Allergens while pregnant, newly breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any links to how allergens pass into baby while you're pregnant?  Like, if it's probably baby will end up with a gluten sensitivity, is it an issue if mom consumes gluten while pregnant?  And how long prior to delivery is it necessary to cut gluten in order to benefit baby/not transfer gluten through breastmilk?  Does it matter, or can it be done just prior to the milk coming in?  Is gluten transferred into milk if mom had it and it's not out of *her* blood system yet, say a few weeks prior?  Or is it only if you're actively consuming it?

Are there any good info links to read up?  Baby isn't here yet, but it's highly probable he will have a gluten issue given previous kiddos.

ETA:  I'm not Celiac nor gluten sensitive, but my husband is.  We've had a positive diagnosis with oldest, confirmation once removing it with #2 and 3, though no testing at all.  My husband's conditions improve when not on it as well.  But I don't have any issues with gluten.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Ooooh, this is a good question.  I'm interested in hearing what people know as well.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This is for Celiac specific. I was told by a top Celiac researcher not to li it my diet while pregnate or nursing unless I saw signs ere was an issue when the baby got here. There isn't strong data of if and how much would pass via breast milk. In some women it does and some it doesn't. If you want to limit your diet, you an but there isn't any research on it being effective.
#4 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

This is for Celiac specific. I was told by a top Celiac researcher not to li it my diet while pregnate or nursing unless I saw signs ere was an issue when the baby got here. There isn't strong data of if and how much would pass via breast milk. In some women it does and some it doesn't. If you want to limit your diet, you an but there isn't any research on it being effective.

THANK YOU!!  You have made me feel so much better!!  I have been beating myself up the last couple days wondering if I'm going to hurt him by having had it as late as this week and due just about any day now.  But I've had a lot of nausea and a few key staples which include gluten have helped me with weight and nausea. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  flowersforyou.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page