2 year old has never had a solid bowel movement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My toddler was a BF baby, born at home and non-vaxed. He eats mostly organic, very little meat and gets a ton of vitamins. However, he has never had a solid bowel movement. All are mushy, some are watery.

Otherwise he is very healthy, happy and sweet. Not gassy, no upset stomach, no runny nose (although just lately he has actually), no itching or sneezing. Doctor is not worried. Said he is probably healthier than most kids and this is HIS "normal" so he is fine. I realize this is his "normal", but this is NOT normal, right??

Has anyone experienced the same? Could he have some undiagnosed allergy? I've tried taking away all vitamins; same diaper, just less frequent. I'm thinking of getting his blood anaylised to see for any food sensitivities?

Help? Thanks guys

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#2 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Hi. I'm bumping up your post for attention. smile.gif Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Any reason to suspect Celiac?  My DS never had a normal BM till he was dx, went GF for 3 months. That didn't solve it till we also added a GOOD probiotic.  After 3 days of it, 100% change to normal BM's.  He was 4 and had never had one.  

If you suspect Celiac, I would NOT go GF till you get blood work done for it.  Once you are GF you have to go back on gluten for the testing so it's easier to get the testing BEFORE.  It could also be some kind of gluten intolerance as well even if not Celiac.

Good luck@

#4 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No this is def not normal! I can't believe a doctor would tell you that!

Blood tests for celiacs and gluten sensitivities can be very unreliable.

We used this lab for my DS and we were able to identify many of his sensitivities. They also do genetic testing. Once he was off foods he was sensitive to, his BM's firmed right up.

https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/TestToOrder.aspx

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Celiac testing is VERY specific for Celiac.  Saying it is unreliable can be misleading.  The younger the child, there is a risk of a false negative but that has to do with age, exposure and damage done. 

Enterolab's science leave much to be desired.  Having looked into the science, it is lacking.  I know many people swear by it but they are also stripped of many many foods, most often unnecessarily.

(OP, I am not saying that it is Celiac.  I am just suggesting it may be something to look into.  Honestly, with no other issues, I would be more inclined to try a very good Probiotic and see if that helps first.  We use Custom Probiotics and as I said had success within 3 days)

#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Celiac testing is VERY specific for Celiac.  Saying it is unreliable can be misleading.  The younger the child, there is a risk of a false negative but that has to do with age, exposure and damage done. 

Enterolab's science leave much to be desired.  Having looked into the science, it is lacking.  I know many people swear by it but they are also stripped of many many foods, most often unnecessarily.

(OP, I am not saying that it is Celiac.  I am just suggesting it may be something to look into.  Honestly, with no other issues, I would be more inclined to try a very good Probiotic and see if that helps first.  We use Custom Probiotics and as I said had success within 3 days)

I should not have lumped celiacs in with gluten sensitivity. I will reword. Blood tests are inaccurate for gluten sensitivity in particular.

To each his own. I disagree with your assessment of enterolab.  Once one gets the results of the stool test and sees what one is sensitive too, it is fairly easy to confirm by doing an elimination diet with those particular foods which by the way are not many many at all. Once in a while we try reintroducing various things that came up in the test with DS and it is obvious within a few days

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

No this is def not normal! I can't believe a doctor would tell you that!

Blood tests for celiacs and gluten sensitivities can be very unreliable.

We used this lab for my DS and we were able to identify many of his sensitivities. They also do genetic testing. Once he was off foods he was sensitive to, his BM's firmed right up.

https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/TestToOrder.aspx

I'll look into this. Thank you so much guys!!

I had his blood looked at and everything was normal, no sign of allergies or sensitivities. And the woman said his BMs looked normal and beautiful. (I brought in a diaper.) peanut butter consistency is good she said.

I don't know...... I do feel a lot better tho

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page