breakfast and usually share my food.  For the most part I'm keeping her to veg/beans/grains/fruits since she's not a bit meat fan and I'm fine with that.  I'm not vegan/vegetarian by any means but I'm slowly moving to a higher portion raw diet (if only I could bash DH over the head and get him to join me...). 

Also, what about fish?  I LOOOVE sushi, and would love for DD to share some with me, I even splurged towards the end of my pregnancy with a few raw salmon rolls from whole foods.....no fish allergies whatsoever on either side of our families.

Sorry, this ended up much longer than I envisioned, but I guess it's better to share her history all at once!  Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Except gluten, specific allergies are not inherited, just the tendency to acquire them.

You could go 2 ways with introducing foods.  Considering how severe her reaction to dairy, you could wait to introduce nuts and fish to her until she a bit older.  Those two have high incidences of anaphylactic reactions, and she might need to be exposed several times before the body reacts.  Children can acquire allergies even at 3 and 4yo and onward after safely consuming them for years.

Of course, there is reasonable advice in the other direction, to not limit these unless you are given reason.

Sometimes a child can have sensitive skin and a smear on their inner wrist might reveal an allergy possibly (this is not a definitive test, but for some is a handy way to identify allergies before consuming them).  Don't rely on the results (unless you see redness and hives) but give it a try with some nut butter.

Eggs I would feel comfortable to introduce.  Baked changes the proteins in eggs, and some can tolerate them this way.  I would not hesitate to give a little in a muffin or as a hard-boiled egg (or a portion of it).  Just be diligent, as you already are.

BTW, raw fish is not recommended for kids.  When do they introduce it in Japan?  I'm open to the idea that our guidelines here are a bit worst-case-scenario, but I personally would probably not feed my child raw fish until much older.

Another BTW:  I'm allergic to oats (and rice too).  Because the allergies are not as common, sometimes people think that you can't be allergic to them, but you can indeed.  Like other grains, they don't have high incidences of anaphylactic reactions.  Nuts, peanuts, shellfish and fish.  Those are the Big 4 for acute, life-threatening reactions.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I think the stats I've read said that 25% of glutent intolerant people can't handle oats, even gf ones. My dd reacts topically to gluten but seemed okay with the oats but I am still iffy on giving them. 

We've done good with eggs but our only true allergy is latex in another dd (she cross reacts terribly).

Maybe sunflower would be a better option than nuts at this point? 

Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

No allergies are specifically I inherited, not eve gluten. If you are speaking of Celiac, that is an autoimmune condition that is Inherated but is not an allergy in any way though the treatment is the same.

Thanks for the correction.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is controversy about the wisdom of delaying introduction. My son's first direct nut taste was age 5 and he had an anaphylactic reaction. But he had had indirect exposure before via cross contamination in gluten free foods. Your daughter has been eating egg and peanut if I'm understanding correctly that you ate them breastfeeding? If you eat any pre-made gluten free or use things like Rob's Red Mill for grains she's getting tree nuts too.

I probably wouldn't withhold foods (except raw fish for reasons outside of allergies). I just don't think the science that avoidance works is strong enough. That said, my son's allergist did want us to avoid peanut and nut until he was old enough to tell us he was having a reaction. I do not do peanut with him and won't (he is anaphylactic to tree nuts and sesame...I don't want peanut too given it's a top ana allergy). So I guess I'm disregarding my own advice! FWIW, my son's twin, who isn't an allergy kid, first had peanut around age 7 and he has never had a problem.

My son did outgrow dairy. We were strict avoiders for many (almost 6) years.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Peanuts are not nuts, but a strange bean. So peanut allergy and tree nut allergies are different.
Oats, I've read, can never be definately gluten free, because they are related to gluten grain closely enough for there to be cross pollination possibilities.
Also, becoming less allwrgic. I've read that it's possible with total avoidance (no accidental or mild contaminations) for 5 years. I've never managed to go that long without some contamination, so I have no personal corroboration for that.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM

I think there is a misunderstanding about what I said.

Peanuts, like soybeans, and kidney beans are legumes (beans).

When I said 5years, I didn't mean 5 years old, but total avoidance for a 5 year period of time.

