question for those with corn allergies! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have recently discovered that my son has issues with corn (i have known about dairy, soy, and gluten, but it wasn't until recently that i realized that corn was also causing the symptoms to stick around).  can anyone give me a quicklist of things to avoid? any products that are a go-to for those days that you just need a quick meal? condiments, etc?? any website resources are welcomed.  TIA!!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Corn. A tough allergy, in my opinion.

I am allergic to conventional corn, but tolerate organic. So I can eat frozen organic corn.

Corn starch is frequently used in baking powder, salt, and ground spices to prevent clumping (and doesn't have to be listed). Corn also is in sugar, either as corn starch (anti-clumping) or as the sugar along with sugar cane and sugar beet.

High fructose corn syrup and corn syrup are corn. Not obvious to some of my relatives.

Yeast can be raised on corn syrup, so I avoid yeast foods.

As far as products go, I have few recommendations. My son also has food allergies that are different than mine and there is little we can both tolerate. Most of what we buy is juice, tomato paste, pasta, dried herbs (simply organic or frontier organic) and the like. In other words, ingredients for my own sauces, etc.

Also, we avoid poultry and eggs, pork, and conventional beef because of corn feed. Not sure if this is an issue for you.
#3 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

ugh, it's so hard to know! corn and corn derivatives are EVERYWHERE! I am trying to figure out what the limits are for my son...I guess the only way to do it is to eliminate everything and then reintroduce.  We already make most of our stuff from scratch given the other dietary limitations, but I definitely am loathing having to add another layer of caution to the point of worrying about salt, spices, toothpaste, etc.  It's mind boggling to say the least.  I am definitely thankful that we have no life threatening allergies - that would be scary. 

thanks for the input!!

p.s. - doesn't it seem obvious that high fructose CORN syrup is a corn product! We went through the same thing with people forgetting that butter was a dairy product duh.gif

#4 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Try this:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

or this:

http://www.cornallergyadvocate.com/

Two different sites maintains by allergic individuals.

The best way to avoid corn completely (or as best you can) is to avoid *any* processed food, and sticking to unwaxed organic for produce.

I am also allergic to corn, not severely but my tongue swells a bit and my breath gets short and I start coughing.  I find that not  all corn ingredients are created equal in causing reactions, and I am not sure why.  Xanthum gum for me seems to have a disproportionate response for the amount in the recipe.  So, perhaps you'll find this for your son as well.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Try this:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

or this:

http://www.cornallergyadvocate.com/

Two different sites maintains by allergic individuals.

awesome! (but depressing! lol-ish)

The best way to avoid corn completely (or as best you can) is to avoid *any* processed food, and sticking to unwaxed organic for produce.

gotchya

I am also allergic to corn, not severely but my tongue swells a bit and my breath gets short and I start coughing.  I find that not  all corn ingredients are created equal in causing reactions, and I am not sure why.  Xanthum gum for me seems to have a disproportionate response for the amount in the recipe.  So, perhaps you'll find this for your son as well.

I find this to be true with all of our issues...my first step is trying to eat clean foods that are non reactive for us, but the next step is to try and heal and seal the gut.  i know some people are weary about the GAPS stuff, but it's just sounds to logical not to try.

I'm hoping that the corn is the reason why my son will just mysteriously spit out most of his food regardless if he has eaten it before and likes it.  if it's the corn, there is an end in sight! if it's not, i really don't know why he won't eat headscratch.gif  he does react with terrible painful diarrhea and bad bags around his eyes if i eat corn directly, and he gets really uncomfortable poos and still gets bad bags on his eyes if it is in processed stuff...in addition to being very clingy, disrupted sleep, etc. i learned this when relying on some gluten free junk food...it's weird, the other dietary stuff wasn't a huge issue for me, but the corn is really, really hard...i can deal with making most of my food from scratch, but it's those days where you just need something else to rely on...and spices and salt, that's a toughie....end vent!

Thanks for the links

#6 of 7 Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not everything is corn-free on those lists. It all depends on sensitivity. Also cross-contamination can be a problem.

My 7 year old dd is so super sensitive and she has to use corn-free toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc.  

Avoiding corn is a good forum to seek information.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn/messages/?start=Start+Reading+ 

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#7 of 7 Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM

xylitol can be from birch or corn. If you're going to use it, see which one it is first.

Dextrose, maltodextrin, citric acid (used in some tomato pastes, and most if not all tomato sauce)

confectioners sugar

baking powder

I'm trying to remember what else. In tons of deli meats (like all Boars Head deli meats contain dextrose or maltodextrin).

Three of us in the family avoided it for 3 years (one of those avoided it for 5 years; she's only 7yo).

She tolerated Dr. Bronner's soap but most other soaps were a problem for her.

She couldn't tolerate it even in things she played with (glues, etc. so look at craft products as well)

We couldn't use xanthan gum (because of the corn) and DS reacted to guar gum, so we used karaya gum in baking GF breads, etc. (sold under Wilton's Gum Tex found at craft stores and some Walmarts). I used equal amounts of karaya gum for what they said to use for xanthan gum.

modified food starch can be from wheat or corn (because of the prevalence of gluten intolerance these days, a lot of companies are switching to cornstarch).

Watch for it in medicines/supplements too. I think cellulose might be corn derived too. That one seems to be niggling a corner of my brain.

White vinegar (Heinz I know is corn) can be corn or any wheat.

I made my own vanilla because the alcohol usually used in vanilla extracts is corn (I used Ciroc, vodka made from grapes as my base, then added vanilla beans and let sit for months). A lot of homeopathics are also in a corn alcohol base.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page