Baby reacts more to allergen in breastmilk than if ingested directly (?) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone experienced this? I don't know if it even makes sense, or if it's what we are seeing here. My daughter just turned 2. She was pretty miserable for the first 11 months of her life... constant runny nose/cough, constipation even while exclusively breastfed, and poor night sleeping due to gas pains in tummy. She refused a bottle or I would have switched to allergen-free formula pretty early on. We were dairy free from about 4 months on, which helped somewhat, but she really got better when we cut out gluten around 11 months. So we've both been gluten free & dairy free for over a year, and she's doing well. She still nurses 1-2x / day, but there doesn't seem to be much there. I can't really tell. Anyway, a couple times over the last year, after the initial diet change, she's had random accidental bites of cracker or whatever and it hasn't seemed to bother her. It hasn't happened very often though. But she seems to be affected if I eat it. Last weekend I had the most gluten I've had in a year - a friend's baby shower at lunch and a dinner at my grandma's where I decided to eat what I was served - a LOT of bread!!! Amazing how much bread people eat! I felt perfectly fine. But my daughter started having issues sleeping on Sunday night, and same again last night, and her nose is running again too. It could of course be her molars coming in, or whatever, but just wanted to see if anyone has had this experience where it seems like the allergen through breastmilk is worse than the allergen itself.  There have been a few other times in the past where it seemed like what I ate bothered her more than what she ate. Thanks.

Bethany
#2 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Scientifically, it doesn't add up. I would tend to think it is molars or over doing it or something else.  That or you are eating something coincidentally that's setting her off.

#3 of 5 Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear!

#4 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 AM

It's also possible that she's reacting to your reactions, and you just don't notice your reactions (or attribute them to something else).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean, reacting to my reaction?

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page