Ideas for navigating allergies during Halloween? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD just turned 2-- she is looking forward to trick-or-treating in her costume but because of her rotation/elimination diet and her relatively severe milk allergy, most commercial candies are a no-go. Is anyone else on this board facing the same situation and what are you doing to navigate around it? I was thinking of doing a "candy swap" where she can trade candy for different presents. Other ideas?

#2 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM

My son gets migraines from sugar, artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners. While we didn't realize it was migraines when he was little, we did realize he cried in pain whenever he ate them. Therefore, all candy was off limits.

I was worried about Halloween, too. As it turned out, he had a great attitude about it. We began a tradition of trick-or-treating, then giving his father some of the candy to take to work(from those we didn't know). The rest (from those we knew) we took to our local bookstore, where some of the workers knew us because of all the time we spent there reading books I couldn't afford to buy. Anyway, he would show off his costume, and give someone we knew the candy. If you aren't known anywhere, you could try a nursing home. The older folks would love to see her costume! Or some other single treat.

One year, when one of the neighborhood children found out my son couldn't have candy, all our neighbors had non-candy treats just for my son! That was a great year!!
#3 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Aw those are great ideas! And what sweet neighbors you have.

#4 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM

My daughter is 2 and so excited to trick-or-treat this year. She knows that regular candy gives her owies though. I was going to have her trade in her candy for a new toy until I found a company called Indie Candy. They don't have anything that my daughter reacts to (most importantly the salicylates). It seems expensive, but the candy is the best I've tried (especially the gummies and cookies). Very good quality. I don't work for them or anything just to be clear.smile.gif Anyways, I will have her trade in her mainstream candy for the good candy when we get home. Check them out though to see if your child can eat their candy. I ordered the back to school bucket. They took out the YummiEarth candy (salicylates) and gave us candy that is safe so they will definitely help you customize things.www.indiecandy.com
#5 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM

I was just talking about this with my older dd. In the past I have always just let her pick a few safe treats, I've done the trading thing, etc.. We still end up with more candy than I like in the house. This year, we may do the Halloween Fairy type of thing where they leave their candy out and then the next day it is traded for a toy.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Two years ago, I think, I went around to the neighbors that I knew we'd trick or treat at & stashed things that my kids are able to eat.  My children were so surprised that they got stuff that they could eat!  Of course, this requires some cooperation from neighbors, but it wasn't an issue w/ mine.  I just told them all my kids have allergies & can't eat the usual stuff - please give them this instead.  This was easier years ago when our diet wasn't as limited as it is now (& I could still buy things like fruit leathers, honey sticks, etc. - these are things we don't eat now trying not to feed candida).  

Earlier this year, ds1 suggested I do this!  Great minds think a like!

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#7 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

These are great ideas, thanks guys! We're new in our neighborhood so I'm not sure how comfortable I feel dropping off treats to folks I don't know well, but next year that is a brilliant idea!

#8 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasMommy10 View Post

My daughter is 2 and so excited to trick-or-treat this year. She knows that regular candy gives her owies though. I was going to have her trade in her candy for a new toy until I found a company called Indie Candy. They don't have anything that my daughter reacts to (most importantly the salicylates). It seems expensive, but the candy is the best I've tried (especially the gummies and cookies). Very good quality. I don't work for them or anything just to be clear.smile.gif Anyways, I will have her trade in her mainstream candy for the good candy when we get home. Check them out though to see if your child can eat their candy. I ordered the back to school bucket. They took out the YummiEarth candy (salicylates) and gave us candy that is safe so they will definitely help you customize things.www.indiecandy.com

What a great website! Just checked this out and got a bunch of things for her to have. Brilliant! Thanks so much :)

#9 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Yay! Glad you are trying it. Hope you love it as much as we do.
#10 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 AM

http://www.naturalcandystore.com/ is another candy store with lots of alternatives (my kids didn't like any of the indie candy things they could have). My two younger kids (food intolerances) give almost all their candy to their older sister. There are some they can have now. Smarties and dum dums are about it. But for a few years there were no safe treats at all. I traded them for things I made or sometimes a small Lego set. Going out in their costume is half the fun. And we talked about it ahead of time every year to remind them that they wouldn't be able to eat most/all the candy they got.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page