Help! My baby is so sick. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is just over a year. At 1 month old he had bloody stools and was diagnosed with milk allergy. I had low supply and needed to supplement. We started Alimentum and I stupidly made the decision to wean him. I had spent two years nursing a very allergic child and I just didn't have it in me to do all the elim diets, etc again. He did well on the Alimentum until at 4 mos he refused to drink it anymore. We tried a standard formula and he seemed to tolerate it. Two months later tho he was terribly constipated and the doctor diagnosed him with milk protein constipation. He did not tolerate soy (rash and vomitting) or goats milk, and he wouldn't drink the Alimentum still, so we toughed it and used Miralax and dietary measures and kept him on the milk-based formula. Other than constipation, he had no symptoms of allergy, and as he approached a year, his diet was unrestricted. He ate cheese, bread, eggs, all fruits and vegetables, even a little nut butter.

I gave him cows milk starting at his first birthday. He reacted poorly, starting with eczema on his thighs and loose stools with mucus. We went back to formula and he seemed to improve for a few days, then his eczema started spreading with a vengeance. It was all over his arms, trunk, and legs, and his stools were awful.

I put him on a strict milk-free diet 5 days ago and his eczema cleared considerably (tho we are doing major moisturizing with Aveeno eczema therapy) but his stools have not improved. He has basically had diarrhea (6-8 stools a day, very loose, lots of mucus and undigested foods) for 3 weeks! I started a TED three days ago of rice, turkey, pears, and squash, but the diarrhea persists. IDK what else to do! His bum is flaming red, and it so hard to get him to eat. I don't think he is getting enough calories, def not enough fat, so I ditched the TED tonight and gave him some Sunbutter and bananas. He's getting enough fluids, but if I don't get him digesting something soon he is going to lose weight! I am so worried!

He was fine before introducing the whole milk. He ate everything with nary a rash! The only thing I can think of is that his allergy bucket was just teetering under its limit and now its just overflowing like mad! We are a very allergic family, I have 2 other children who have classic food allergies, and all my kids have allergies of some type. Milk, nuts, and eggs are the big offenders in our house. Does this sound like allergies to you? What do I do ?

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#2 of 2 Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

First, get his pediatrician in the loop, if s/he is not already.  If you trust her and she gives the thumbs up, continue as you are, but schedule follow-ups and don't hesitate to call the office's 24-hr on-call provider if things turn south.

If you haven't yet, get a referral going right away so you can make an appointment with an allergist whether this clears up or not.

Now that's out of the way, don't ditch the TED you have started quite yet.  Three days (now 5?) is not enough time.  Is the rice white rice?  I might seriously consider feeding him white rice instead of brown in his case, until his loose stools clear up.  Rice can also be an allergen as well, even though it is less common.

Pears can cause loose stools.  If you can find another fruit he can tolerate, substitute it for a while and see if the diarrhea clears up.  Bananas (not extra ripe ones) help, if they can be tolerated.

He needs fat in that diet, so if he can tolerate the sunbutter, spread it liberally on rice crackers and top it off with honey.  Feed him the dark turkey meant, if you can, which has more fat.

Let him eat as much of that as he wants.  Absolutely do not restrict what he chooses to eat (within the TED and as you add foods back in that seem OK).  My daughter did not learn until she was nearly 3 that the weird, growly feeling in her belly got better with food.  Though it is learned quite early, the hunger-food connection not an automatic one, and can be hijacked if a child's experience with food is accompanied by pain, like allergies.  My point is don't assume he will eat once he's hungry enough.  Get him making positive connections with food, even if it means a whole day of rice crackers with sunbutter and honey.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page