14 month old sensitive to everything, at wits end. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, need some help here. DS is 14 months old in a few weeks and still breastfed. We have had no dairy for over a year and isseverely alergic to it. Lately, I cannot get him to eat anything without having a tummy ache. no berries, grapes, (haven't tried citrus), peas, corn, beans (even me) and nwo I'm curious about grains. I do little to no grains but I feel like he has been eating a ton of them and has major poops all day for the last few weeks ad now a really sore red butt (no bumps or rash). Thought it was teething but it's not real soupy, it's pretty solid but a lot of it. THe other night he had pure squares of butternut squash in his poop like he hadn't digested it. This is frequent with most foods. I gave him cashew LARA bar the other day and it came out like it went in....we eat nuts and peanuts with no visible reaction. He had pretzels the other day which he has had before and there was MALT in them which is the only thing that I can see that would have been negative. He was up until 11pm screaming and pooping.

#1 - should I take him to get tested?

#2 - What the heck do I feed him? He loves his sandwiches, crackers and despises any sort of meat right now so I'm totally stuck with food ideas from a foodie mom.

Help and advice please!!

#2 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM

This is most definately not normal and I would take him in to be tested for food allergies. His belly not digesting food isn't normal either, I don't think. Honestly, I would feed him whatever he will eat that doesn't cause an upset stomach and try to get him in to be seen asap.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

You'll want to make sure the foods you are giving them aren't contaminated with other allergens.  

Possibly the squash came zooming through because his gut is already irritated and this is just how fast it passes stuff through.  The gut does not get irritated with an allergen and then *pop* back to normal for everything else.   It stays at a slightly lower level of irritation for days after exposure, and everything else that is eaten gets charged on through.

So, while it's possible that foods like butternut squash cause irritation, I suspect it is more because of the constant state of alert his body is in.  Just a guess, though.

I think testing would be a good option here.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 AM

It sounds like a possible corn allergy to me. Also, we have corn allergies here and have had reactions to Lara Bars, from what I have heard I believe they used to be corn free but are not now. Here is some info, and a great blog about going corn free:

http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/#uds-search-results

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. We took him to an AAT practicioner and found corn, wheat, dairy, grains (need to explore what grains though, hoping we can still do quinoa), acids (WOW!), soy, sugars, proteins and chicken. We will do a GF diet and the corn is a hard one. I agree that his body is always in constant state of alert so it makes a lot of sense now. Poor little man!  Tanks for the corn allergy information, that's super helpful. We did an acid treatment last night so I'm hoping it will help with the digestive side of it!

#6 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 AM

It sounds like your best bet just may be to go on either the SCD or the GAPS diet. They are both grain free, sugar free, there are slight differences between the two diets but I don't remember them at this time.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page