GAPS for Salicylate Sensitivity? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you tried the GAPS diet to help with salicylate sensitivity? I have found several blogs where people have tried this, but no one seems to follow up with the results. I am starting the diet for myself and am wondering if my daughter should be on it too. I am so unsure of the cause of a salicylate sensitivity so I'm not sure if the GAPS diet is a logical remedy. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Are you thinking of the Feingold diet which eliminates artificial food dyes, flavorings, preservatives, Aspartame and, initially, salicylates? The place to go is the Feingold Association www.feingold.org . There's also a Yahoo group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feingold-Program4us/ and a Facebook page. So worth it.

#3 of 5 Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I have heard of Feingold and it appears that we already do this on our own. I have heard of people trying GAPS too though, but have never heard the results. Feingold avoids sals, but GAPS supposedly heals and allows you to eat sals. I am a little skeptical which is why I wanted to ask. Thanks for the Feingold links! Maybe I should stick with that route. Thanks for your response!
#4 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM

GAPS has cured our sals issues - although we have done alot of other stuff as well like heaps and heaps of epsom baths (2 a day) and no phenol enzymes etc. 

#5 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

GAPS is a digestive tract healing protocol.  If you're not really sal sensitive but instead are reacting to what's not broken down properly--it makes sense that GAPS would fix that.

Feingold removes sals.

We've done both.  We did GAPS several years ago (2005-ish) and weren't even aware we had issues with sals.  In 2007-ish, we did Feingold and found we had hellacious issues with sals.  We're now going back to GAPS (for my daughter born in 2008) but we were doing it to address my youngest daughter's issues that are not related to sals.

People wind up on GAPS for quite a long time as healing the gut isn't really a "few months" thing.  I'm also hesitant.  We did several things back in 2005 and it was hard to know what caused what results.  I've only seen/heard a few people that rave about GAPS and I wonder how many others there are who may just not have been able to stick to it long enough.  But there are people that have done it even a short period of time and seen changes in their childrens sensory issues, etc.  So it clearly does something positive.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page