And all grains are wind pollinated. And I read that oats and wheat (a gluten grain) are so closely related that the only truely gluten free oats have to be grown in an enclosure (like a green house) to prevent cross pollination. (Believe it or not, as you see fit.)

Edited to add: about the 5 years, it goes for adults, too. So I've read. And it has nothing to do with outgrowing them. Again, believe it or not, as you see fit. It hasn't been possible for me, and I just keep getting more sensitive.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Thanks all.  She had her 9mo appt yesterday and the pedi looked at me like I had 10 heads when I mentioned the reaction to the frozen yogurt :-P  Not like I've never metioned the dairy issue to her before, but whatever!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Eggs I would feel comfortable to introduce.  Baked changes the proteins in eggs, and some can tolerate them this way.  I would not hesitate to give a little in a muffin or as a hard-boiled egg (or a portion of it).  Just be diligent, as you already are.

BTW, raw fish is not recommended for kids.  When do they introduce it in Japan?  I'm open to the idea that our guidelines here are a bit worst-case-scenario, but I personally would probably not feed my child raw fish until much older.

Another BTW:  I'm allergic to oats (and rice too).  Because the allergies are not as common, sometimes people think that you can't be allergic to them, but you can indeed.  Like other grains, they don't have high incidences of anaphylactic reactions.  Nuts, peanuts, shellfish and fish.  Those are the Big 4 for acute, life-threatening reactions.

So I did hardboil some eggs and gave her the yolks and she was fine.  She's definitely had them in baked goods so I wasn't worried as much as curious about that one so on to scrambled we shall go!  I'd also love to know when they introduce raw fish in other countries although I would definitely start her on cooked fish first.  I'm glad to hear that oats can cause reaction (not glad you are allergic, but glad I'm not crazy in noticing it!) and I figure I will give her time and reintroduce them later.  Although I myself eat a TON of oatmeal, all through my pregnancy and while nursing especially in the colder months so she was exposed through me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

I think the stats I've read said that 25% of glutent intolerant people can't handle oats, even gf ones. My dd reacts topically to gluten but seemed okay with the oats but I am still iffy on giving them. 

We've done good with eggs but our only true allergy is latex in another dd (she cross reacts terribly).

Maybe sunflower would be a better option than nuts at this point? 

So I find it odd that my dd reacts to oats but is fine with gluten!  Funny thing allergies are.  I do love sunbutter and have some in the fridge I could try her on at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

My son did outgrow dairy. We were strict avoiders for many (almost 6) years.

I'm trying to be dillagent in the dairy avoidance department.  Pedi told me yesterday to try her again at a year (which is in 3 mos) and I was like "um, no thanks, that's a bit too soon" and I plan to BF until she weans so "cow milk" is not a necessity and it's not something we even have in our house....I haven't drank any in over 5 years - I go back and forth between almond and coconut milk. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I think there is a misunderstanding about what I said.
Peanuts, like soybeans, and kidney beans are legumes (beans).
When I said 5years, I didn't mean 5 years old, but total avoidance for a 5 year period of time.
And all grains are wind pollinated. And I read that oats and wheat (a gluten grain) are so closely related that the only truely gluten free oats have to be grown in an enclosure (like a green house) to prevent cross pollination. (Believe it or not, as you see fit.)
Edited to add: about the 5 years, it goes for adults, too. So I've read. And it has nothing to do with outgrowing them. Again, believe it or not, as you see fit. It hasn't been possible for me, and I just keep getting more sensitive.

I understood :-)  And I totally get the cross pollination (I'm a big follower of the anti-monsanto seed/crop movement with all of their patented seed dna blowing in the wind and pollinating non-monsanto crops leading to legal battles and putting farmers into bankruptcy, but that's for another post LOL!) 

Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

So I find it odd that my dd reacts to oats but is fine with gluten!  Funny thing allergies are.  I do love sunbutter and have some in the fridge I could try her on at some point.

I recently did a wheat challenge to confirm the results of my allergy test, which indicated *no* wheat allergy, though all other cereal grains I tested for were positive.  My challenge, besides proving that I have zero willpower, turned up nothing--no reaction.  I did have a blood test for celiac which was negative, and there just wasn't enough indication to continue to more definitive tests.  So, go figure.  How wheat, out of all the cereal grains, can be OK.  Just goes to show anything's possible.

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List