Help with nondairy milk! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having trouble figuring out a good milk for my daughter (well for my husband and I as well). We can all tolerate any dairy except milk. I have Celiac (and we suspect my daughter does too but she is a little young to test) and only have issues with cow's milk and no other dairy. My daughter gets horrible rashes from cow's milk. I don't want to drink soy or grain-based milks. We can't do almond due to the salicylate content. And I would like to avoid carageenan. My daughter currently drinks hemp, but it has carageenan and I can't find any info on the salicylate content. I am pretty sure coconut has carageenan as well plus it is on some high salicylate lists. What is left for us to drink?? So basically it needs to be dairy free, grain free, low salicylate, and carageenan free. Doesn't seem promising. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

How old is your DD?  If she's under 2 she should be nursing or on some kind of formula to be sure she's getting the fats she needs. What do you need milk for? Why are you wanting to avoid grains?  

It does seem like a tough one.  I guess I would ask why you are avoiding things and see if maybe one of the "rules" can be bent if possible. I have found with alternative foods I have sometimes had to sacrifice something to be able to feed my kids.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM

How old is she?  Why do you need to drink any milk at all?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

My daughter is 2.5. We need milk for the calcium....yes I know you can get calcium from foods, but most of those foods are high salicylate. She is salicylate sensitive so we can't over do it with those foods. I prefer grain free milk because oats often contain gluten, and I have read bad things about the nutritional content of rice milk. Carageenan is supposed to be very inflammatory to the gut and with Celiac (and two other autoimmune diseases with my dad and sister) in our family, I would like to avoid causing unnecessary inflammation. Inflammation is the root of all of these autoimmune diseases.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 PM

I think it's probably best to figure out which foods are rich in calcium but lower in salicylates, or look into a good supplement.  

Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you need calcium and you really need to keep away from all those things, why not use a supplement?  A calcium with D would be easier if calcium is the only reason you need a milk.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

If you need calcium and you really need to keep away from all those things, why not use a supplement?  A calcium with D would be easier if calcium is the only reason you need a milk.

I think you and I keep cross-posting, LOL!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM

Have you tried sunflower seed milk? Sol is one brand I know. You may have to buy online. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just saw sunflower seed milk at Whole Foods! I will have to check it out. Sunflower seeds are supposed to be low sal.
I do give her a supplement, but it's only 20% of the RDA. It may be enough, but I still worry because I'm good at that.smile.gif I will have to see if there are better sal-free, gluten free supplements out there.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 PM

It must be so hard to feed your family!  Kudos to you for being so in tune with your daughter's sensitivities and nutritional needs!  She is a very lucky girl.

I have been gluten-free for 6 days and it's not impossible but I would have such a hard time with other restrictions!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

It must be so hard to feed your family!  Kudos to you for being so in tune with your daughter's sensitivities and nutritional needs!  She is a very lucky girl.

I have been gluten-free for 6 days and it's not impossible but I would have such a hard time with other restrictions!

Thanks! It's even harder because until my gut heals from the recently diagnosed Celiac, I have 36 foods that I am intolerant to. Several of them are veggies my daughter can handle. The ones I can handle, she can't handle. It's been a frustrating journey!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Just curious, what are symptoms of high sal foods? I drink a ton of almond milk.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ11 View Post

Just curious, what are symptoms of high sal foods? I drink a ton of almond milk.

There are tons of symptoms and you can experience several symptoms or even just one. Rashes, itchy skin, fatigue, frequent need to urinate, headaches, sleep problems, etc. And of course those can be symptoms of so many things.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Wow, you are on top of it Mama! Good job.

Can't really help you with the milk as you listed the only ones I'm aware of. orngtongue.gif

I actually don't plan on giving my 1 year old milk, but instead eating foods rich in calcium (salmon) and supplementing. Milk is overrated and over-processed in my humble opinion. Good luck!!

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List